Bangladesh is rich in natural resources with diverse ecosystems and biodiversity. Like other developing countries, Bangladesh is also facing tremendous pressure on the conservation of forests and natural resources. The forest department has undertaken several initiatives to reduce pressure on the existing forest resources. The country is also obliged to report to international platforms like UNCCD, CBD, IPCC, etc. on the progress it made in the restoration and reduction of the degradation of natural resources. In doing so, the country is trying to develop a National Forest Monitoring System (NFMS). The forest department has already conducted the first national forest inventory during the period 2016-2019. Now it is planning for the 2nd cycle of the inventory. With the support of the Sustainable Forests and Livelihoods (SUFAL) project of the World Bank, the 2nd cycle of forest report assessment has been planned. The forest inventory will generate metadata of the forest resources that will be analyzed and comprehensive reports will be generated which will give a full picture of the country’s forest resources. In addition, the project also envisions developing the national land cover map and preparing forest management plans for forest divisions and protected areas. It will also prepare an updated report on the National Forest Reference Emission Level. All the information generated from the process will help the country better manage the forest resources with a functional monitoring system in place.
The IT Assistant is a SC 4 national position who will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative, the direct supervision of the Environment Climate Change Specialist (Team Leader) and in close collaboration with national and international consultants in the project team, and the technical backstopping of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) at FAO Bangkok.
The IT Assistant will be a part of a national team to provide technical assistance in the areas of day-to-day IT solutions, including server and software management.
Tasks and responsibilities
● Provide direct technical assistance to project staff in all aspects related to the use of computers and IT equipment;
● Liaise with external technical support companies following up on users’ problems;
● Assist in the coordination, set-up, and use of network services (i.e. file/print service, security, e-mail backups);
● Manage, organize, secure, and regularly back up and maintain the entered data;
● Develop, maintain, and update the contents of the project website as necessary;
● Prepare technical specifications and assist in procurement of all equipment including software according to corporate guidelines and procedures;
● Ensure local helpdesk services;
● Identify IT training/ learning needs and organization of end users training;
● Ensure FAO’s security standards are adhered to protect corporate data and systems;
● Provide advice on maintenance of equipment and acquisition of hardware supplies, making routine repairs, and change of hardware electronic components.
● Maintain the Local Area Network (LAN), Internet Service, and website.
● Analyse new technologies and propose the use of new technology and processes to improve system operations.
● Assist in coordination with line ministry and government agencies in IT project implementation and support.
● Identify the equipment needed for making operational the Server of the RIMS unit and support for operationalization.
● Design and prepare a network blueprint for the FAO EFCC office at the Bangladesh Forest Department (BFD) building;
● Provide technical support to BFD to host their information system in BCC server;
● Assist BFD, in implementing the HR and finance module of its recently operationalized information system. Suggest/Assist/coordinate the workforce in divisional/remote offices, where necessary.
● Identify requirements from implementing agencies and assist in coordination with them in IT project implementation and support;
● Take part in System Analysis and design of IT-based system and coordinate with developer/programmer to implement it;
● Assist in any other tasks under the project at the instruction of the FAO Representative, the LTO and Team Leader
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
● Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science/ System Administration/ Database Development and Administration/ System Analysis/ or other related IT field is required
● A minimum of 4 years of relevant experience with online information systems and website design and maintenance.
● Working knowledge of English and Bangla
● National of Bangladesh
FAO Core Competencies
● Results Focus
● Building Effective Relationships
● Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
● Have experience in designing surveys in Openforis, Kobo Toolbox other FAO software
● Excellent knowledge of server configuration
● Excellent knowledge of software development and demonstrated attention to user-friendliness and customer experience ;
● Demonstrated experiences in developing countries.
● Demonstrated initiative and ability to deliver results within deadlines.