Programme Management Assistant
Job Opening ID: 223935
Job Network : Economic, Social and Development
Job Family : Programme Management
Category and Level : General Service and Related Categories, G-6
Duty Station : NEW YORK
Department/Office : Department of Economic and Social Affairs
Date Posted : Jan 10, 2024
Deadline : Jan 19, 2024
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA), Office of Intergovernmental Support and Coordination for Sustainable Development (OISC), Operational Activities Policy Branch (OAPB). The Programme Management Assistant will work under the direct supervision of the Senior Economic Affairs Officer, P5 and overall guidance of the Chief, D1 of the Operational Activities Policy Branch (OAPB). The Branch provides substantive support to the United Nations General Assembly quadrennial comprehensive policy review of the United Nations system operational activities for development and to the Economic and Social Council’s coordination and guidance of the UN development system. For more information, please visit our website at https://www.un.org/ecosoc/en.
Within limits of delegated authority and under the direct supervision of the Chief of the Operational Activities Policy Branch (OAPB), the Programme Management Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
• Provides assistance in support of planning and implementation of the work programme of the Operational Activities Policy Branch.
• Researches, compiles, analyses, summarizes, and presents basic information requested through: the quadrennial comprehensive policy review of the United Nations system operational activities for development; General Assembly resolution 72/279 on the repositioning of the United Nations development system; and other relevant decisions and resolutions of the General Assembly and the Economic and Social Council.
• Assists in the coordination of programme planning and preparation; monitors status of programme proposals; takes necessary action to ensure documents are completed and submitted to relevant parties for approval.
• Assists in the preparation and analysis of programme budget proposals; provides assistance in the interpretation of budget guidelines; reviews and coordinates submissions of programme proposals and budget estimates, ensuring that requisite information is included and justified in terms of proposed activities; propose adjustments as necessary; prepares reports and ensures that outputs/services are properly categorized.
• Assists in the monitoring and evaluation of programmes; categorizes, updates, tracks and analyses data related to programmes, e.g. accounting records, outputs, resources utilized, deviations/revisions, etc.; carries out periodic status reviews, identifies issues and initiates requisite follow-up actions; prepares revised budget estimates; reports on budget revisions, expenditures and obligations, verifies availability of funds; ensures necessary approval and entry in computerized budget system; initiates financial authorizations for expenditures.
• Collaborates with programme managers on performance reporting; liaises with relevant parties on the interpretation of the activities scheduled in the PB and various planning instruments such as the medium-term plan and internal work plans; provides assistance on reporting requirements, guidelines, rules and procedures and ensures completeness and accuracy of data submitted.
• Coordinate extensively with service units and liaises with internal team members, as well as with the permanent missions to the United Nations and United Nations system entities.
• Drafts programme summaries, coordinates review and clearance process, and coordinates with editor, translation services, etc. on finalization and publication of reports in multiple languages.
• Serves as focal point for coordination, monitoring and expedition of programme/project implementation activities, involving extensive liaison with diverse organisational units to initiate requests, prepare standard terms of reference against programme/project objectives, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions and resolve issues related to project implementation, e.g. recruitment and appointment of personnel,
travel arrangements, organisation of and participation in training/study tours, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services, etc.
• Prepares, maintains and updates files (electronic and paper) and internal databases; designs and generates a variety of periodic and ad hoc reports, statistical tables, graphic content, and other background materials/notes to facilitate inspection and other reviews.
• Drafts correspondence and communications related to all aspects of programme administration, including work plan and budgets, revisions and other related issues, as well as prepares unit contributions for a variety of periodic reports.
• Provides guidance and training to new/junior staff.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Professionalism: Knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures generally and in particular those related to programme/project administration, implementation and evaluation, technical cooperation, programming and budgeting. Understanding of the functions and organization of the work unit and of the organizational structure and respective roles of related units. Ability to identify and resolve a range of issues/problems and to work well with figures, undertake basic research and gather information from standard sources. Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Job – Specific Qualification
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in programme or project management, administration, technical cooperation or related area is required. The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced to five years for candidates who possess a first-level university degree or higher.
Experience in finance, budget, accounting or related area is required.
Experience in undertaking research, organizing meetings, handling travel arrangements and recruitment/appointment of personnel is required.
Experience in supporting intergovernmental bodies is required.
Experience with the development-oriented work including UN development system operational activities is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Spanish is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.