The European Investment Fund (EIF) is seeking to recruit for its Equity Investments & Guarantees Department (EIG) – Institutional Asset Management Division at its headquarters in Luxembourg, (Senior/Principal) Product Development Officer*. This is a full-time position at grade 4/5 – 5/6 (depending on experience) for which the EIF offers a permanent contract.
*internal benchmark: (Senior) Officer
Panel interviews via video-conference are anticipated for 2nd half of February 2024
Part of the EIB Group, the mission of the European Investment Fund (EIF) is to improve access to finance for SMEs and small mid-caps in Europe. We do this by supporting emerging and established fund managers with equity investments and by designing debt financing instruments that share the risk taken by financial institutions when they lend to or invest in small businesses. We bring this support closer to entrepreneurs through our extensive network of partners and financial intermediaries in all EU Member States and associated countries.
You will play a key role in the development of investment products and services within EIF as part of a team dedicated to the product development activities. In the context of an ongoing review of the organisational structure, subject to business requirements and priorities the reporting line may change and/or the content of the work might become focussed on a subset of the responsibilities described below.
Working in a team and reporting directly to the Head of Unit, you contribute to the development of the Unit’s and Division’s goal by notably being a point of contact across the EIB Group and external counterparts. The job requires a constant interface with internal EIF services and with external counterparts (including investors, fund managers, law firms, AIFM service providers and advisors).
Building upon existing experience in the product development area, you will contribute to the following processes of developing new products and services that achieve the assigned Business Plan objectives against the set timetable.
At a level commensurate with your experience you will have the following responsibilities:
- Enhance existing products and design and develop products and services from concept through to finalization in close collaboration with other EIF Services;
- Participate in a team and their different work streams for the delivery of products, services and investor reporting with other EIF Services and external service providers;
- Review existing and develop new financial models for different type of products including primary and secondary transactions, in cooperation with the Front Office Analytics Unit and in accordance with the model governance framework;
- Participate alongside relevant EIF services (e.g. Mandate Origination, Equity Investments, Legal Services, Compliance, Risk Management, Financial Control and Operations Information Management) in ensuring consistency of products and services, notably from a corporate governance stand point;
- Liaise with transactional Front Office professionals and other relevant EIF services for the purpose of the assessment of new products and market opportunities;
- In coordination with transactional Front Office professionals, engage with PE and VC funds and other relevant market players (e.g. research professionals) in the context of the core tasks described herein and particularly to gather market trends and feedback vis-à-vis EIF’s product palette;
- Contribute towards relationships with external advisors;
- Contribute to the setup, improving and documenting of product development processes and procedures to ensure swift on-boarding of new investors;
- Contribute to the definition of product offering(s) and services to capture the added – value, investment strategy definition, implementability and required service levels;
- Support in obtaining the required internal and external approvals to engage in detailed negotiation via the appropriate internal committee(s);Proactively contribute to the implementation of the business plan, participating as necessary in the research and identification of new opportunities.
- University degree in Finance, Economics, Engineering or Business Administration (preferably at postgraduate level) with a combination of the above being an additional asset;
- At least three (3) years of post-graduation (after having obtained your initial university diploma) relevant professional experience at the same level of responsibility for the Officer role, and at least five (5) years of post-graduation (after having obtained your initial university diploma) relevant professional experience at the same level of responsibility for the Senior Officer role, on assignments related to primary or secondary PE, VC or infrastructure transactions or to PE, VC or infrastructure portfolio management;
- Some first-hand knowledge of institutional, equity and quasi equity instruments;
- Prior experience in financial analysis, the interpretation of financial and legal documentation and quantitative financial skills is a requirement;
- A good understanding of ESG topics and SFDR regulations are a requirement;
- Any – or combination – of the following would also be appreciated for the Officer role and would be considered a pre-condition for the Senior/Principal Officer:
- Knowledge of additional financial instruments such as fund structuring, Appraisal and Due Diligence processes, Portfolio Development and Pricing;
- Prior experience in a private equity, secondary transactions, co-investment or public institution, as well as knowledge of EU financial instruments and regulations
- CFA and/or CAIA qualification would be an advantage;
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English. Knowledge of other EU languages would be considered an advantage.
- Good verbal and written communication and presentation skills;
- Commercial approach and ability to manage complex operations;
- Very good financial modelling skills;
- Very good interpersonal and negotiation skills;
- Sense of initiative and problem-solving approach;
- Ability to organise own work, set priorities and meet tight deadlines;
- Excellent team spirit.
Deadline for applications*: 25 January 2024
We are an equal opportunities employer, who believes that diversity is good for our people and our business. We encourage all suitably qualified and eligible candidates to apply regardless of their gender identity/expression, age, racial, ethnic and cultural background, religion and beliefs, sexual orientation/identity, disability or neurodiversity.
Applicants with specific needs are encouraged to request reasonable accommodations at any stage during the recruitment process. Please contact the EIF Recruitment team Recruitment@eif.org who will ensure that your request is handled.
By applying for this position you acknowledge the importance of maintaining the security and integrity of the Information of the EIB Group. In case of selection for the position you agree to comply with all measures (policies, controls, document classification and management) implemented by the EIB Group to prevent unauthorized disclosure of any information or any damage to the EIB Group reputation.
Candidates are informed that pre-employment integrity screening is an integral part of the EIF recruitment process.
* Due to high volume of applications, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.