Job Opening ID: 222280
Job Network : Management and Administration
Job Family : Audit
Category and Level : Administrateurs et des fonctionnaires de rang supérieur, P-2
Duty Station : MONTREAL
Department/Office : International Civil Aviation Organization
Date Posted : Nov 20, 2023
Deadline : Dec 21, 2023
Org. Setting and Reporting
The mandate of the Office of Internal Oversight (OIO) is to assist the Secretary General and the ICAO Governing Body in ensuring that ICAO is managed effectively, efficiently, and economically and in conformity with the applicable regulations and rules, and to provide independent and objective assurance, advice, insight and foresight through performing internal audits, evaluations, and other oversight assignments as appropriate. OIO is based at ICAO Headquarters in Montreal.
OIO contributes to the improvement of governance, risk management, and control processes; and to the improvement of programme management and achievement of results, using a systematic and disciplined approach that ensures accountability for the effective and efficient use of organizational resources in accordance with the approved Budget and Business Plan. OIO provides an annual report of its performance and activities to the ICAO Council (Resident Legislative Body) for consideration and work plans are prepared based on a risk assessment considering feedback and in consultation with the ICAO senior management and the Council. OIO reports administratively to the Secretary General but is not part of operational management.
The Associate Oversight Officer reports directly to the Chief, Office of Internal Oversight (C/OIO), who provides supervision of assigned tasks, takes decisions on priorities, and provides guidance and instructions, as required, on special tasks or complex matters.
Function1 (incl. Expected results)
Coordinates the preparation of annual/triennial OIO work plans, annual report of the C/OIO to the Council, and other working papers, achieving results such as:
• Contribute to an approved work programme that meets the Organization’s main priorities and concerns.
• Prepare an annual report that highlights the activities of OIO and the key risks and challenges facing the organization.
• Ensure updated oversight policies and procedures and implementation of data analytics and data visualization tools for OIO.
• Contribute to the effective implementation of OIO’s quality assurance and improvement program (QAIP), including internal and external quality reviews.
• Prepare accurate statistics, graphs, and data visualizations for council working papers, OIO reports, and presentations, including to the Evaluation and Audit Advisory Committee (EAAC) and External Auditors.
Function 2 (incl. Expected results)
Conducts and/or supports oversight assignments of major business units, operations, systems, and processes of the Organization both at the Headquarters and in Regional Offices, achieving results such as:
• Prepare and/or contribute to the preparation of oversight engagement plans, preliminary and residual risk assessments, and programmes/TORs as appropriate.
• Define and/or contribute to objectives and scope for oversight assignments in compliance with applicable Standards and Norms.
• Prepare Audit working papers that document the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls and compliance with policies, rules, and procedures in an accurate and complete manner.
• Draft and/or contribute to oversight reports with well-defined findings, conclusions, and value-adding SMART recommendations, accompanied by agreed management action plans.
• Extract data from systems and use data analytics and data visualization tools to perform quantitative and qualitative data analysis.
Function 3 (incl. Expected results)
Coordinates the follow-up and reporting of the status of implementation of OIO recommendations, maintaining close contact with focal points and attending regular meetings with ICAO managers, achieving results such as:
• Perform periodic follow-up and monitoring of the status of oversight recommendations and timely closure of open OIO recommendations.
• Prepare and submit periodic reports and dashboards on the status of oversight recommendations to the Secretary General, the Council, and other stakeholders.
• In collaboration with OIO colleagues, assess the adequacy of management response to the implementation of recommendations and advise managers on the required actions and/or documentation to close the recommendations.
• Update and maintain an accurate recommendations tracking system.
• Train and provide support to oversight focal points in using the tracking systems effectively and by providing up-to-date data and information as required.
Function 4 (incl. Expected results)
Coordinates matters pertaining to the Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) in scaling-up the benefits derived by ICAO from reports and notes of the JIU, while strengthening the relationship of ICAO with this system-wide oversight body, achieving results such as:
• Analyse terms of reference, questionnaires, and reports, in view of ensuring that the ICAO position on issues subject to review is properly reflected.
• Coordinate the JIU review process, including correspondence with internal stakeholders, collection and consolidation of inputs, and drafting of working papers and reports for the Secretary General and the Council on individual JIU reports, annual activities report, programme of work, and on the status of implementation of the JIU recommendations.
• Identify and pursue opportunities to render the JIU review process more efficient and effective, while safeguarding compliance with reporting requirements and ensuring benefits for ICAO.
• Provide support to organizational units in addressing and implementing recommendations of the JIU.
• Ensure that the JIU web-based recommendations tracking system is updated in a timely manner.
Function 5 (incl. Expected results)
Provides secretariat services to the Evaluation and Audit Advisory Committee (EAAC), achieving results such as:
• Organize periodic meetings of the EAAC and coordinate with the EAAC Chair on the preparation of the meeting agenda.
• Liaise with the Office of the President of the Council, Office of the Secretary General, and other Bureaus/Offices to facilitate discussion and/or consultation with the EAAC.
• Coordinate the preparation and timely submission of the EAAC annual report to the Council.
• Coordinate the preparation of Terms of Reference, State Letters, council working papers, and other correspondence on the nomination, selection, and appointment of the EAAC members.
Function 6 (incl. Expected results)
Supports C/OIO in business planning, budget and programme monitoring and reporting, and related activities, achieving results such as:
• Contribute to the design, monitoring, and measurement of OIO’s key performance indicators.
• Coordinate the preparation of business plans and annual operating plans.
• Coordinate the preparation and implementation of the OIO budget. Monitor allotments and prepare budgets for evaluations, internal audits, and official missions. Provide C/OIO with regular updates on budget utilization.
• Prepare an annual training plan and organize group and individual training to facilitate the continuing professional education needs of OIO staff.
• Contribute to business improvement initiatives, and if necessary, to requests from senior management for information/advice from OIO.
• Ensure that databases, dashboards, intra- and internet pages of the office, are up-to-date, useful, and user-friendly.
Function 7 (incl. Expected results)
Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Professionalism: Good technical knowledge in the field of internal audit, risk management and internal control. Good knowledge of planning and conducting audits in accordance with the IIA Standards. Ability to contribute to harmonious working relationships in a multicultural environment. Demonstrated professional competence and integrity. Ability to perform analysis of business processes and systems using data analytics tools and presenting the results in a strategic manner. Adherence to and capacity to promote the values and framework of the United Nations (UN) Standards of Conduct for the International Civil Service and/or equivalent national or international standards of conduct. Excellent communication and organizational skills. Effective drafting skills to prepare and/or contribute to reports to present findings, conclusions, and recommendations effectively and adequately. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style, and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Technological awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
• A first level university degree in business administration, finance, accounting, or in a related field.
• Professional certification such as Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), Certified Public Accountant, or equivalent qualification from an accredited authority.
Job – Specific Qualification
• A minimum of three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in audit/evaluation, finance, administration, or a related area is required.
• Experience in using MS Office products (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and specialized software such as TeamMate, IDEA, Power BI etc is required.
• Experience in preparing ad-hoc analysis and/or reports for management and Governing Bodies is desirable.
• Experience in working in a multilateral or international environment is desirable.
• Experience in working in the UN system organizations as well as interpreting policies, rules, and regulations is desirable.
• Fluent reading, writing and speaking abilities in English.
• A working knowledge of any other language of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish).