Job Opening ID: 224570
Job Network : Management and Administration
Job Family : Finance
Category and Level : Professional and Higher Categories, P-2
Duty Station : GENEVA
Department/Office : United Nations Office at Geneva
Date Posted : Dec 27, 2023
Deadline : Jan 12, 2024
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Finance Section, Financial Resources Management Service, Division of Administration, UNOG.The Associate Accountant reports to the Chief of Unit.
Within delegated authority, the Associate Accountant will be responsible for the following duties:
• Reviews, approves, reconciles and processes a range of accounting transactions on a regular and recurring basis.
• Approves/confirms that proposed obligations or expenditures for services, facilities supplies and equipment expenses, as well as those pertaining to personnel, are in accordance with the Financial Regulations and Rules of the UN, relevant appropriations and staffing tables and corresponding approved allotments.
• Reconciles and analyses assets and inventories accounts during the year and prepares adjusting entries as required before preparation of financial statements.
• Reviews and evaluates accounts and financial reports with a view to identifying anomalies and unusual trends. Initiates corrective action.
• Reviews and ensures complete and accurate asset accounting and reporting, including capitalization, amortization/depreciation, physical verification, master data maintenance, impairment and write-off, including for capital projects requiring asset-under-construction accounting.
• Coordinates with UNOG and client entities/offices to ensure appropriate accounting and financial reporting.
• Assists in the preparation of United Nations financial statements.
• Assists in ensuring that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained.
• Researches and analyses information needed to respond to audit findings.
• Supervises staff as required.
• Performs other related duties as required.
• PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of accounting principles, procedures and standards. Ability to apply conceptual, analytical and evaluative skills in accounting operations. Ability to conduct independent research and analysis, identify issues, formulate options and make conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
An advanced university degree (Master’s or Doctorate degree, or equivalent) in business administration, finance, accounting or related field is required. A first-level or advanced degree (Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctorate degree, or equivalent) in any fields of studies with two additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree in the specified fields of studies.
Job – Specific Qualification
Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA) or equivalent is desirable.
A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in accounting, finance, budget, administration or related area is required.
Experience with financial audits is desirable.
Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, such as SAP, is desirable.
Experience in preparing or reviewing Financial Statements prepared in accordance with IPSAS or other international recognized accounting standards (i.e. IFRS) is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required; knowledge of French is desirable.