Emergency MHPSS Specialist – Gaza
Country: Palestinian Territories
Location: Gaza strip
Starting date: 01/02/2024
Duration of the mission: 3 mois
Closing date for applications: 04/01/2024
Posting reference: Emergency MHPSS Specialist – Gaza ESO
In 2023 HI has been implementing a mix of humanitarian and development projects in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, including a long-term rehabilitation project in Gaza. HI is also the coordinator of the Rehabilitation Platforms in Gaza and in the West Bank (two coordination bodies among all rehabilitation actors in each area).
The new conflict between Hamas and Israel in October 2023 has created a major humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip. Around 50,000 Palestinians have been injured and several thousand among them have suffered from amputations or permanent impairments.
HI has launched some light rehabilitation activities in IDP shelters through trained volunteers and has provided around 1,000 people with assistive devices. HI is planning to scale up substantially its response in the coming months, hiring more local physiotherapist and providing emergency rehabilitation also in hospitals and in homes.
Current sectors of activity: physical rehabilitation, humanitarian mine action, humanitarian logistics, education in emergencies, emergency preparedness, disability mainstreaming/inclusion in humanitarian action, advocacy. The total number of staff is around 40 + around 70 volunteers.
HI is preparing to deploy MHPSS specialists in the Gaza strip for recruitment, training, and technical support to national psychologists and PSS workers, both for MHPSS standalone activities and for quality integration of PSS in rehabilitation and education in emergencies activities.
As part of the HI team, you will contribute to the implementation of HI mandate and project by providing technical expertise and by ensuring that the quality and impact of the projects concerned are optimized.
• Contributes to the regional strategies in line with the global strategies ;
• Ensures technical support to projects in line with the global technical frameworks and standards in his/her sectorial scope ;
• Ensures technical learning from projects ;
• Ensures the control & monitoring of the technical quality and the relevance of HI’s activities in the Programmes under his/her scope ;
• Ensures compliance of the technical proposition with nexus stakes Contributes to the development of research and innovation projects in the region when relevant, in his/her sectorial scope ;
• Contributes to the Technical Divisions professional channel animation.
Contribute to the local external prestige and influence of HI’s expertise in MHPSS scope.
Business development :
Ensure the development of major opportunities or new projects in the region under his sectorial scope.
Emergency preparedness and response responsibilities
Contribute to the support or implementation of emergency preparedness actions of the programme(s) and, during an emergency, adapts his/her working modality to contribute to an effective HI humanitarian response.
• You have a degree in psychology, social work, counseling, clinical psychology, or a related field
• Training in evidence-based therapeutic approaches for trauma, stress, and mental health issues in emergency contexts.
• At least 6 years of overall professional experience in the field of MHPSS
• At least 2 years of experience in emergency responses in conflict-affected countries
• Experience in conducting assessments on MHPSS needs and available services
• Comprehensive knowledge of the IASC Mental Health and Psychosocial Support in Emergency Settings guidelines and associated products
• Excellent networking capacities for building constructive relationships government bodies and humanitarian actors
• You are comfortable in producing written and oral institutional communication in English
• You have a first experience in Middle Eastern countries
Languages skills: fluent in English and Arabic
Interpersonal skills :
• Ability to manage stress
• Capacity to build and promote partnerships across sectors and with government counterparts
• Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
Your deployment will only be possible after a ceasefire or a substantial reduction of armed violence, at least in the southern governorate of Rafah, which will be your likely initial destination with short-term stays in Egypt. HI has identified a guesthouse for accommodation of visiting expats and is setting up the appropriate security systems.
Evacuation site in the event of a medical emergency: Cairo, Dubai, Europe. Evacuations from Gaza might be complex and take days.
Egypt: the security is stable in Cairo and in most areas along the Nile and on the Red Sea and Mediterranean costs. There are several opportunities for tourism and social and cultural life in Cairo and other touristic sites.
At HI, the conditions offered are up to your commitment and adapted to the context of your mission. https://hi.org/en/join-the-team
• International contract from 3 weeks to 3 months (according to the needs and your availability)
• The international contract provides social cover adapted to your situation:
• Unemployment insurance benefits for EU nationals
• Pension scheme
• Medical coverage with 50% of employee contribution
• Repatriation insurance paid by HI
• Salary from 2 757 € gross/month upon experience
• Per Diem: 703,25 € net/month
• Hardship: 500 € net/month
• Paid leaves: 25 days per year
• Rest & Recuperation: Level 3 Very difficult conditions (5 days every 6 weeks)
• Position: unaccompanied
• Housing: Collective taken in charge by HI