E (most hardship)
Non FamilyDanger Pay
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
January 24, 2024
Standard Job Description
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Field Assistant is normally supervised by the Field Officer/Associate and performs a variety of functions related to Field activities within the office. The supervisor exercises close control and regular review of the work processes and provides regular advice and guidance.
The incumbent keeps frequent internal contacts with staff members in the same duty station to exchange information and with the external contacts generally with officials of national and international institutions, leaders of the refugee community, local population and/or Implementing Partners (IPs) on routine subject matters under the direction of the supervisor.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Assist in administrative tasks as required such as preparation of reports and meeting authorized personnel and assisting them during field missions.
– Act as interpreter in the exchange of routine information, contribute to related liaison activities and respond directly to routine queries.
– Collect data and other information relevant to UNHCR and report to the supervisor accordingly.
– Keep regular contacts with local authorities and implementing partners as requested by supervisor.
– In coordination with implementing partners, assist in the reception, registration and provision of assistance to persons of concern to UNHCR.
– Liaise with local authority counterparts, partners and populations of concern.
– Direct incidents and problems to the supervisor when they cannot be resolved at their level.
– Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree
For G4 – 1 year relevant experience with High School Diploma; or Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Business Administration, Law, Political Science
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
CO-Drafting and Documentation
CL-Multi-stakeholder Communications with Partners, Government & Community
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
CL-Multi-stakeholder Communications with Partners, Government & Community, CO-Drafting and Documentation, IT-Computer Literacy
Business Administration – Other, Law – Other, Political Science – Other
Accountability, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Stakeholder management, Teamwork & collaboration, Technological awareness
UNHCR Salary Calculator
Undertake eliminatory written test with passing score of 50%
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance