The key mission of the FAO Representation in Somalia, which is led by FAO Representative (FAOR), is to assist and support the national government to develop policies, strategies and programme aimed at accelerating the Implementation and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the area of FAO’s global mandate and Strategic Objectives. More specifically, FAO’s response aims to address national needs and priorities in achieving food security, reducing hunger and malnutrition, developing agricultural, fishery and forestry sectors, and ensuring the sustainable use of environmental and natural resources and respond to recurrent emergencies. The current portfolio of activities of the FAO Representation in Somalia includes a wide scope of technical support interventions ranging from policy support through livestock and crop production, to natural resource management, Nutrition, value chain, food security analysis and water and land information management. FAO is also implementing several emergency, resilience-building and development interventions, with the support of its five field offices and close to 400 staff in partnership with the Federal and State line ministries.
The position is under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Somalia.
The incumbent will be responsible for the successful and timely collation of high-quality briefing and presentation materials for the Representative for appointments, meetings, missions. S/He will promote positive organizational culture through finding quick solutions and turn around to challenges facing the FAOR’s office. The incumbent will also contribute to maintaining a professional and positive organizational image and promoting strong relationships with key stakeholders, including donors, partners, and government agencies.
Tasks and responsibilities
• In coordination with FAO Somalia personnel, the incumbent will draft or coordinate preparation of documents on operational, programme, project, and policy issues for the FAO Representative, including documents relating to FAO Somalia’s programme implementation.
• Review and edit official / external correspondence on behalf of the FAO Representative and support the Communications Officer in delivery of public communications activities; collaborate with the Communications Officer to organize and coordinate meetings, conferences, workshops, and other events involving the FAO Representative, ensuring that all logistical arrangements are made, and any necessary materials are prepared in advance.
• Follow up with units and personnel of FAO Somalia on instructions issued by the FAO Representative, ensuring timely and high-quality delivery.
• Liaise and coordinate with FAO Regional Office in Accra as well as Divisions and Units in HQs on preparation of documents on operational, programme, project, and policy issues.
• Keep abreast of issues relevant to FAO’s activities in Somalia, including the geo-political context, security developments and regional dynamics; advise the FAO Representative on these issues; contribute to discussions on strategic questions and choices facing FAO and play an active role in strategic planning.
• Provide high-level administrative and executive support to the FAO Representative, including calendar management, scheduling meetings, managing the generic FAO Representative and FAO Somalia mailboxes and coordinating logistical arrangements.
• Act as the first point of contact for the FAO Representative, handle incoming enquiries and correspondence including facilitating signature of the FAO Representative and directing them to the appropriate department or staff member as needed.
• Prepare agendas, draft emails, compile briefing materials, and supporting documents for meetings and events involving the FAO Representative, ensuring that all necessary information is accurate and up to date.
• Assist in the preparation of external presentations, reports, and other documents as required by the FAO Representative. Review and edit reports before submission to the FAO Representative.
• Compile, analyze, and summarize relevant information and data, providing insights and recommendations to the FAO Representative as needed.
• Manage and maintain an efficient filing system for the FAO Representative, including electronic and paper-based documents, correspondence, and reports.
• Provide substantive support to the FAO Representative and FAO Somalia senior management in preparing for and attending internal and external meetings; take minutes during meetings and rigorously follow up on action points as needed, ensuring that decisions and tasks are effectively communicated and completed in a timely manner.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, partners, and donors.
• Facilitate communication and coordination between the FAO Representative and other departments, ensuring that information and decisions are shared efficiently and effectively.
• Any other related office duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree in business administration, international relations, management, law, economics, or a related field is required.
• At least 5 years of relevant experience in administrative services, finance, accounting, audit, human resources.
• Working knowledge (level C) of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge (level B) of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Efficient and effective management of the FAO Representative’s schedule, ensuring that appointments, meetings, and travel arrangements are well-coordinated and aligned with organizational priorities.
• Proficient in the timely and accurate preparation of agendas, briefing materials, and supporting documents for meetings and events involving the FAO Representative.
• Experience in maintaining a well-organized and up-to-date filing system for the FAO Representative, ensuring that documents, correspondence, and reports are easily accessible and retrievable.
• Ability to take clear and concise minutes and follow-up on action items from meetings, contributing to the efficient implementation of decisions and tasks.
• Strong interpersonal skills in maintaining working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, fostering a collaborative and supportive environment for the FAO Representative.
• Ability to maintain effective communication and coordination skills between the FAO Representative and other departments, ensuring that information and decisions are shared and acted upon promptly.
• Experience with a UN Agency would be an asset.
• Experience in providing high-level administrative, advisory, and executive support to senior leadership, including official communications, meeting coordination, and travel arrangements.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, with the ability to effectively convey complex information to diverse audiences.
• Strong organizational and multitasking skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• High level of discretion and confidentiality, with the ability to handle sensitive information and situations professionally and ethically.
• Proficient in the use of standard office applications (e.g., Microsoft Office Suite) and other productivity tools.
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
• Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
• Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills and applies them in the work.