Job Opening ID: 224593
Job Network : Management and Administration
Job Family : Administration
Category and Level : General Service and Related Categories, G-7
Duty Station : NEW YORK
Department/Office : Department of Global Communications
Date Posted : Dec 26, 2023
Deadline : Jan 1, 2024
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Budget, Finance and General Services Unit of the Executive Office, Department of Global Communications. The Executive Office is responsible for all financial, personnel, information technology service and general administrative matters concerning the Department. The incumbent will report directly to the Administrative Officer.
Within delegated authority, the Senior Finance and Budget Assistant will perform the following functions:
• Undertakes research and provides support to higher level Finance & Budget Officers with respect to budget reviews of relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies.
• Provides input into the preparation of allotments, including redeployment of funds when necessary, ensuring appropriate expenditures.
• Monitors budget implementation/expenditures, including generating reports from Umoja and Business Intelligence platforms, and recommends reallocation of funds as necessary.
• Acts as certifying officer and reviews requisitions for goods and services and official travel requests to ensure completeness of supporting documentation, correct objects of expenditure have been charged, and availability of funds.
• Monitors extra-budgetary resources, including review of agreements, MOUs and cost plans, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures, including the accurate and complete reporting and recording within the Integrated Planning, Management and Reporting (IPMR) platform.
• Keeps up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme and/or peacekeeping budgets, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
• Drafts or prepares correspondence to respond to enquiries in respect to relevant financial and budget matters.
• Provides guidance, training and daily supervision to other general service staff in the area of responsibility.
• Performs other related duties, as assigned.
-Knowledge of, and ability to apply financial rules, regulations and procedures in the UN environment.
-Knowledge, skills and ability to extract, interpret, analyze and format data across the full range of finance and budget functions, including programme development and database management, claims and treasury operations.
-Ability to identify and resolve data discrepancies and operational problems.
-Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
-Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work
• Planning & Organizing:
-Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies
-Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required
-Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work
-Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning
-Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary
-Uses time efficiently
• Client Orientation:
-Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view
-Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
-Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions
-Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems
-Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects
-Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
High school diploma or equivalent.
Job – Specific Qualification
A minimum of ten years of experience in finance, budget, accounting, administrative services or related area is required. The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced to eight (8) for candidates who possess a first-level university degree or higher.
Experience with using an ERP system such as Umoja is required.
Experience in relevant Umoja modules (FM, GM, Travel, Source to Acquire) is required.
Experience in the central management of Extra Budgetary Funds is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.