Job Opening ID: 225452
Job Network : Legal
Job Family : Legal Affairs
Category and Level : Consultants, CON
Duty Station : PARIS
Department/Office : United Nations Environment Programme
Date Posted : Jan 11, 2024
Deadline : Jan 17, 2024
Result of Service
Under the supervision of the UNEP-CCC Focal Point, the Legal Adviser will deliver the following:
– Characterization of the National Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation Plan (PNAyMCC) and survey of available Climate Change Response Plans (PRCC). Analysis of the lines of action of the PNAyMCC, the PRCC and their linkage
– Analysis of available Response Plans and socialization of results.
– Proposal of methodology for systematization of Response Plan data.
– Systematization of information contained in the available Response Plans.
– Generation of training content adapted to national circumstances, suitable for the provinces.
– Presentation of results to national and provincial stakeholders.
Remote, from Buenos Aires, Argentina
Duties and Responsibilities
The initiative for Climate Action Transparency (ICAT) aims to help governments build capacity to measure the effects of their policies and report progress publicly, thus fostering greater transparency, effectiveness, trust and ambition in climate policies worldwide. This initiative is piloted with 20 developing countries.
The Legal Adviser is needed in close collaboration with the others national consultants and the Project Manager Adviser with the support of national consultants of ICAT Argentina, to prepare the deliverables and outputs specified under the outcome “Evaluation of the impact of climate change response plans (PRCC) at the subnational level on the fulfilment of national mitigation targets (Outcome #2).
– A University degree preferably in Law, Environmental sciences, Engineering, Biology or a closely related area is required.
– At least 2 years of experience in projects related to environment and/or climate change is required.
– At least 3 years of experience in legal field is required.
– At least 2 years of experience working at the national level is required.
– At least 2 years of experience participating in the elaboration of plans or strategies related to environmental issues is desirable.
– An understanding of climate change policy, transparency, and MRV within the Government of Argentina and the associated stakeholders would be an advantage is desirable.
– In-depth knowledge of global climate change policies with a strong understanding of Argentina’s climate change laws and policies is essential.
– Capability to identify, analyze, and actively participate in resolving issues and problems, including the ability to exercise judgement in the given context, plan tasks effectively, and manage conflicting priorities. A sense of pride in one’s work and achievements are crucial.
– Be conscientious and efficient in fulfilling commitments, adhering to deadlines, and delivering results. Motivated from professional rather than personal concerns. Persistence in the face of complex problems or challenges and maintaining composure in stressful situations are key attributes and practical experience using IT tools such as MS Office.
Fluency in written and spoken Spanish is required. Knowledge of other United Nations languages (Arabic, Mandarin Chinese, English, French, Russian) is an asset.