PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT OFFICER
Job Opening ID: 222036
Job Network : Economic, Social and Development
Job Family : Programme Management
Category and Level : Professional and Higher Categories, P-4
Duty Station : PARIS
Department/Office : United Nations Environment Programme
Date Posted : Jan 11, 2024
Deadline : Feb 24, 2024
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system, and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
The overall objective of UNEP’s Industry and Economy Division is to encourage decision makers in government, local authorities and industry to develop and adopt policies, strategies and practices and technologies that promote sustainable patterns of consumption and production, make efficient use of natural resources, ensure safe management of chemicals and contribute to making trade and environment policies mutually supportive. It promotes the development, use and transfer of policies, technologies, economic instruments, managerial practices and other tools that assist in environmentally sound decision making and the building of corresponding activities.
This post is in UNEP’s Industry and Economy Division, Energy and Climate Branch, Global Environment Facility (GEF) Climate Mitigation Unit, Paris duty station. Under the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Officer and the overall supervision of the Chief of Energy & Climate Branch, the incumbent is primarily responsible for liaising with the GEF Secretariat, GEF agencies, and Governments officials for the globally implemented projects. This position will entail oversight of project execution and ensure all UNEP and GEF criteria rules and regulations are adhered to.
The incumbent will regularly monitor the progress of the programs globally, monitor the performance of the national projects across different agencies, troubleshoot projects at risk and inform the GEF Secretariat of any significant risks or project problems. In addition, the incumbent will participate in evaluation of the program at midterm and technical completion and project closure. The incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
A. Supervision of project implementation of the Global Environment Facility Global portfolio of climate change mitigation projects by:
1. Preparing project supervision plans under his/her portfolio for their entire duration and applying adaptive management principles to the supervision of the projects.
2. Organizing and managing the project inception meeting with a view to ensure project implementation readiness.
3. Providing oversight to project execution and in doing so ensuring that all UN Environment and Global Environment Facility criteria, rules and regulations are adhered to by project partners.
4. Participating in Project Steering Committees and ensuring that Project Steering Committee fulfills its function.
5. Regularly monitoring project progress and performance and rating progress towards meeting project objectives; project execution progress, quality of project monitoring and evaluation, and risk.
6. Monitoring reporting by project executing partners and providing prompt feedback on the contents of the report.
7. Promptly informing management of any significant risks or project problems and taking action and following up on decisions made.
8. Preparing reports in accordance with Global Environment Facility and UNEP requirements.
9. Maintaining adequate project-related documentation and providing input to the risk management system of the unit.
10. Identifying projects at risk, providing recommendations and managing corrective actions; and applying adaptive management principles to project supervision.
11. Assisting with the preparation of project revisions, ensuring that project revision documentation is complete and in accordance with UNEP requirements.
12. Reviewing project outputs, providing technical input and ensuring quality standards are met.
13. Managing any mandatory project(s) mid-term review and ensuring that recommendations are considered by execution teams.
14. Supporting the project terminal evaluation.
15. Taking responsibility to ensure that project is financially closed in a prompt manner after completion of project activities.
16. Supervising and mentoring junior professionals, consultants and general service staff.
B. Project identification and development of the Global Climate Change mitigation portfolio by:
1. Liaising with internal and external partners to identify relevant and eligible project concepts.
2. Discussing and clearing such concepts with the Senior Programme Officer.
3. Consulting with UNEP’s Divisions, regional and liaison offices as necessary.
4. Advising project proponents on how to revise concepts to respond to issues raised by the peer reviewer and other reviews.
5. Monitoring donor project milestones to avoid delays and potential project cancellation.
6. Addressing donor’s Secretariat and Scientific and Technical Advisory Panel reviews and ensuring that Project Review Committee recommendations are considered in further project development by the executing agency.
7. Working with the Fund Management Officer to internalize the Project Preparation Grant upon approval.
8. Supervising Project Preparation Grant execution in accordance with UNEP and donor policies and procedures.
9. Verifying that the project proposals meet donor quality-at-entry standards before submission to the Senior Programme Officer and Coordination Office for Project Review Committee review.
10. Supporting the executing partners in mobilizing Co-financing for the project.
11. Defending proposals through review process and managing revisions in response to comments.
12. Upon Global Environment Facility Chief Executive Officer approval, working with the Fund Management Officer to internalize the project document.
C. Industry and Economy Division knowledge management and data management by:
1. Identifying and codifying lessons emerging from project implementation.
2. Ensuring accuracy and completeness of project data in the project information and the risk management system for all projects under his/her supervision.
3. Contributing to project data reconciliation exercises within the Division and with the Global Environment Facility Secretariat.
5. Identifying media and other outreach opportunities and materials and providing project
information and materials.
6. Participating in events organized by the donor and UNEP to disseminate information on project results and lessons.
D. Undertake UNEP and Global Environment Facility corporate tasks by:
1. Providing input to UNEP and Global Environment Facility policy and information documents as necessary.
2. Identifying opportunities to complement the UNEP Programme of Work with donor-financed initiatives.
3. Representing Industry and Economy Division in UNEP and donor –related meetings.
4. Participating in the UNEP Project Review Committees.
5. Providing regular substantive backstopping to UNEP senior colleagues and partners, including the regional and liaison offices.
6. Maintaining portfolio and risk management records and contributing to UNEP and donor information and knowledge management.
7. Keeping abreast of developments in his/her technical field and further developing competencies and skills; and undertaking at least one relevant learning activity each year.
8. Preparing his/her annual work plan for result based management with clear goals and indicators.
9. Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of the Global Environment Facility. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations. Ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments, adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Engineering, Economy, Environmental Science, Energy or Climate Change related field is required. A first-level university degree in the relevant field in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience maybe be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
Job – Specific Qualification
At least seven (7) years of relevant experience in the area of climate change mitigation (non-land use) is required.
Practical experience in dealing with Government institutions globally is required.
Experience in resource mobilization with donors for projects is required.
Experience in managing multi-country global projects is required.
Experience working with the Global Environment Facility and/or the Green Climate Fund is desirable.
Experience working within an international organization setting is desirable.
Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable.
NOTE: ”Fluency” equals a rating of ”fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand and ”Knowledge of” equals a rating of ”confident” in two of the four areas.