H (no hardship)
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
January 10, 2024
Standard Job Description
Senior Finance Associate
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Finance Associate is normally supervised by the (Senior) Finance Officer who defines general work objectives and provides necessary advice and guidance. The incumbent also refers to UNHCR Manuals and relevant policy papers on financial issues. The incumbent works quite independently on regular assignments with an oversight from the supervisor.
The incumbent assists with the processing of financial transactions. S/he keeps frequent contact with staff at various levels in the office and with bank officials to exchange information. The incumbent normally supervises some support staff.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Oversees the processing of financial transactions and reconciliations in line with relevant policies and procedures.
– Provide financial reports as per financial guidelines and when required.
– Maintain ledgers and accounting records for classification and recording of financial transactions and for the reconciliation of accounts and preparation of recurring or special reports.
– Ensure timely and accurate calculation and payment of salaries, allowances, travel claims and other payments to staff members, experts and consultants, vendors and other claimants.
– Contribute to the preparation and processing of monthly accounts.
– Prepare financial data for budget estimates and financial planning.
– Ensure reconciliation of cash books with bank statements.
– Maintain liaison with officials of local banks and financial institutions to obtain day-to-day information on exchange and interest rates, changes in procedures and regulations, and matters pertaining to maintenance of office bank accounts.
– Assist colleagues in all aspects of accounts maintenance and budget control by providing reports on financial status, procedures, exchange rates, costs and expenditures and potential funding problems.
– Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
– Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G7 – 4 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Finance; Business Administration; Accounting;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Knowledge and work experience of MSRP Finance applications. Good knowledge of UN/UNHCR Financial rules and procedures. Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to the functions of the position.
*IT-Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
– Strong knowledge of UN/UNHCR financial rules and regulations as well as of public accounting standards such as IPSAS.
– Experience in using ERP systems
– Advanced knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint, as well as very good statistical and data analysis skills.
– Excellent numerical and analytical skills
– Hands-on experience in providing financial analysis to vehicle management
– Experience in preparing reviewing and analyzing financial statements and drafting reports.
– Experience and ability to handle and analyze large volume of financial data.
Candidates must be legally present in Hungary at the time of application, recruitment and hire.
In case of appointment, a competitive compensation and benefits package is offered.
Annual leave: UNHCR staff members holding a fixed-term appointment will accrue annual leave at the rate of 2.5 working days for each full calendar months of service (i.e. 30 working days per year).
Pension system: Staff members holding a fixed-term appointment will become participants in the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund (UNJSPF).
Health insurance plan: locally recruited staff members in Budapest will be enrolled in the Medical Insurance Plan (MIP). The coverage is also optionally available for eligible family members.
Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a test. No late applications will be accepted. UNHCR is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
To view occupational safety and health considerations for this duty station, please visit this link:
The Global Fleet Management UNHCR Field Offices and operations provide, safe, professional, and cost-effective fleet management services and solutions to support optimum program delivery. We are committed to provide practical guidance to field operations on the operation and management of UNHCR vehicles, support humanitarian civil servants working with UNHCR vehicles and fleet operations, while delivering the Organization’s mandate of providing protection to forcibly displaced and stateless people.
Global Fleet management Section adapts proactive management approach of UNHCR’s vehicle assets, which may include light vehicles, heavy vehicles, specialist vehicles and motorcycles. Fleet management covers a range of functions, including vehicle procurement and financing, vehicle maintenance, vehicles telematics (tracking and diagnostics), driver and personnel management, speed management, fuel management, and health and safety management.
The section provides centralized fleet management model to UNHCR, empowering the Organization move beyond simply operating vehicles on a country-by-country and project-by-project basis to actively planning for optimizing vehicle fleet capacity and efficiency on a global scale.
The position will be part of the Finance and Insurance Team Section of the Global Mobility and Infrastructure Service within the Division of Financial and Administrative Management and will report directly to the Associate Finance Officer.
The incumbent will be responsible for revising and approving the financial transactions for Global Fleet Management rental and insurance programme while supporting finance associates for processing and managing these transactions. S/he will support the establishment and development of new processes (invoicing, annual charges, reimbursements) related to fleet management activities of the new ERP system.
S/he will prepare monthly revenue and expenditure reports and ad-hoc reports on demand. S/he will work closely with field operations and HQs Divisions, with the other units of Accounts and Financial Service under DFAM and on demand will perform financial planning, budgeting, reporting and analysis of resources related to the Global Fleet Management programme.
The position is based in HQs in Budapest which is the capital of Hungary where adequate infrastructure, health, education, banking and recreational facilities are easily accessible. Budapest is H category Duty Station. There are no specific security concerns not withstanding incidental events. Personal security is generally not an issue. However, staff members should be cautious and take responsibility for their own personal and residential security.
BU-Budgeting, FI-Financial Accounting – Modified cash-based accounting as per international standards, SC-HCR Global Fleet Management Vehicle Insurance scheme
Finance – Other
Annual Budget OL in Operation/Office, Number of Persons of Concern Served, Number of Workforce in Operation/Work Setting, Workforce to Supervise
Accountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Managing performance, Managing resource, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Teamwork & collaboration, Technological awareness
UNHCR Salary Calculator
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance