FAO Gambia and partners are implementing the Climate Fishery Initiative for Livelihood Improvement in the Gambia (PROREFISH Gambia) project. The Project aims to address increased resilience and enhanced livelihoods, health, wellbeing, food and water security of the most vulnerable people, communities and regions. The project will scale up adaptation measures that have been proven in several countries in West Africa, and in similar contexts, with a particular focus on climate-proofing fisheries infrastructure and on value chain segments dominated by women (fish handling and processing). The project aims to promote strategies that would reduce post-harvest losses and CO2 emissions as well as protecting the mangrove cover.
The Specialist will be under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in The Gambia, the AFAOR-Programmes and the direct supervision of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) and the National Project Coordinator
The Fisheries Specialist will collaborate with partners for the implementation of all fisheries related activities in the project as well as render support on the Capacity development for the Community Fisheries Centers (CFCs). Specifically, the Specialist will assist in the technical design and specifications of fisheries equipment and infrastructure, identify the training needs of the beneficiary communities.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Prepare detailed annual work plans for fisheries component of project.
• Support on the Capacity development for the Community Fisheries Centers (CFCs).
• Take part in the Annual Performance Reporting (APR)
• Contribute to the preparation of project implementation reports.
• Support selected communities on climate resilient technologies developed and promoted for fish processing/preserving in the identified fish landing.
• Collaborate with project technical experts and partners for the implementation of all fisheries related activities of the project.
• Support in the technical design and technical specifications of fisheries equipment and infrastructure.
• Contribute on project progress reports and briefs on fisheries component.
• Support the introduction of energy efficient technologies for fish handling and processing in 10 mangrove management communities.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
▪ Advanced degree in Fisheries Studies or Fisheries Management
▪ At least 8 years of experience working in the fisheries sector, including experience working with fishing communities.
▪ Working knowledge (level C) of English required and limited knowledge (level B) knowledge of French.
▪ National of Gambia.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Good written and oral communication skills
• Knowledge of one or two local languages
• Proven capability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
• Good command of English language and proven ability to write reports.
• Proven record of community training experience.
• Proven knowledge of the Fisheries supply chain.
• Excellent networking skills