OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This is a requisition for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The Department of Evidence and Intelligence for Action in Health (EIH) is responsible for leading the Organization into a full fluid cycle that begins with the production and availability of quality basic and disaggregated data and the strengthening of information systems and digital transformation for health as fundamental pillars, the subsequent ethical use of data to produce health intelligence through analysis, modelling, forecasting, and data science to guide decisions and actions in health, knowledge generation and management to improve the access, use, and sharing of evidence in health, the prioritization of research agendas and resources to respond to regional priorities, and culminating with knowledge translation to support evidence-based decisions and policy making in public health, including the implementation of research policy and bioethics programs and the management of the Pan American Journal of Public Health.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the technical guidance of the Director, Evidence and Intelligence for Action in Health (EIH) and the direct supervision of the PAHO/WHO Representative (PWR), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
a) Provide technical support and collaboration for the development and implementation of the country’s Information Systems for Health and Digital Transformation Roadmap, in alignment with the Regional Roadmap for the Digital Transformation of the Health Sector and IS4H initiative;
b) Collaborate with all technical areas at the Country Office to promote the digital transformation of the health sector and make progress towards integrated information systems with appropriate capacities to monitor health results, service activities & resources (human, financial and technological);
c) Provide technical and policy support in the areas of Information Systems and Digital Health, information technologies and data management; advise on project development and program activities required for the operationalization and accessibility of tools and platforms following the mandates and policies of the Organization;
d) Collaborate in the process of implementing mechanisms that facilitate the development of comprehensive information systems platforms and information tools, including vital statistics, that allow the integration of data, information and knowledge from areas and programs across the Organization to facilitate access to data from health and development partners;
e) Provide technical guidance for the implementation of the PAHO Health Information Platform (PLISA) project, in accordance with the technical standards established for information systems and data governance by the Organization;
f) Develop and implement innovative and more efficient ways for communicating and disseminating data, information, and knowledge in and outside the Organization;
g) Develop and/or update guidance documents, tools, and capacity building materials to support the implementation of the projects, as needed;
h) Provide technical, strategic and policy support and guidance, in the areas of information systems, data management, data science, big data, behavioral sciences and infodemic management for all relevant national counterparts in close coordination with other technical areas;
i) Provide technical advice and guidance for the implementation of Telehealth initiatives;
j) Coordinate with relevant national stakeholders on knowledge translation initiatives in support of the country’s needs;
k) Serve as focal point for all internal and external requests related to country-specific data. Where required, ensure government agreement for the use and dissemination of such data;
l) Provide guidance and support to the government and relevant institutions on the enhancement of national capacities in health data management and real-time analysis of health intelligence data;
m) Collaborate with relevant authorities on the development and maintenance of a national system for comprehensive data collection and trend analysis of public health events;
n) Act as the main liaison between government and PAHO/WHO (all levels) on country-specific data gathering, management and use, and dissemination of PAHO and WHO-generated data and data analysis;
o) Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential: A bachelor’s degree in medicine, public health, information systems, digital science, or any other area related to the functions of the post from a recognized university.
Desirable: A master’s degree in public health, health systems organization, epidemiology or a related area would be an asset.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO, only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http://www.chea.org/ and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process.
Essential: Seven years of national professional experience in the management and operation of information systems and digital health projects, including resource mobilization and the management of scientific and technical networks and strategic partners.
Desirable: At least three years of experience in resource mobilization and in the management of important grants would be an asset.
· Overall attitude at work: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
· Teamwork: Collaborate and cooperate with others/Deal effectively with conflict – Creates team spirit; promotes collaboration and open communication in the team; proactively supports others; welcomes team responsibilities and drives team results; promotes knowledge sharing in the team. Proactively identifies conflicts and facilitates their resolution in a respectful manner; tactfully resolves conflicts between or with others and takes action to reduce any possible tension; effectively builds a rapport with individuals and teams, establishing good personal and professional relationships, as well as minimizing risk of potential conflict.
· Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Relate well to diversity in others and capitalize on such diversity – Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
· Communication: Express oneself clearly when speaking/Listen/Write effectively/Share knowledge – Foresees communication needs of audience and targets message accordingly. Facilitates open communication; encourages others to share their views openly and takes time to understand and consider their views. Writes down ideas in a clear, structured, logical and credible way; drafts and supports the development of guidelines, policies and procedures. Shares relevant information openly and ensures that the shared information is understood; considers knowledge sharing as a constructive working method and demonstrates awareness of the Organization.
· Producing Results: Work efficiently and independently/Deliver quality results/Take responsibility – Prioritizes work, monitors own progress against objectives and adapts plans as required; communicates adjustments as necessary. Acts proactively and stimulates action as needed; handles problems effectively and constructively. Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs. Works independently to produce new results and sets own time lines effectively and efficiently. Shows awareness of own role and clarifies roles of team members in relation to project’s expected results. Makes proposals for improving processes as required and takes responsibility for own work and/or actions, as necessary. Demonstrates positive attitude in working on new projects and initiatives. Demonstrates accountability for own success, as well as for errors; learns from experience.
· Moving forward in a changing environment: Propose change/Adapt to change – Actively supports Organizational change initiatives and demonstrates personal commitment to them, including when faced with new demands; proposes workable solutions to challenging situations. Engages in positive responses to a changing environment and promotes workable solutions to achieve own and team’s results. Welcomes, and actively seeks to apply, new ideas, approaches and working methods and technologies in order to improve own and/or team’s work processes and results; demonstrates commitment to Organizational change initiatives.
· Extensive progressive expertise in information systems and digital health, technical information production, communication, and dissemination techniques.
· Theoretical and practical expertise in all aspects related to information systems and digital health, and dissemination techniques and methods to include alternative ways to promote knowledge management.
· Ability to analyze current information networks, systems and portals; capability to develop and plan innovative and appropriate solutions for improvement.
· Expertise in the collection, analysis, and interpretation of epidemiological and event-based surveillance data.
· Ability to develop indicators and metrics, collect and analyze data, and present findings to authorities and decision makers.
· Expertise in transforming analyses into briefing documents and other technical and policy materials for senior leadership.
· Technical expertise in evaluation of national vital statistics systems and the development and implementation of strategies to improve data quality and coverage. Demonstrated skills to develop public-health guidelines and other knowledge translation initiatives.
· Strong inter-personal skills, diplomacy, and tact to effectively communicate with senior level health officials in public and private sector and civil society, multiple stakeholders and professionals from diverse cultural backgrounds.
· Strong professional oral and writing skills including the development of reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest levels of the Organization.
Very good knowledge of Spanish, with a working knowledge of English.
Demonstrated ability to effectively understand new and evolving IT and digital health solutions, as well as new Business Intelligence and Artificial Intelligence tools and models. Other IT skills and knowledge of IT applications such as Office 365, OneDrive, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and Word and virtual conference and collaborative tools such as Zoom, Skype for business, Team, Slido, etc, are considered essential.
Annual Salary: (Net of taxes)
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION (Local Recruitment)
This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
A written test may be used as a form of screening.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and e-Manual.
For information on PAHO please visit: http://www.paho.org
PAHO/WHO is an ethical organization that maintains high standards of integrity and accountability. People joining PAHO are required to maintain these standards both in their professional work and personal activities.
PAHO/WHO also promotes a work environment that is free from harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination, and other types of abusive behavior. PAHO conducts background checks and will not hire anyone who has a substantiated history of abusive conduct.
PAHO/WHO personnel interact frequently with people in the communities we serve. To protect these people, PAHO has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse. People who commit serious wrongdoing will be terminated and may also face criminal prosecution.
PAHO/WHO is committed to workforce diversity. PAHO/WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
PAHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance). Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, dependency benefits, pension plan and health insurance scheme.
All applicants are required to complete an on-line profile to be considered for this post.
Candidates must hold a permanent local working visa (citizenship or permanent resident card) of Venezuela.
Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration. A written test and/or interview will be held for this post. The post description is the official documentation for organizational purposes.