UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The work of UN Women in Moldova is guided by its new Country Strategic Note 2023-2027, aligned with the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework for Moldova 2023-2027 (UNSDCF), UN Women Global Strategic Plan, National Programs and Strategies and aims to contribute to the gender-responsive implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The Strategic Note focuses on four main areas: 1) Ending Violence against Women; 2) Women’s Leadership and Governance; 3) Women’s Economic empowerment and 4) Humanitarian and Peace development nexus and UN Coordination on gender equality.
As of November 2023, UN Women launch the implementation of an EU-funded Project “Ending Violence, Expanding Livelihood Opportunities for Women and Accelerating Gender Governance in Moldova with the short title: “EVOLVE4GE”.
The proposed project interventions will support the Government to address the persistent challenges and gaps identified in areas of critical importance for advancing gender equality by using gender mainstreaming and gender responsive budgeting as key approaches to development of gender responsive policies and budgets. At the same time, it will integrate tailored actions for women to increase their entrepreneurship skills and economic competitiveness, but also support national stakeholders to improve and implement the regulatory and policy frameworks on economic empowerment of women. Additionally, the project interventions will aim to improve prevention of gender-based violence, work on behavioral change towards strengthening the culture of reporting and supporting women and girls in exercising their rights and reaching out to recourse mechanisms, it will expand and strengthen specialist services. Finally, it will enhance the overall planning, coordination and oversight of the progress on implementation of the EVAW programme, through the technical support in the establishment of the National Agency for Prevention and Combating Violence against Women and Domestic Violence, approved with Government decision accompanied by allocation of resources in the 2023 budget.
The project will contribute to the implementation of the Country Level Implementation Plan (CLIP) of Moldova of the Gender Action Plan III and is fully aligned with the priority 5 of the Multiannual Indicative Programme (MIP) 2021-2027: a resilient, gender equal, fair and inclusive society. As well it will contribute directly to the implementation of the national priorities set in the National Development Strategy “Moldova -2030”, the Government Programme on Gender Equality (2023 – 2027), the RoadMap for Economic Empowerment of Women, the National Programme on Ending Violence against Women (2023-2027), as well as to the gender responsive provisions of the National Strategy for Public Finance Management (2023-2030) and related programmes and the National Strategy Public Administration (2023-2030). It will also support the Government to advance implementation of the gender equality commitments aligned with the EU candidacy status granted to the Republic of Moldova in June 2022.
Under the overall guidance of the Country Office Programme Finance Analyst and the daily supervision of the Project Manager, the Finance Associate is responsible for the execution of a wide range of financial services and administrative processes ensuring timeliness, efficiency and transparent use of financial resources and delivery of services in accordance with organizational financial rules, regulations, policies, procedures and approved allocations. The Finance Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UN Women rules and regulations, standard practices and guidelines.
The Finance Associate works in close collaboration with the Operations Team in the Country Office for solving complex finance-related issues and information delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Implement financial strategies, and adapt processes and procedures in full compliance of UN Women rules, regulations, policies, and recording and reporting systems;
- Perform duties in full compliance with UN Women financial regulations and rules, policies and standard operating procedures, including internal controls;
- Keep abreast of and ensure full compliance with amendments to International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS);
- Review and verify financial transactions, activities, and documentation; taking corrective actions as needed and reporting any unusual activities;
- Monitor financial exceptions reports for unusual activities or transaction, investigate anomalies and report to the supervisor conclusions and/or present recommendations for actions/decisions;
- Collect, verify and present information and data for use in the planning of financial resources and the formulation of the Country Office (CO) project work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements and execution modalities;
- Provide assistance in Annual Work Plan entry in Results Management System (RMS) as required;
- Provide advice and recommend solutions to a wide range of financial issues;
- Monitor the proper functioning of the financial resources management system for office and programmatic budgets and resources;
- Implement and monitor cost saving and reduction strategies;
- Review with Budget owners and Project Managers, in line with Month-end Closure Checklist, the Project Delivery Status Reports and investigate any overspend;
- Respond to instructions from the Deputy Director of Financial Management or Finance Section in relation to financial transactions. Undertake timely corrective actions as requested by Finance Section to resolve financial data issues or provide information;
- Participate as a member of the Country Office team in the internal and external audits;
- Follow-up on audit recommendations to monitor implementation of corrective actions;
- Actively promote a client-oriented finance service to Country Office.
Prepare and administer the project budgets in full compliance of UN Women rules, regulations, policies, and recording and reporting systems:
- Formulate the budget, control allotments, monitor expenditures, and prepare revisions according to the needs of the Regional Office;
- Track the appropriate and timely use of financial resources;
- Prepare cost recovery documents or bills for the services provided by UN Women to other programmes or organizations;
- Create projects in Quantum, prepare budget revisions, revise project awards and status; and determine unutilized funds;
- Ensure the maintenance of the control mechanism for development projects through monitoring budgets preparation and modifications and budgetary status;
- Maintain internal expenditure control system;
- Undertake corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions and unapproved vouchers. Frequently review and investigate payment vouchers which are in error; and respond to Regional Office requests to resolve financial data issues;
- Prepare VAT reimbursements with adequate documentation support, as necessary;
- Input data in Quantum and monitor status. Keep stakeholders and clients informed for timely action and/or decisions;
- Assist Project Manager with budget re-phrasal as required.
Provide finance support to the Programme and Operations teams:
- Review Accounts Receivables for project and follow-up with project manager and finance section at regional office and/or headquarters on contributions, deposits creation in Quantum and their application to Accounts Receivable pending items;
- Prepare Purchase Orders and non-Purchase Orders vouchers for development project;
- Prepare Zero Dollar Invoice (ZDI) from proper supporting documents authorized by the budget owners and project manager;
- Review transactions in Quantum, ensure payroll, travel claims, and other entitlements are processed;
- Monitor the setup of budgets in Quantum to ensure they are in accordance with budgets agreed with EU Delegation and are input into Quantum at the detailed Activity ID level;
- Monitor each month over-expenditure of budgets and follow up with Budget Owner;
- Monitor regularly transactions posted to projects ensuring actual expenditure has been recorded against correct budget category and activity, take timely corrective actions as required;
- Maintain proper follow up of advances to implementing partners, review their financial reports together with project managers;
- Monitor the financial status and under the guidance of the Country Officer Programme Finance Analyst implement control mechanisms for management/development projects;
- Monitor and proper follow up of all the financial items in Month-end and Year-end closure instructions status and under the guidance of the Operations Manager, take correction actions as required;
- Keep stakeholders and clients informed for timely actions/decisions and review status reports for quality control;
- Provide information inputs to financial reports for Regional Office, HQ Finance and stakeholders;
- Finalize mandated financial reports to EU Delegation and other clients and stakeholders;
- Associate revenue and expenditure in commitment control for non-core projects;
- Provide inputs and take necessary actions to facilitate timely financial project closure;
- Support EU financial reporting by providing timely information and taking necessary actions as required by UN Women Virtual Global Service Centre for EU financial reporting;
- Assist with preparation for Audit of Projects and Partners by third party audit firm. Follow-up and/or take action on audit recommendations to ensure implementation of corrective actions. Assist in reviewing the audit reports on NGO executed projects.
Provide administrative support to Resource Mobilization:
- Compile and process information from EU Delegation, Country Office, and project team, as inputs to various databases and documents;
- Prepare drafts for cost sharing agreements including conditions of contributions within resource mobilization efforts, adhering to standard agreements where possible. Follow up on contributions within the Country Office resource mobilization efforts.
Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
- Conduct training and/or helping organize training events and activities;
- Collect and compile lessons learned and best practices in financial management and services. Disseminate to clients and stakeholders as appropriate to build capacity and knowledge;
- Contribute to financial business operational practices and management innovations;
- Supervise and guide staff and personnel under responsibility, as applicable, provide technical guidance and monitor performance to ensure delivery of results according to plans and standards of accountability and performance;
- Undertake all trainings in relation to financial management provided, including webinars from headquarters.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Excellent knowledge of financial rules and regulations and accounting principles;
- Excellent knowledge and application skills of IT tools and understanding of management systems;
- Excellent knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages;
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems;
- Ability to administer and execute financial and accounting processes and transactions.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Completion of secondary education is required;
- Specialized national or international certification in accounting and finance is an asset;
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting is an asset.
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience in finance;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems is required;
- Experience in the use of a modern web-based ERP System, preferably Oracle Cloud, is desirable.
- Fluency in English, Romanian is required
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Russian, Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
APPLICATION PROCESS AND SUBMISSION PACKAGE
Note: UN Women reserves the right to retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UN Women at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
Interested candidates are invited to submit applications with the following documents.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
The United Nations in Moldova is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.