Job Opening ID: 222221
Job Network : Economic, Social and Development
Job Family : Programme Management
Category and Level : Professional and Higher Categories, P-5
Duty Station : HAMBURG
Department/Office : United Nations Human Settlements Programme
Date Posted : Dec 27, 2023
Deadline : Jan 25, 2024
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
UNITAC-Hamburg is part of the Knowledge and Innovation Branch of the External Relations, Strategy, Knowledge and Innovation Division (ERSKI) of UN-Habitat headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. ERSKI is responsible for strategic planning, programmatic direction and operationalization of UN-Habitat’s focal point role for the New Urban Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goal in the UN system and for coordination of Emergency Programmes.
The Knowledge and Innovation Branch is responsible for leading the development of UN-Habitat’s flagship reports, the gathering and reporting on urban data and the production of cutting-edge knowledge and innovation on cities.
UNITAC-Hamburg works with a variety of innovation, prototyping and applied research methodologies to develop innovative solutions that accelerate the achievement of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) related to cities and urbanization. These innovative solutions will be tested and scaled through UN-Habitat’s global network of country offices, local governments and other partners, including the private sector and the academia.
UNITAC-Hamburg is jointly implemented with the HafenCity University (HCU) of Hamburg and the United Nations Office of Information and Communications Technology (UN-OICT).
The position is located in the United Nations Innovation Technology Accelerator for Cities, based in Hamburg (UNITAC-Hamburg). Under the direct supervision of the Head of the Knowledge and Innovation Branch, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
• Manages the implementation of UNITAC operations, including the financial and administrative aspects and donor reporting.
• Leads the development, implementation and evaluation of UNITAC operations, including providing technical and coordination support to enhance quality and synergy.
• Supports the governance of UNITAC – Hamburg through the Programme Management Committee and its Thematic Advisory Groups.
• Manages the coordination of the project with UN-Habitat headquarters, and ensures coherence in knowledge, experience and dissemination on digital technologies, urban knowledge, data and innovation, and sustainable urban development.
• Coordinates the collaboration with the three implementing partners, UN Habitat, OICT and HCU, including a close collaboration with the UNITAC scientific lead as the main liaison to HCU as well as to the local ecosystem and testbed in Hamburg.
• Fosters strategic partnerships and resource mobilization for the growth and scaling of UNITAC operations.
• Takes the lead to develop, implement and evaluate assigned programmes/projects, etc.; directs subordinates in programme/project development, implementation, monitoring and assessment; directs review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and initiates follow-up actions.
• Ensures implementation of gender mainstreaming by assessing the implications for men and women of any planned action, including legislation, policies or programmes, in all areas and at all levels.
• Directs research and programme evaluation and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
• Coordinates policy development; reviews the assessments of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or research activities and studies.
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications.
• Directs substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations.
• Manages outreach activities; designs and conducts training workshops, seminars, etc., makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries.
• Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and
submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and ensures preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget).
• Establishes collaboration and partnerships with key officials at all levels inside and outside the organization.
• Supervises UN-Habitat staff at UNITAC ensuring effective guidance, supervision, mentoring and development of staff.
• Leads team members efforts to collect and analyze data and provides insight to identify trends or patterns for data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting. Ensures that everyone can discover, access, integrate and share the data they need.
• Perform other duties as required.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and experience in urban innovation, digital technology or smart cities. Ability to identify key strategic issues, opportunities and risks. Ability to generate and communicate broad and compelling organizational direction. Ability to communicate clearly links between the Organization’s strategy and the UNITAC’s goals. Demonstrated ability to provide innovative technical leadership by performing and/or overseeing the planning, development, and management of operation. Demonstrated ability to negotiate and apply good judgment. The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
TECHNOLOGICALL AWARENESS: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
LEADERSHIP: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
JUDGEMENT/DECISION-MAKING: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
Job – Specific Qualification
A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
Experience working in urban innovation, digital technology or smart cities is required.
A minimum of ten (10) years of experience in implementing sustainable, inclusive and resilient urbanization in the context of application of digital technologies is desirable.
Experience in data analytics or related area is desirable
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
NOTE: ‘Fluency’ equals a rating of ‘fluent’ in all four areas (speak, read, write and understand) and ‘Knowledge of’ equals a rating of ‘confident’ in two of the four areas.