Urban Planning and Spatial Analysis Expert
Job Opening ID: 224785
Job Network : –
Job Family : HST
Category and Level : Consultants, CON
Duty Station : NAIROBI
Department/Office : United Nations Human Settlements Programme
Date Posted : Jan 10, 2024
Deadline : Jan 19, 2024
Result of Service
To provide technical expertise on urban planning and spatial analysis to Planning Finance and Economy Section
Duties and Responsibilities
UN-Habitat, the United Nations Human Settlements Programme, is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable and resilient towns and cities. It is the focal point agency for all urbanization and human settlement matters within the UN system. UN-Habitat envisions well-planned, well-governed and efficient cities and towns, with adequate housing, infrastructure and universal access to employment and basic services such as water, energy, and sanitation.
The Urban Practices Branch (UPB) is the tools and methodology production center of the UN- Habitat that develops normative guidance and cutting-edge tools through communities of urban practices and is the operational level responsible to undertake technical cooperation projects, such as the construction of water and sanitation facilities, shelter and other work.
The Planning, Finance & Economy Section (PFES) is responsible to support urban and territorial planning at all scales including through the development of planning policy, norms and guidelines, urban design and public space design, urban finance (municipal finance and urban development/projects finance), and local economic development.
UN-Habitat – Urban Planning and Design Lab
The Urban Planning and Design Lab (Urban Lab) is an initiative from UN-Habitat to promptly respond to the requests of national and local governments to support sustainable urban development. The Urban Lab is the integrative facility of the Agency where innovative processes and partnerships are translated into tangible and transformative solutions to complex urban challenges. Throughout, the Urban Lab acts as a neutral broker, managing knowledge in complex stakeholder settings to resolve multi-sectoral, multi-scalar and multi-stakeholder challenges.
The Lab brings together a multidisciplinary team of urban planners, environmental, data-science, mobility, legal and financial experts, providing a holistic and proactive approach to sustainable urbanization. Hence, the Lab captures the necessary thematic disciplines, experts, actors and stakeholders.
In this context, the Urban Lab applies an integrated approach to systemic and strategic planning to deliver transformative change for sustainable urbanization and to achieve the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the New Urban Agenda.
The Urban Lab falls under the Planning, Finance and Economy Section, which is part of the Urban Practices Branch and Global Solutions Division.
Reporting and Communication
The Urban Planning and Spatial Analysis will be hired to collaborate closely with the Urban Lab team of PFES. The Individual Contractor will be hired and work under the overall supervision of the Head of the Urban Lab and the direct supervision of the Programme Manager of the mentioned projects under Duties and Responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Head of the Urban Lab and the direct supervision of the Programme Manager, in coordination with the UN-Habitat Regional Offices and in close collaboration with UN-Habitat thematic Sections, the incumbent of the post will have to fulfil the following duties and responsibilities:
• Provide technical expertise in relation to the Urban Recovery project in Ukraine by providing guidance on the spatial analysis for profiling and recovery planning.
• Guide the discussions associated with data collection, processing, analysis and production of digital platforms for delivery to local partners in Ukraine.
• Coordinate spatial analysis process with the implementing partners in Ukraine and develop a data management system that facilitates coordination.
• Provide guidance to the development of geodatabase for partner cities in Ukraine.
• Provide technical expertise in relation to the normative production of the Evidence-based Urban Planning Guidelines.
• Advise and work with the Urban Lab teams on the application of the evidence-based approach in projects.
• Provide technical expertise and develop methodology to support Spatially Informed Capital Investment Planning.
• Develop training material and capacity reinforcement activities and deliver workshops/training for the Evidence-based Urban Planning and Capital Investment Planning workstreams in the Urban Lab.
• Support and contribute to the development of methodologies and guidelines to be tested and implemented in the Urban Lab projects.
• Analyse, collect, compile and interpret data, and develop analytic and diagnostic maps, drawings, and related reports for partner cities to inform the urban and territorial planning.
• Develop methodologies for open-source data platforms for UN-Habitat and Partners.
• Provide guidance to the GIS professionals in the PFES to innovate workflows to improve the efficiency and quality of developed products.
• Provide input to relevant Urban Lab and PFES documents and publications.
• Contribute to the development of the Urban Lab and Section project portfolio on urban planning and spatial analysis.
Academic Qualification: Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in Architecture, Urban Development and Planning, Geography, Spatial Analysis or a related field. A first-level university degree, in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Work Experience: At least 2 years of relevant work experience in the field of sustainable development and spatial analysis (and/or related fields) with direct proven experience in drawing and preparing plan graphical material using computer-assisted design tools, with special attention to data management and processing with GIS software is required;
Direct proven experience of urban planning projects/processes, in combination with e.g. urban resilience, mobility, project finance, and/or data systems, is desirable;
Proven experience in GIS software use, data analysis and map production is desirable
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this advertised position fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable