Job Opening ID: 222269
Job Network : Questions économiques et sociales et développement
Job Family : Direction de programmes
Category and Level : Professional and Higher Categories, P-4
Duty Station : MONTREAL
Department/Office : International Civil Aviation Organization
Date Posted : Nov 20, 2023
Deadline : Dec 21, 2023
Org. Setting and Reporting
Under the overall direction of the Office of the Secretary General (OSG), the Strategic Planning, Coordination and Partnerships Office (SPCP) advises and leads on, manages and coordinates the implementation of the ICAO Gender Equality Programme, in close consultation with Bureau of Administration and Services (ADB), the Capacity Development and Implementation Bureau (CDI) and other Bureaus/Offices at HQ as well as Regional Offices. It liaises with UN Women and other UN entities on the United Nations System Wide Action on Gender Equality (UNSWAP) and the United Nation’s Secretary-General Strategy on Gender Parity. SPCP also leads on and coordinates the implementation of the outcomes of the Global Aviation Gender Summit 2023 Call to Action.
SPCP is also accountable for the development of, monitoring and reporting on the ICAO long term strategic planning and Business Plan, in line with the Results Based Management (RBM) approach; the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Framework; the Accountability Framework, all of which form the basis for resource allocation and assist the Secretary General to monitor its accountability and performance with respect to the implementation of initiatives.
In the area of innovation in aviation, the SPCP Office also coordinates and supports knowledge sharing across the organization on this matter and identifies opportunities to advance innovative approaches in aviation. The SPCP has also the responsibility to facilitate the development of, monitoring and reporting on cross-organizational partnerships as well as to leverage such strategic partnerships in air transport systems’ enhancements for Member States.
In line with the ICAO Assembly Resolution A41-26: ICAO Gender Equality Programme promoting the participation of women in the global aviation sector, as well as the Sustainable Development Goal 5, and reporting to the Head, Strategic Planning, Coordination and Partnerships (SPCP), the incumbent will coordinate and manage the implementation of activities in relation to outreach and advocacy opportunities for gender equality in aviation, in close partnership with relevant United Nations bodies, States, international organizations and aviation industry stakeholders, as well as activities in support of the implementation of the Gender Equality Programme and monitoring thereof, as it relates to enhancing gender equality in the aviation sector, and any other tasks s/he might be asked to perform.
Function1 (incl. Expected results)
As a follow-up to the Call to Action of the Global Aviation Gender Summit 2023, conceptualizes and establishes a Global Ambassadors Programme, including development of multifaceted and advocacy and outreach campaigns to promote gender equality, diversity and inclusivity in international civil aviation, achieving results such as:
• Articulate clear concept, scope, objectives, and expected outcomes for establishment of a Global Ambassador Programme in line with Resolution A41-26 and the Call to Action of the Global Aviation Gender Summit 2023.
• Design a detailed plan for establishment of such a Programme including deliverables, milestones, and relevant cost implications to facilitate regular status updates.
• Ensure effective stakeholder engagement as well as cross-organizational and partner consultation in developing the programme.
• Develop, as part of the Global Ambassadors Programme, targeted advocacy campaigns to raise awareness on key issues related to gender equality in aviation, as well as thematic and targeted youth and future generations outreach.
• Engage effectively and co-ordinate across the organizations’ relevant workstreams, dependencies and stakeholders.
Function 2 (incl. Expected results)
Operationalizes, manages and monitors the implementation of the gender equality, diversity and inclusivity Global Ambassadors Programme, achieving results such as:
• Roll out and manage the implementation of the Global Ambassador Programme, including establishment of the network of Ambassadors with clear roles and responsibilities, as well as modalities and terms of engagement of these individuals.
• Prepare and execute training sessions for the Ambassadors.
• Monitor, report and provide progress updates effectively.
• Evaluate and assess overall effectiveness and quality of deliverables.
• Manage risk and mitigation strategies effectively.
• Take the lead in the identification of opportunities to engage the Global Ambassadors, as well as prioritization of projects under the Programme, when needed.
Function 3 (incl. Expected results)
Facilitates greater awareness in the aviation ecosystem around key issues on gender equality, diversity and inclusion as well as collaboration through knowledge-sharing, lessons learnt and exchange of experience, achieving results such as:
• Lead on the development of studies, guidance and tools to assist Member States and industry stakeholders in implementing topics such as gender policies, mainstreaming, cultural transformation etc.
• Facilitate the exchange of best practices, experiences and success stories across the aviation ecosystem, which can in turn be replicated and scaled up by other stakeholders to identify and address existing gaps.
• Develop partnerships with key constituencies such as UN system, international organizations, industry stakeholders as well as civil society organizations to elicit support for and maximize impact of promotional objectives.
• Prepare progress reports for presentation to the Secretariat senior management, the Committee on Governance, the Council, and the Assembly.
• Conduct research and benchmarking on gender and diversity policies and practices within the UN Common System, Member States, and aviation industry partners and stakeholders.
• Develop official documentation, presentations and speeches.
Function 4 (incl. Expected results)
Conducts and coordinates well-chosen outreach and network activities related to gender including the development and preparation of events, material, documentation, reports, and presentations related to outreach and advocacy on gender equality, diversity and inclusivity in aviation, achieving results such as:
• Manage a global network of gender focal points, facilitating information sharing among the members of this global network.
• Take the lead in the development and roll-out of future Global Aviation Gender Summits.
• Conceptualize and organize various workshops, webinars, and other advocacy events at the global and regional levels, including identifying speakers, preparing the programme, scenarios and notes, and organizing sessions and side-events.
• Collaborate in development and roll-out of events in commemoration of International Women’s Day.
• Research the latest data on gender, collaborate with appropriate Bureaus and stakeholders and ensure data informs various events’ agenda-setting and messaging.
• Conduct research as required and provides material to be published on the ICAO gender website.
• Effectively reply to public enquiries on gender equality in aviation.
Function 5 (incl. Expected results)
Manages the implementation of the Assembly Resolution A41-26, including coordination of the implementation of the ICAO Gender Equality Programme, and its Implementation Plan, as well as manages the Gender Equality project as part of the Transformational Objective, achieving results such as:
• Facilitate coordination of the implementation, and follow-up and reporting of the ICAO Gender Equality Programme, in consultation with HR, CDI and other Bureaus/Offices at HQ and Regional Offices.
• Coordinate implementation in close collaboration with appropriate bureaus and stakeholders of the funded activities in the Global Aviation Gender Summit 2023 Call to Action
• Lead on the development of progress reports for presentation to the Council, and the Assembly.
• Develop speaking Notes and briefing papers on gender for senior management.
• Support the coordination of the review of ICAO policy documents and other regulatory and programme documents, and, where required, make recommendations on enhancements to incorporate gender perspectives.
• Maintain Gender Equality Programme intranet site and Bureau/Office Gender Focal Points network.
• Support the focal point in proposing and coordinating training activities and interventions related to gender mainstreaming.
• Provide regular support to the work of the Small Group on Gender and/or other Council bodies.
Function 6 (incl. Expected results)
Facilitates liaison between ICAO and the United Nations System in relation to monitoring, tracking and reporting on ICAO’s progress in implementation of the UN accountability frameworks, achieving results such as:
• Facilitate liaison between ICAO and the UN system, particularly UN Women, to ensure ICAO’s overall progress and contribution towards system-wide enhancement of gender equality and women empowerment.
• Manage the implementation, monitoring and reporting on the UN System-Wide Action Plan (UNSWAP) on gender equality and gender mainstreaming, submit timely progress reports and provide input to queries from UN.
• Coordinate the implementation, monitoring and reporting on the United Nations Secretary General’s Strategy on Gender Parity and submit timely progress reports to UN Women.
• Represent ICAO in relevant meetings and ensure ICAO and aviation perspective is properly communicated in relevant fora.
Function 7 (incl. Expected results)
Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Professionalism: Excellent networker and team-player; excellent writing skills to facilitate development of various documents, including working papers, policies, agreements, project proposals and promotional material; logical thinker with strong analytical skills. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style, and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Judgment and Decision-making: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
• A first-level university degree, in business or public administration, law, economics, development studies, international relations, or in a related field, is required.
Job – Specific Qualification
• A minimum of ten (10) years of experience working for a government authority, international organization and/or private sector on policy development, outreach, advocacy, promotion campaigns to advance partnerships in support of sustainable development, gender equality and diversity is required.
• Demonstrated experience in project management in a multinational context, requiring complex coordination with diverse stakeholders (governments, the UN system, financial institutions, private sector, etc.) is required.
• Experience in partnership development as well as leveraging external partnerships in a national or international setting is required.
• Experience in civil aviation is desirable
• Experience in conducting research on gender analysis and gender mainstreaming is desirable.
• Fluent reading, writing and speaking abilities in English.
• A working knowledge of any other language of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish).