The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through the FAO Strategic Framework by supporting the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable agri-food systems, for better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life, leaving no one behind. The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA) and its sister agencies. Within the framework of the UTF Technical Cooperation Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) covering the period 2019-2025 signed on February 13, 2019 between the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia represented by MoEWA, and FAO, the “UTF/SAU/053/SAU: Promoting efficient irrigation and water productivity amongst farmers”, and the UTF projects “UTF/SAU/054/SAU: Enhancing National capacities for Irrigation Management° have been approved by the FAO and Saudi Irrigation Organization (SIO). The Projects, developed jointly by SIO and FAO focuses directly on supporting the implementation of the Saudi Irrigation Organization Corporate Strategy, which was developed within the context of the Saudi Vision 2030 and aims at strengthening the capacity of SIO to improve irrigation efficiency.
An overall plan and budget are developed and approved, including activities and outputs that are expected to be accomplished under its different outputs. Requirements for the international and national technical expertise of specialized professionals, experts and support personal have been identified. Within the framework of the UTF/SAU/054/SAU and UTF/SAU/053/SAU, it is necessary to involve farmers during the identification of demonstration sites, the establishment of key technologies and practices, collect several types of data and information from different sources, as well as field data measurements in order to follow up the performance of the demonstration and assure the farm readiness for extension activities. Assist the preparation of an effective M&E system for the demonstration sites in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
The Field Technician will report to the Technical Advisors under the overall guidance of the FAO KSA Technical Cooperation Programme Director in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
The Field Technicians will provide operational support and follow up of the demonstration farms and assurance the proper operation of the irrigation system in target regions, as well as collect required field measurements in target region in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Assist with establishing close cooperation with demo farmers and the farming community around the demonstration site.
• Follow up and monitor the implementation of demonstrations sites.
• Convey technical message including best agronomic practices, maintenance of irrigation system relating to the demonstration site management.
• Conduct regular sites visits and collect needed data and information such as water usage, soil moisture, and other relevant parameters.
• Conduct training sessions for farmers on proper irrigation practices.
• Support conducting routine maintenance to ensure proper functioning of irrigation systems.
• Ensure the promotion of the technologies and practices demonstrated to the surrounding farming community.
• Support on arrangement for field demonstration sessions, extension activities and events.
• Collaborate with other project team members, agronomists, and engineers to integrate irrigation systems seamlessly into overall project plans.
• Effectively repair or replace faulty components, such as pipes, valves, and controllers.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• National of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia or resident in the country with a valid work permit.
• Minimum of Secondary school certificate.
• At least two years of relevant field experience farm activities.
• Working knowledge (Level C) of the Arabic language and limited knowledge (Level B) of English.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Knowledge and experience in experience in fisheries, food security and irrigation.
• Demonstrate capacity to plan, prioritize, and deliver tasks on time to meet goals in a high-pressure environment.
• Maturity and confidence in dealing with high-ranking officials of government institutions, international institutions, and non-government institutions.
• Understanding of the purpose and functions of technical programs, operational guidelines and program/project management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations or FAO, would be considered an added asset.
• University degree is preferred.