Job Opening ID: 224673
Job Network : Management and Administration
Job Family : Administration
Category and Level : Professional and Higher Categories, P-3
Duty Station : BOUAR
Department/Office : United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic
Date Posted : Dec 27, 2023
Deadline : Jan 2, 2024
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Office of Chief of Operations and Resource Management (CORM) in the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA). The incumbent will be based in Bouar, and report to the Head of Regional Office (Equateur Region) as First reporting Officer and Chief of Operations and Resource Management as Second Reporting Officer.
Within delegated authority, the Administrative Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
Human Resource Management
• Effectively coordinates actions relative to the administration of human resources activities, e.g., recruitment, placement, promotion, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
• Defines conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
Budget and Finance
• Takes the lead with respect to the preparation and implementation of the work programme, ensuring that financial resources are utilized to implement activities in accordance with the Programme Budget and allotments issued.
• Monitors and reviews the work programme and budget by conducting regular and special reviews to assess progress of actual work versus the programme plan. Coordinates the production of programme reports.
• Defines requirements and work with systems units with respect to improving budget reporting systems and cost-effective utilization of program resources.
• Develops procedures and implement same to ensure that accounting and financial management controls are consistent with UN policy and practice.
• Supervises and/or provides guidance on financial administration and management information issues and practices to colleagues.
• Provides guidance and leadership to more junior staff.
• Oversees work related to procurement, billing, and receipt of income from various services, operational travel programme, procurement monitoring and evaluation of vendor contracts/payment to vendors and individual contractors for services.
• Reviews adequacy of departmental space requirements.
• Oversees the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software, and systems, coordinating enhancements as necessary.
• Oversees the overall performance of the mission support component based on defined key performance indicators representing service delivery and supply chain metrics.
• Develops and applies performance management tools and standardized reports for senior Mission leadership and management meetings.
•Oversees the environmental compliance at their respective locations and monitor implementation of remedial actions in consultation with the Chief of Environment Unit at Mission headquarters in Bangui.
•Advises the Head of Regional Office (HoRO) on all support matters and monitors the implementation of MSD annual work plans and projects.
• Performs other related work as required.
Professionalism: Knowledge of administrative, budgetary, financial, and human resources policies and procedures. Knowledge of logistics operations and project management. Ability to apply various United Nations administrative rules and regulations in work situations. Conceptual analytical and evaluate skills to conduct independent research and analysis. Ability to apply analytical and evaluative skills in operations and resource management. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning and organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments. Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards. Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules. Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments. Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, human resources management, finance, accounting, or related field is required. A first-level university degree with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
Job – Specific Qualification
At least five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in human resources, budget, finance or general administration is required.
Experience in handling administrative and logistical matters in Peacekeeping operations and coordination with Military, Police, and civilian components is required.
Experience in providing administrative and operations management support in an international organization or the United Nations system is required.
Experience in leading a team in a complex operational and political environment is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French is desirable.