Senior Management and Programme Analysis Assistant
Job Opening ID: 225091
Job Network : Management and Administration
Job Family : Management and Analysis
Category and Level : General Service and Related Categories, G-7
Duty Station : NEW YORK
Department/Office : Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance Business Transformation and Accountability Division
Date Posted : Jan 11, 2024
Deadline : Feb 9, 2024
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Office of the Director in the Business Transformation and Accountability Division (BTAD) of the Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance (DMSPC). The incumbent will report to the Special Assistant to the Director.
For more information, please visit https://www.un.org/management/content/our-offices.
Within limits of delegated authority, the Senior Management and Programme Analysis Assistant may be responsible for the following duties:
• Independently provides full range of programme/project management and implementation assistance at all phases of the programme/project cycle as related to business transformation and accountability activities, seeking guidance only in exceptional circumstances.
• Researches, compiles, analyses, summarizes, and presents basic information/data on business transformation and accountability activities, highlighting noteworthy issues/trends for consideration by appropriate parties.
• Tracks resolutions and other legislative decisions that affect programme/project content and oversees the preparation of the relevant database(s) to ensure the incorporation of programmatic and other changes enacted by legislation.
• Reviews, appraises and revises, as necessary, all submissions for substantive programmes/projects, ensuring compliance with guidelines and programme/project objectives; identifies problems/issues, seek clarification from departments, assess replies, and prepares a summary for the manager with suggestions for further action.
• Drafts budget and forecast based on submissions, and assists in the preparation of budget performance submissions; Reviews, analyses and assists in the finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements, including programmatic aspects and ensures compliance with legislative mandates..
• Provides input into the preparation of allotments, including redeployment of funds when necessary and monitors budget implementation/expenditures; Recommends reallocation of funds as necessary.
• Reviews requisitions for goods and services to ensure that correct objects of expenditure have been charged and that funds are available.
• Drafts extra-budgetary cost plans and monitors resources, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
• Monitors budgetary commitments, including verification of charges and obligation documents in Umoja for all financial transactions; prepares periodic budget revisions and ensures appropriate resource allocations; reconciles accounts with amended budget; evaluates trends of financial implementation and makes necessary recommendations to line manager.
• Prepares and monitors programme/project-related activities through the Integrated Planning, Management, and Reporting Solution (IPMR) of the United Nations’ Enterprise Resource Planning Solution;.
• Serves as focal point for coordination, monitoring and expedition of implementation activities; monitor implementation at all stages to ensure work is proceeding according to established plans, including analysing implementation difficulties and initiating remedial action; liaises with diverse organizational units to initiate requests; obtains necessary clearances, processes and follows-up on administrative actions and resolves issues related to programme/project implementation, e.g. recruitment and appointment of personnel, travel arrangements, organization of and participation in training/study tours, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services, etc.
• Arranges for formal closures of projects, final budget revision, transfer of equipment, clearance, publication and distribution of final report.
• Provides secretariat services to committees, ad hoc tasks forces, etc.; drafts and circulates agenda notes to members/participants; assembles background documentation; drafts minutes of the meeting; monitors follow-up actions, etc.
• Establishes internal databases; sets up, files, stores and manages data and information relevant to the scope of programme/project activities.
• Supervises office support staff, including distribution and review of work assignments, training, and inputs to performance evaluation.
• Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
• Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures generally and in particular those related to programme/project administration, implementation and evaluation, technical cooperation, programming and budgeting. Understanding of the functions and organization of the work unit and of the organizational structure and respective roles of related units. Ability to identify, independently assess, formulate recommendations and/or resolve a wide range of issues/problems, undertake research and gather information from standard sources and to work well with figures including ability to analyze and understand financial data. Ability to design information data bases from multiple sources into an integrated programme evaluation system. Ability to direct, supervise and train office support staff. Demonstrated ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given and discretion, resourcefulness and ability to deal proactively and tactfully with offices throughout the organization. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
• PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Job – Specific Qualification
A minimum of ten years of experience in administration, programme or project administration, or related area is required. The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced to eight (8) years for candidates who possess a first level university degree or higher.
Of the above years of experience, at least four (4) years of experience in programme planning and budget formulation, implementation, monitoring and reporting in an international organization is required.
Experience in researching, compiling, and analyzing large data sets in Microsoft Excel or Power BI or similar is required.
Experience with the Strategic Planning, Budgeting and Performance Management modules of an Enterprise Resource Planning system is desirable.
Experience working with the United Nations’ (or a large decentralized organization) systems and procedures related to the financial and human resources management framework is desirable.
One year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.