Job Opening ID: 221265
Job Network : Science
Job Family : Medical
Category and Level : Administrateurs et des fonctionnaires de rang supérieur, P-5
Duty Station : NEW YORK
Department/Office : Department of Operational Support
Date Posted : Nov 20, 2023
Deadline : Jan 3, 2024
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Department of Operational Support/Office of Support Operations/Division of Healthcare Management and Occupational Safety and Health. The Senior Medical Officer reports to the Medical Director, Division of Healthcare Management and Occupational Safety and Health. The Senior Medical Officer has a functional reporting relationship to the Director of Finance, in the Office of Programme Planning Finance and Budget, Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance (DMSPC/OPPFB).
Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Senior Medical Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
· Undertakes day-to-day clinical duties, e.g. walk-in clinic, emergencies.
· Undertakes clinical reviews of compensation claimants as necessary or appropriate.
· Refers staff to outside specialists as necessary.
· Follows-up with outside specialists as necessary.
· Oversees and provides compensation education and promotion programs.
· Organizes/Participates in addressing work environment and occupational health issues.
Medico Administrative Duties:
· Advises UN entities on United Nations compensation standards.
· Assists the Administration in drafting and implementation of business continuity and crises preparedness plans for the duty station.
· Advises clients, judicial bodies and the Administration on eligibility to service incurred compensation claims and medical insurance claims.
· Plans, manages and organizes various activities and administrative functions of a particular section within the Division of Healthcare Management and Occupational Safety and Health.
· Reviews and revises policies and medical standards for compensation as applicable.
· Deputizes for Deputy Medical Director/Medical Director as needed.
· Identifies, develops, oversees and implements structural reforms to the compensation management program including medical records system integration and data management.
· Ensures appropriate training programs are implemented in order to maintain and develop the technical capabilities for compensation service delivery
· Performs other related duties as required.
· Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
· Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
· Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
· Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow; empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
· Managing Performance: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
A first-level university degree that qualifies for registration as a licensed medical practitioner (MD, MBBS, MBChB or equivalent) and current unrestricted registration with the medical licensing authority of one of the Members States of the United Nations is required. Postgraduate qualification in a medical specialty is desirable.
Job – Specific Qualification
Current unrestricted registration with the medical licensing authority of one of the Members States of the United Nations is required.
Qualification as a Certified Independent Medical Examiner is required.
A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible clinical experience in one of the areas of medicine is required.
Experience working with an Occupational Health Software record system, such as Cority (EarthMed), is desirable.
Experience in medico-legal aspects of compensation or occupational health is desirable.
Experience in working in an international environment is desirable.
Experience in legal dispute resolution matters is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.