POSITION TITLE: District Coordinator
LOCATION: Sylhet / Sunamgonj / Gaibandha / Kurigram / Bhola
GROUP: Human Rights, Education, and Empowerment
REPORTS TO: Manager, Field Coordinator
STATUS: Full-Time (yearly renewable)
TENTATIVE START DATE: January 2024
Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.
Winrock International is inviting applications for the position of District Coordinator for the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded Esho Shikhi (Come and Learn) Activity in Bangladesh. Esho Shikhi is a five-year project (2021–2026). The overall objective of Esho Shikhi is to improve the Bangla reading skills of Grade 1 and Grade 2 students and develop them as independent readers. Esho Shikhi works to increase learning opportunities, improve quality education, and build the capacity of communities to support education and respond to disasters.
The District Coordinator’s primary responsibility is to implement the program through an integrated approach that builds synergies across four (four) program elements with the objectives of achieving the following results through interrelated components: Increasing learning opportunities; improving the quality of education; building the capacity of district officials and communities to support education; and building communities’ capacity to respond to disasters. The main responsibility of the district coordinator is to play a leading role in the coordination of programmatic activities. The District Coordinator will receive implementation and coordination guidance from the Manager-Field Coordination and DCOP. He or she will actively collaborate with district-level GoB officials, partners, and relevant private sector stakeholders to support the implementation of programmatic activities and the achievement of the program objectives. In collaboration with the Field Coordination Manager and members of the technical program team, he or she will develop a detailed implementation plan for each month, update its quarterly, and ensure its efficient implementation. Coordinate the implementation of predefined programmatic activities that span all program IRs.
- Provide necessary support to the Upazila Coordinators for planning the coordination of activity implementation and monitoring of Esho Shikhi activities in the district, upazila, and school level.
- Oversee and monitor field-level implementation, identify gaps and challenges, and share with the Esho Shikhi management team.
- Ensure proper storage and distribution of materials such as training materials, classroom instructional materials, SRMs, day-observance materials, etc.
- Provide support to the Esho Shikhi program team in the completion of administrative tasks such as the collation of supporting financial documentation, participant attendance sheets, the collection of M&E forms, and the entry of relevant data into the Esho Shikhi MIS system. Ensure the collection of accurate data in a timely manner.
- Monitor regular planning, accountability, and follow-up of planned activities, key performance indicators, and overall quality education access and assurance matters.
- Review the accuracy of the Payment Calculation Sheet (PCS), especially by checking the bKash numbers and the amount to be paid to the payees.
- Necessary and effective liaison and coordination with field-level DPE officials, NGOs, and relevant stakeholders.
- Prepare reports and assist in identifying success stories, best practices, and documents for the project.
- Review of progress/DIPs, budget utilization, and provide required information required by the central-level Esho Shikhi team.
- Work closely with district and Upazila-level education officials and ensure approval and endorsement of all activity plans when and where necessary.
- Check all Upazila-level expenditures and expenses (training, workshops, etc.) and ensure the supply of required documents to the central-level Esho Shikhi team.
- Representing Esho Shikhi at district-level monthly meetings with head teachers, UEO, AUEO, and DC.
- Share the updated project information with the project management and receive the necessary feedback and suggestions to implement the project effectively.
- Initiate contact, dialogue, and rapport-building with primary and secondary stakeholders in the program operation area, such as the district, Upazilla, civil society, and media (electronic and press).
- Maintain program- and account-related reports, records, case studies, inventory records, and data information in the documentation process.
- Any other tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Representation, Communication & Reporting:
- Prepare weekly reports, monthly reports, and other program reports for the Esho Shikhi management team as needed.
- Participate in and contribute to meetings, workshops, seminars relevant to the Esho Shikhi Activity as required and directed by the Esho Shikhi Chief of Party or Deputy Chief of Party.
- Maintain liaison with GoB/NGO officials, local elite, and other key formal and informal sectors and leaders in the area.
- Disseminate new information, lessons learned, the government’s new policies and programs, etc. to the appropriate forums when needed.
- Maintain regular liaison as well as help program personnel establish working relationships among the GoB, local administration, and private sector at the Upazila level.
- You will be responsible for maintaining a work journal, where you will document your learnings, mistakes, challenges, experiences, accumulated knowledge, etc., either in English or Bengali, and share them with your line manager or ESA management when required.
- You will be responsible for coordinating with all teams and departments of your project or program to document and share’ all knowledge that can be relevant and beneficial for the organization.
- S/he should abide by the Inter-Agency Standing Committee’s (IASC) six core principles on the Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) policy. Ensure the safety of team members (with respect to prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse, or PSEA) from any harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation to achieve the program’s goals of safeguarding implementation. Act as a key source of support, guidance, and expertise on safeguarding for establishing a safe working environment.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master’s degree in education/social work/communications/social science or equivalent
- Work Experience:
- A minimum of five years of experience is required to implement an education project within the government system. Experience with international NGO’s will be preferable.
- Previous success in working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people and organizations.
- Ability to work with multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Should have experience in community mobilization and education in emergencies.
- Knowledge and Skills:
- Sound knowledge of early grade reading, teacher training, student assessment, mentoring, community engagement, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Strong communication skills with the GoB-level spokesperson or officer
- Work well independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability and desire to travel frequently to visit school sites.
- Valid license to drive a motorbike in the field.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits are offered.
Interested applicants are requested to apply on or before January 06, 2024. However, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and Winrock reserves the right to make an offer prior to the closing date for applications. Applicants are thus encouraged to submit their applications at the earliest opportunity. Applicants should go to https://www.winrock.org/join-us/careers/job-openings/ and submit a current curriculum vitae and cover letter referencing Bangladesh Esho Shiki “Come and Learn” Activity: District Coordinator Position.