Job Opening ID: 224656
Job Network : Economic, Social and Development
Job Family : Programme Management
Category and Level : Professional and Higher Categories, P-3
Duty Station : NEW YORK
Department/Office : United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund – Pension Administration
Date Posted : Dec 26, 2023
Deadline : Jan 1, 2024
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund was established in 1949 by the United Nations General Assembly to provide retirement, death, disability, and related benefits for staff of the United Nations and other member organizations of the Fund. The Pension Fund pays benefits in 17 currencies to more than 80,000 beneficiaries who reside in 190 countries, and services more than 140,000 participants who work in the 25 member organizations of the Pension Fund. The Fund has offices in New York (United States) and Geneva (Switzerland) and two liaison offices in Nairobi (Kenya) and Bangkok (Thailand), respectively.
The United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund-Pension Administration (UNJSPF-PA) comprises about 250 staff from diverse countries and cultures, based across four prominent duty stations (New York, Geneva, Bangkok, and Nairobi). We are a career employer offering unique opportunities for growth within the United Nations system. We offer staff competitive benefits, including a defined benefit pension plan (not subject to variation of capital markets), parental leave, a comprehensive insurance plan, and flexible working arrangements subject to operational requirements. Our office is located in the heart of Manhattan, within walking distance from the Grand Central Station hub, in a state-of-the-art facility (the One Dag Hammarskjöld building). Visit www.unjspf.org for more details.
This temporary position is based in New York. The Programme Officer will report to the Chief of the Business Transformation Unit (BTU) under the overall guidance of the Deputy Chief Executive of the Pension Administration.
Within delegated authority, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Participate in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitor and analyse programme/project development and implementation; review relevant documents and reports; identify problems and issues to be addressed and propose corrective actions; liaise with relevant parties; identify and track follow-up actions, and ensure that key performance indicators and benefits are recorded and tracked
• Perform consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops and training, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change
• Research, analyse, and present information gathered from diverse sources
• Assist in policy development, frameworks and tools including the review and analysis of issues, industry trends and best practices, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies
• Support the continuous improvement and re-engineering of business processes using lean principles according to anticipated client needs and identify appropriate key performance indicators
• Undertake survey initiatives; design data-collection tools; review, analyse and interpret responses, identify problems/issues and prepare conclusions
• Prepare various written outputs, e.g., draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
• Provide substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
• Undertake outreach activities; conduct training workshops, seminars, etc.; make presentations on assigned topics/activities
• Coordinate activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepare related documents/reports (work programme, programme budget, etc.)
• Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
• Perform other duties as required
Work implies frequent interaction with the following: counterparts, senior officers and technical staff in relevant Pension Administration services and units within the business and IT.
• Develops, implements, monitors and evaluates assigned programme/projects
• Provides thorough, well-reasoned written contributions, e.g., background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
• Develops and maintains effective working relationships
• Promulgates coherent policies, and consistent adherence to these by clients
• Uses resources efficiently
Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyse and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the Internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors’ language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning and organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services. Offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs. Promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas. Takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box.” Takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things. Is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, information technology, computer science, or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Job – Specific Qualification
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in business process management, lean methodologies operational excellence, business analysis, change management, project or programme management, or a related area is required.
Experience in the United Nations system or comparable international organizations is desirable.
Experience in the financial services, pension fund, or insurance industry is desirable.
Knowledge and experience in Robotic Process Automation and other automation tools, CRM and Pension Administration systems are desirable.
2 years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.