Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
As the United Nations’ lead agency on international development, UNDP works in 170 countries and territories to eradicate poverty and reduce inequality. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities, and to build resilience to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. Our work is concentrated in four focus areas: sustainable development, democratic governance and peacebuilding, and climate and disaster resilience.
UNDP has been supporting the development efforts of Kazakhstan since independence, with major focus on all pillars of sustainable development: social, economic and environmental. Its work is aimed at strengthening human development for all so that no one is left behind. The UNDP CO jointly with the Government institutions and other stakeholders implements several strategic initiatives in various sectors ranging from public administration issues to building social cohesion and supporting resilience measures. Governance area is an integral part of the UNDP CO programme, which primarily focuses on building effective, efficient, transparent, and accountable institutions, free of corruption. Governance programme consists of several strategic initiatives that support Kazakhstan modernization efforts with focus on priority reform areas stretching from Civil Service Reform and Rule of Law to Prevention of Violent Extremism and addressing the needs of most vulnerable groups of population. The Governance programme activities are implemented by the Governance Unit and its projects in close partnership and collaboration with the Government of Kazakhstan on national and subnational levels, expert community, academia, and civil society organizations. The Governance Unit partners with multiple stakeholders to realize UNDP mission, including the Administration of the President, Prime-Minister’s Office, Parliament, line ministries and local government authorities. Increased attention is devoted to partnerships with civil society organizations, private sector and international donor organizations to strengthen the efforts at sectoral level. In September 2015, the United Nations and 193-member countries endorsed the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development during the 70th General Assembly, by adopting the Declaration of the Summit on Sustainable Development. The President of the Republic of Kazakhstan (RK) signed the agenda underlining that the goals and targets of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) fully coincide with the priorities and tasks of Kazakhstan. The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development provides a visionary roadmap to strive for a world of sustainable prosperity, social inclusion and equality.
In a view of the above and responding to demand of the Government of the RK for SDGs nationalization, the Ministry of National Economy of the RK and UNDP in 2019 agreed to engage in the SDG Platform project for setting up an integrated platform that will bring a range of stakeholders working together to fulfil the Agenda 2030 in the country. During the period of implementation, the project gained interest from partners in Kazakhstan, both national and international and mobilized additional funding from the donors, which allowed the activities undertaken within the project to grow at a bigger scale and resulted in the growth of the project portfolio, which is now comprised of two SDG related projects: 1) SDG Financing Project within the UN Joint Programme on aligning policy and financing with SDGs towards an Integrated National Financing Framework (INFF) in Kazakhstan; 2) Set-up of an SDGs Platform for Central Asia. Considering above, there is a need for a Project Analyst to support the Project Manager in the project implementation by providing coordination support to the project implementation and technical advice to the projects in accordance with projects documents and approved annual work plans.
Duties and Responsibilities
Building cooperation and close liaison with project counter partners:
- Closely cooperate with project counterparts, including the Ministry of National Economy of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Kazakhstan, National Bureau on Statistics, Economic Research Institute, local authorities, and other relevant parties involved in projects activities;
- Maintain close liaison with national project partners, ensuring optimum participation and promoting ownership of the Government in the implementation of the projects, as well as ensure coordination of the project’s activities with other stakeholders at the national level;
- Keep on pulse recent programmatic country developments and be able to advise on the support, which might be required by national counterparts;
- Provide comprehensive support to the project team in all aspects of projects implementation, in accordance with the projects documents, annual work plans and other joint agreements between the Government and UNDP;
- Provide analytical support and knowledge products in the area of Sustainable Development Goals, gender equality and engagement of the private sector in the realization of Agenda 2030;
- Provide expertise in the day-to-day implementation of projects activities;
- Prepare projects related documents;
- Ensure effective communication with national and local partners and other relevant parties;
- Ensure timely preparation and update of projects annual and detailed work plans, projects progress reports and other related documents;
- Ensure timely, smooth and efficient projects implementation for effective delivery of projects activities and expected outputs through close communication with local specialists;
- coordinate projects, events/workshops/seminars;
- Facilitate research activities and elaboration of joint knowledge products at the national level;
- Reinforce partnerships with state bodies, NGOs and other potential partners;
- Coordinate smooth implementation of projects activities and attainment of the overall projects objectives in close cooperation with local authorities and other relevant parties as stated in the projects documents;
- Coordinate all projects activities with the activities of national counterparts and other UNDP projects;
- enhance relationships with national partners and the donor, provide partners with advanced technical assistance;
- Organize training, workshops, and capacity-building activities in a consultative manner, involving technical experts and stakeholders that may include the government, private sector, NGOs, donors, and/or academia.
- Coordinate Technical Working Groups, Steering Committees and other necessary meetings;
- Ensure compliance of projects business processes with UNDP Project Operational Policies and Procedures and UNDP Standard Operating Procedures;
- Proactively contribute to the implementation of the communications strategy of the project;
- Perform other duties as requested by the Head of Governance Unit.
Project and Financial Management:
- Design Terms of Reference for project consultants and potential service providers and ensure proper delivery of technical services and submission of technical and other reports;
- Prepare annual project work plan in consultation with major national project stakeholders;
- Comply with security and safety requirements and regulations;
- Prepare and update work plans and budgets;
- Support financial allocations, ensure timely payments in accordance with UNDP rules, regulations and procedures, and generate project reports, including combined delivery reports at the national and regional levels;
- Prepare procurement plans and oversee procurement and logistics for projects implementation;
- Produce periodical annual projects progress reports and financial reports;
- Prepare talking points and speeches for the UNDP Senior Management on project-related issues;
- Provide regular updates on the project progress to the Head of Governance Unit;
- Perform other duties as required.
Support to resource mobilization:
- Establish and maintain contacts and cooperation with the relevant UN Agencies, government institutions, bilateral and multilateral donors, private sector and civil society;
- Undertake horizon scanning and explore opportunities for resource mobilization in consultation with the Head of Governance Unit.
Advocacy and Communication:
- Work with UNDP Communications Office and implement the communication strategy of the project;
- Ensure regular communication and coordination with national partners and develop and maintain effective mechanisms for integrating and responding to their feedback and insights;
- Ensure careful selection of communication tools and tailoring the messages taking into account overall socio-political and development context in Kazakhstan;
- Perform other duties as required within the scope of work of this assignment.
The Project Analyst reports directly to the Programme Specialist/Head of Governance Unit. Under the guidance of the Head of Governance Unit, the Project Analyst is responsible for the timely delivery and quality of outputs and technical advice. The jobholder will ensure to provide quality advice to the Head of Governance Unit and comply with appropriate UNDP policies and procedures.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open-minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies:
- Strategic Thinking:
- Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks, and opportunities, linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions.
- Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward look like for UNDP.
- System Thinking:
- Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system.
- Negotiation and Influence:
- Ability to reach an understanding, persuade others, resolve points of difference, gain advantage in the outcome of dialogue, negotiates mutually acceptable solutions through compromise and creates ‘win-win’ situations.
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise, and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience.
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real partner’s needs.
- Engagement & Effectiveness:
- SDG Monitoring and Reporting
- Institutional and Context analysis
- Financing for development incl. integrated national financing framework (INFF).
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in social sciences, international development, community development, economics, public administration or related fields.
- Bachelor’s degree with additional two years of relevant working experience will be given due consideration in lieu of Master`s degree.
- Up to 2 years (with Master’s degree) or minimum 2 years (with Bachelor’s degree) of relevant professional experience related to project or program management, public relations at the national or international level.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in implementation of the projects related to mainstreaming Sustainable Development Goals in Kazakhstan.
- Fluency in English and Russian and/or Kazakh.
- Proven experience in working with national ministries (Ministry of National Economy, Ministry of Finance, local communities and NGOs)
- Experience in analysis of complex issues, design and implementation of plans.
- Proven communication and advocacy experience/skills, and ability to work in an environment requiring liaison and collaboration with multiple actors including government representatives, donors and other stakeholders;
- Strong attention to details and ability/experience to work to tight deadlines;
- Event organisation skills/experience is an asset;
- Experience in speechwriting is an asset;
- Relevant experience working with UN or other international organizations is a plus.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.