WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
JOB TITLE: Data Coordinator, LFT/P2
UNIT/DIVISION: Information Technologies (TEC)
DUTY STATION (City, Country): Bujumbura, Burundi
DURATION: 12 Months, Renewable
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: 25.01.2024
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Technology and connectivity are rapidly reaching some of the most vulnerable people and places affected by crisis, but they are also increasingly expanding to the services responding to those same crises. As one of the main humanitarian actors, the World Food Programme (WFP) has the opportunity and the obligation to leverage data and technology to better know and serve those in need by digitally transforming the way it works. Such ambition led to a plan aimed at establishing, integrating, and mainstreaming the core elements of an end-to-end digital business process.
The Burundi Country Office is committed to enable end-to-end digital implementations across the Country as part of its efforts to increase efficiency, effectiveness and accountability. The vision is to incrementally achieve digital management of beneficiaries and cash-based transfer (CBT) and in-kind transfers, providing coordinated frameworks for access to data to enhance programme design, integration and implementation.
Under the supervision of the Head of the CO TEC Unit, the Country Data Coordinator will be responsible for the leading of the strategy and implementation of Data consolidation and visualization projects in Burundi country office.
The position calls for an experienced mixed-profile professional that holds hands-on technical expertise in data collections, analysis, integration and visualization, as well as proven ability to engage with diverse stakeholders ranging from WFP’s senior level management (Country Director and heads of Units) to technical experts across various units. The candidate needs to demonstrate ability to effectively capture business process flows and technical requirements at the country office level (also known as “data mapping”) and translate analysis to tangible project and product roadmaps tailored to the country office needs. In the implementation of the data roadmap, the CO Data Coordinator for Burundi will be delivering technical training, and coordinate activities with the CO Data Working Group.
The role calls for a candidate that is able to both deliver advanced training on tools like Tableau, facilitate complex data virtualization projects, drive data quality and governance efforts and standardize a product offering across digital transformation product lines.
1. Work closely with Country Office data owners and stakeholders to identify data gaps and data visualization needs for country operations
2. Identify high-value datasets in the country office (such as data relevant at local levels) for inclusion in the data initiative and associated tools
3. Liaise with the Regional Data Coordinator to promote and facilitate the use of corporate data systems and business intelligence tools at the Country level
4. Work with Regional Data Coordinator to lead the rollout and adoption of Tableau as the business intelligence and data visualization solution standard in the Country Office
5. Educate and inform internal and external audiences about the various tools and resources related to data in WFP
6. Facilitate the adoption of corporate data platforms and processes around data integration to foster a culture of data-driven decision making within the Country Office
7. Provide continual advanced training in data analysis using Tableau and DOTS to key data focal points to develop data analysis competences and ensure skill transfer in the CO
8. Promote Data Literacy via training on data analysis, visualization, storytelling, and data integration projects based on Country Office needs.
10. Ensure that relevant teams and individuals are consulted and involved in key decisions in relation to data and that all decisions made are clearly documented and communicated at Country Office level
11. Develop operational dashboards for activity managers and other functional units’ staff to facilitate access to and/or utilization of data
12. Report progress and issues to the Head of Unit and share with the Regional Data Coordinator
13. Support and contribute to the ongoing development and improvement of the School Connect Dashboard in collaboration with the School Feeding division in HQ
14. Supervise the work of staff assigned to the Data team
15. Any other tasks related to this function.
Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
Advanced University Degree in Data Science, Information Technology, Business Administrations, Statistics, Marketing, Communications, Information Management, other relevant discipline
International Professional: Fluency in French Language and English.
Knowledge and Skills:
Proven experience working in a busy analytical environment and handling complex analysis. Strong written and oral communication skills, including substantive report writing skills. Experience working with teams and team processes. Ability to work in multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environments. The candidate must demonstrate strong data analysis skills. Tableau Software Knowledge is an asset.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION IS FIXED ON 25.01.2024