Associate Programme Officer (Non Tariff Measures), DMD/TMI
Job Opening ID: 225385
Job Network : Economic, Social and Development
Job Family : Programme Management
Category and Level : Professional and Higher Categories, P-2
Duty Station : GENEVA
Department/Office : International Trade Centre
Date Posted : Jan 10, 2024
Deadline : Jan 21, 2024
Org. Setting and Reporting
The Trade and Market Intelligence (TMI) section is part of ITC’s Division of Market Development (DMD). TMI has developed and is continuously evolving a set of market analysis tools including Trade Map and Market Access Map among others and also customizes these tools for specific regions to facilitate greater intra-regional trade and integration. In addition, TMI has developed methodologies for focused studies as well as analytical outputs and surveys in areas such as non-tariff measures (NTMs). TMI also delivers capacity-building services for beneficiaries in using its tools and analysis methodologies in support of strategic and operational trade-related decisions.
ITC’s programme on NTMs, hosted in TMI, contributes to increasing the transparency of trade regulations, assessing private sector concerns with trade regulations and procedures and designing technical assistance for overcoming trade barriers with the aim to reduce NTM-related trade cost for developing country exporters and importers. It involves comprehensive business surveys on NTMs and related obstacles to goods trade in developing and least-developed countries, stakeholder consultations to bring SMEs’ voices to the attention of trade policy makers, to trigger the needed change, and capacity building on market access. For more information about the programme, please visit www.ntmsurvey.org.
The goal of this job function is to contribute to NTM programme implementation, in particular by contributing to the technical preparation and roll-out of business surveys, the implementation of the trade obstacles alert mechanisms and related training activities
Under the direct supervision of NTM Programme Officer (DMD/TMI) and the overall supervision of the head of ITC’s NTM Programme (DMD/TMI), the Associate Programme Officer, NTM will be responsible for the following duties:
• Works with key clients to facilitate the development, implementation and evaluation of NTM projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes specific aspects of programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and recommends corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
• Carries out basic research on selected aspects of programmes, operations and other activities, etc., to include collecting, analyzing and presenting statistical data and other information gathered from diverse sources.
• Provides substantive support for policy coordination and evaluation functions, including the review and analysis of emerging issues and trends on regulatory and procedural trade barriers, participation in evaluations or research activities and studies;
• Assists in performing consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
• Participates in business survey initiatives covering both goods and trade in services; assists with design of data collection tools; issues data collection tools, reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares preliminary conclusions.
• Contributes to the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, press releases etc.
• Provides administrative and substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying and proposed participants, preparation of background documents and presentations, handling logistics, etc.
• Undertakes capacity building activities; participates in the development of training workshops, seminars, etc.; participates in and makes presentations on trade in services and related trade barriers;
• Participates in field missions, including provision of substantive and administrative support, data collection, etc.
• Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
• Contribute to stakeholder engagement to ensure continuous liaison with key partners and stakeholders for NTM projects
• Performs other duties as required.
Professionalism: Knowledge of Excel. Knowledge on issues regarding international trade, market access and competitiveness. Knowledge of non-tariff measures. Knowledge of services trade regulations and obstacles to services trade. Knowledge of survey design and implementation. Knowledge of issues faced by women-led companies and related theoretical underpinning on gender and trade. Knowledge of the relevant WTO agreements and other relevant international treaties and conventions. Project design skills. Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to assist with data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
An advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in in business administration, management, economics or a related field is required.
A first-level degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in the specified fields of studies with two additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Job – Specific Qualification
A minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience in project/programme management, administration or related area is required.
Experience in trade in services and TRTA is desirable.
Fluency in English is required;
Fluency in French or Spanish is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.