Programme Assistant, DCP/OA
Job Opening ID: 225384
Job Network : Economic, Social and Development
Job Family : Programme Management
Category and Level : General Service and Related Categories, G-5
Duty Station : GENEVA
Department/Office : International Trade Centre
Date Posted : Jan 10, 2024
Deadline : Jan 21, 2024
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located at the Office for Africa (OA) is part of the Division of Country Programmes (DCP) which is responsible for
coherence and impact of ITC’s programmes at the country and regional levels. The five regional sections within ITC, one of which is OA, maintain close relations with partners in ITC’s programme countries to ensure a demand-led approach for all projects. The sections coordinate throughout the project cycle in the design, implementation and monitoring of projects
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Trade Promotion Officer Chief and the overall supervision of the Chief Office for Africa (OA), Division of Country Programmes (DCP), the Programme Assistant for West and Central Africa region will be responsible for the following duties:
• Assists in the coordination of programme/project planning and preparation work for West and Central Africa projects, monitors status of programme/project proposals and receipt of relevant documentation for review and approval.
• Compiles, summarizes, and presents basic information/data on specific programmes/project and related topics or issues.
• Reviews project documents, especially cost plans/budgets, for completeness and compliance with relevant rules and procedures prior to submission for final approval and signature; identifies inconsistencies; distributes project documents to relevant parties upon approval.
• Reviews budget revisions; verifies availability of funds; ensures necessary approval and entry in computerized budget system.
• Serves as focal point for administrative coordination of programme/project implementation activities, involving extensive liaison with a diverse organizational units to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions, e.g. recruitment and appointment of personnel, travel arrangements, training/study tours, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services, etc.
• Compiles, summarizes and enters data on project delivery; drafts related status reports, identifying shortfalls in delivery, budget overruns, etc., and brings to the attention of management.
• Drafts correspondence on budget-related issues and prepares and updates periodic reports, briefing notes, graphic and statistical summaries, accounting spreadsheets, etc.
• Provides general office assistance; responds to complex information requests and inquiries; reviews, logs and routes incoming correspondence; sets up and maintains files/records; organizes meetings, workshops; handles routine administrative tasks, , etc.
• Provides guidance/training to new/junior staff.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Professionalism: Knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures generally and in particular those related to programme/project administration, implementation and evaluation, technical cooperation, programming and budgeting. Understanding of the functions andorganization of the work unit and of the organizational structure and respective roles of
related units. Ability to work well with figures, undertake basic research and gather information from standard sources. Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for
team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently
High school diploma or equivalent.
Job – Specific Qualification
Five years of experience in programme or project administration, technical
cooperation, or related area is required. The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced to 3 years for candidates who possess a first-level university degree or higher.
Several years of experience within the United Nations common system, or similar international organization, is desirable
Experience working with an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system such as UMOJA is desirable.
Experience in basic data analysis, is desirable
For the post advertised, fluency in English and knowledge of French is required