icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Established 60 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.
The Advancing Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (AdSEARCH) project of icddr,b aims to improve sexual and reproductive health (SRH) outcomes and realization of rights among different population groups with distinct SRH needs in Bangladesh. This research project will explore, understand, and assess some key components of sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) among different population groups who have the highest-burden, distinct needs and vulnerabilities.
The Research Investigator will be required to plan, direct, and implement research activities with the objective of collecting and analyzing relevant research data for creating knowledge within the guidelines of the research protocol and organisational values and guidelines. S/he will contribute in monitoring of the activities under AdSEARCH. S/he must have strong critical thinking skills, ability to identify substantive problems that threaten the research activities, and creative capacity to resolve these problems. S/he should be proactive, dynamic, and capable of working independently.
Duties and responsibilities:
The specific areas of duties and responsibilities are detailed below:
- Work with Principal Investigator (PI) in developing research concepts, creating detailed research design and methodology to submit them to the call for funding; Work with PI in developing research protocols;
- Circulate protocol drafts internally and externally, seek feedback and revise accordingly;
- Assist PI is getting approval of research protocol from Research Review Committee (RRC) and Ethical Review Committee (ERC) of icddr,b.
- Critically asses data quality; Identify threats to data integrity, develop and implement sound plans to address these threats;
- Collect and correctly record valid data; Conduct descriptive and associative analysis, interpret data and present results to internal and external audiences.
- Create Scientific and Innovative research ideas;
- Conduct review of relevant scientific literature; Innovative thinking in presenting the research results;
- Participate in writing up of the results and publish in international, peer-reviewed journals as first -author and/or co-authors.
- Support PI to hire project staff, update budgets, track budget, arrange transport and other logistics, initiate to procure necessary items as necessary for smooth functioning of the research project;
- Train staff on data collection and sample collection procedures; Arrange field-testing and finalizing of data collection tools;
- Assign work to team members and initiate activities as per project plan; Monitor data collection and ensure data quality;
- Coach staff on how to address issues faced during field-work.
- Provide training to different cadre of workers, monitor and support health intervention activities and ensure quality assurance;
- Document project activities, maintain liaison with the government and partner organizations;
- Supervise other members of the team (as assigned by the PI) and support and guide them to perform their tasks efficiently.
Required qualification and experience:
- Master’s degree in Public Health/ Statistics/ Applied Statistics/Biostatistics/Epidemiology/ Development Studies/ Population Science/Gender Studies/Sociology/Anthropology with excellent academic record from a reputed University;
- 3 years of working experience in public health or digital health/e-health (preferably in adolescent health /sexual and reproductive health and rights/ maternal, newborn and child health) with strong interpersonal and excellent communication and writing skills in English.
- Candidates who have publications in international peer-reviewed journals with significant contribution will have preference.
Number of Post: 2
Contract Type and duration:
- Fixed Term; duration will be 1 year with a possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and performance.
Salary & benefits:
- Annual Tk. 1,459,020/- inclusive of house rent, conveyance, and other admissible benefits;
- 14.8% provident fund contribution, income tax paid by icddr,b, children allowance @Tk.1,917/- per child per month, festival bonus, contributory healthcare support including dependent spouse and children, group life insurance, and subsidized canteen. Transport and daycare facilities are subject to space availability.
Notes of attention:
- Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for written test /interview;
- The Organization reserves the right to make an appointment at a grade lower than that advertised;
- icddr,b does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Interested candidates who fulfil the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org by January 20, 2024.