Job Opening ID: 222288
Job Network : Internal Security and Safety
Job Family : Security
Category and Level : Catégorie des services généraux et catégories apparentées, G-6
Duty Station : GUATEMALA CITY
Department/Office : Department of Safety and Security
Date Posted : Nov 20, 2023
Deadline : Dec 19, 2023
Org. Setting and Reporting
The Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) is responsible for providing leadership, operational support and oversight of the United Nations security management system (UNSMS) globally. As a global leader in security risk management principles, UNDSS enables the safe and effective delivery of United Nations programmes and activities in the most complex and challenging environments, while maximizing precious resources. To this end, the work of the Department is aligned under a clear mission, to enable United Nations system programme activities through trusted security leadership and solutions.
This is a unique opportunity to join a diverse, dynamic and exciting organization gaining unique and valuable experience where security provides great value. Besides the opportunity to gain new skills and further advance security expertise, this position offers a fulfilling environment that gives you satisfaction by contributing directly or indirectly to peace and security, human rights, and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals. For more information on the Department, and how we make an impact on the world in enabling the achievement of SDGs, visit: https://www.un.org/undss.
This position is located in Department of Safety and Security in the field office of Guatemala City, Guatemala. Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Security Adviser, the Field Security Associate assists in the implementation of security operations and all matters relating to the management of safety and security for UN personnel in the Area of Responsibility.
This position is subject to local recruitment pursuant to staff rule 4.4 of the United Nations Staff Rules. Applicants for positions in the General Service and related categories must be authorized to work for the United Nations in the duty station where the position is located. Eligible applicants selected from outside the duty station are responsible for any expenses in connection with their relocation to the duty station. Staff members subject to local recruitment are not eligible for allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international recruitment.
Within limits of delegated authority, the Field Security Associate is responsible for the following duties:
Assists the Security Adviser in collecting, updating and communicating information regarding the security situation in Guatemala City:
• Liaises and coordinates, as appropriate, with the host government security organizations and/or personnel, including national and local provincial authorities, military, and police officers, as well as non-governmental organizations in the area of operation;
• Helps to assess the security situation at the duty station and ensures adequate gathering and verification of security information that may be required for a proper analysis of the situation;
• Communicates information on security issues to the heads of United Nations agencies and provides host country security advice to UNDSS, as required;
• Maintains regular contacts with Security Focal Points of UN agencies;
• Assists in managing the local cost share security budget;
• May be requested to provide technical assistance at Area/Security Management Team meetings
Assists in maintaining the Security Plan, including updating staff lists:
• Helps in the preparation and review of the UN Security Plan;
• Supports actions during the implementation of the Security Plan, as required
Assists with the monitoring of the security measures implementation as recommended in the Security Risks Management (SRM) process for the AoR.
Assists in reporting security incidents affecting UN staff, offices and assets, and assists in the preparation of security reports, such as the Security Incident Report and other Security Assessments.
Provides support in organizing and conducting training courses on security awareness and preparedness and providing security orientation to newly assigned staff members. Conducts security briefings, as required.
Performs other security-related tasks:
• Provides support in conducting security evaluations and provides advice on Residential Security Measures of UN staff, as well as on latest trends and threats to staff safety and security;
• Establishes and maintains warden system and keeps update of information related to UN offices and residences;
• Administers a pass and ID system;
• Maintains liaison with commercial companies used for UN security at offices and residences in order to facilitate the effective and efficient use of the guard force.
Provides general administrative assistance:
• Maintains routine and confidential correspondence files/documents.
• Maintains a database on contact details of host country security authorities.
• Arranges appointments, receives visitors, places and screens telephone calls with discretion, and takes minutes and/or notes at meeting
Performs other duties as assigned.
Professionalism: Knowledge in the field of security risk management, especially of the UNSMS. Ability to make quick decisions in emergencies or when rapid response is required. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
High school Diploma or equivalent is required.
Job – Specific Qualification
Seven (7) years of work experience in security, risk or disaster or emergency areas with security responsibilities, in the public or private service areas, such as national security, military or police, or in a corporate environment is required. The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced to 5 for candidates who possess a first-level university degree or higher.
Experience in the use of Microsoft applications i.e. Word, Excel Access and PowerPoint are required.
Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO is desirable.
Experience in the use of radio communications systems is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English and Spanish (oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.