Job Opening ID: 224227
Job Network : Political, Peace and Humanitarian
Job Family : Humanitarian Affairs
Duty Station : HQ Amman
Department/Office : United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA)
Date Posted : Dec 27, 2023
Deadline : Jan 10, 2024
Org. Setting and Reporting
UNRWA, the largest United Nations operation in the Middle East with over 30,000 staff working across five areas of operation, is looking for highly committed personnel wishing to make a change.
If you are looking for a rewarding opportunity to make a tangible difference for one of the most vulnerable communities in the world, UNRWA would like to hear from you.
Gender Advisor reports to Head of Gender Section.
– Contributes to the development, planning, implementation and monitoring of proposals and projects related to gender.
– Drafts and designs gender-focused projects, initiatives and activities across UNRWA, including data collection and reporting for UN System-Wide Action Plan (SWAP), supporting the Women’s Advisory Forum, and developing the new Gender Equality Strategy and the Gender Action Plan.
– Provides guidance and analysis to ensure the effective implementation of Women, Peace and Security mandates and political commitments across departmental priorities, strategies and policies, both at headquarters and in the field.
– Provides technical guidance and support to colleagues throughout UNRWA on integrating gender considerations into programming, as well as on adopting gender-responsive approaches to addressing gender-based violence (GBV).
– Builds capacity and support UNRWA senior management to meet accountability goals on gender equality, within organizational policies.
– Ensures the timely, effective and quality implementation of gender focused projects activities in close coordination with relevant UNRWA programmes (e.g., RSS, Health, Education) and field offices.
– Designs and facilitates community engagement and consultation efforts on gender issues at the field level, including identifying effective strategies to engage adult and youth males.
– Contributes to the establishment and coordination of UNRWA’s existing mechanisms for protection and gender; also assists relevant UNRWA programmes to strengthen engagement with inter-agency coordination mechanisms.
– Supports the planning and implementation of awareness-raising activities and communications to sensitize UNRWA staff on gender topics, including gender-based violence (GBV).
– Collaborates in the development of the project monitoring and evaluation (M&E) strategy and ensures its implementation through the monitoring of program activities and timely reporting on progress.
– Performs other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
UN Core Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity, and Core Competencies of Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results apply by default.
– Planning and Organizing
– Learning and Researching
– Relating and Networking
– Creating and Maintaining Impact and Partnership
– Delivering Results
For guidance on how to prepare for competency-based interviews: https://careers.un.org/lbw/home.aspx?viewtype=AYI
– Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) from an accredited educational institution in social sciences, gender studies, human rights or a related field.
Job – Specific Qualification
– At least eight years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience in Gender and/or human rights. Are required.
– Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) from an accredited educational institution in social sciences, gender studies , human rights or a related field. Is required.
– Experience in designing and delivering gender capacity-building activities. Is desirable.
– Experience in coordinating and engaging with multiple entities, navigating resistance, and synthesizing contributions into consolidated reports. Is desirable.
– Experience in refugee settings and preferably with international organizations or relevant non-governmental organizations. Is desirable.
– Are you currently residing in Duty station. Please specify your current location. It is required.
– Excellent command of written and spoken Arabic and English.