IFC — a member of the World Bank Group — is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2023, IFC committed a record US$43.7 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
The Financial Institutions Group (FIG) is the IFC industry focused on the private financial sector. In this Group, investment and advisory teams offer solutions to our financial intermediary clients to enable them to play a constructive role in economic growth. In addition to its investment work in the Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) region, FIG through its Investment and Advisory Services program focuses on the institutional strengthening of financial institutions serving the micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises segments, including business strategy, risk management, portfolio management, women in banking, climate finance, and digital financial services.
Within FIG, the Climate Finance Team is mainly focused on catalyzing finance for climate action in the financial sector, which is of strategic importance for IFC and the World Bank Group. For this purpose, the team provides to their clients (individual FIs and other market players) investment, advisory services and capacity building activities.
The Climate Finance Team in LAC is looking for a highly motivated ETC (Extended-Term Consultant) to support the team in research and analysis activities on sustainable finance and climate finance topics.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• New Business Development support: The analyst will help the team in developing a pipeline of advisory clients aligned with FIG’s strategy. As part of this, the analyst will assist in drafting high impact client proposals and pitch presentations, conducting market research and analyzing supporting information, designing project structure as determined by client needs, drafting tentative budgets and timelines, analyzing financial trends, supporting preparation activities for appraisals/missions (i.e. agenda setting, materials gathering, and any logistics planning).
• Project Origination: The analyst will support the project leaders in project origination including back-office support. Once a client expresses interest in pursuing an advisory project with IFC, the analyst will assist in all activities related to launching the project, which typically include in-depth project design (i.e.: defining project activities and scope of work, budget, staffing structure, monitoring and evaluation framework and indicator selection), assistance in drafting legal documentation, internal project approval processes and compliance requirements (e.g. IDD) ensuring all steps in IFC project cycle are fulfilled in a timely manner, and kick-off project workshop preparation with clients.
• Project management and implementation: The analyst will play an active role in supporting the team in managing and implementing advisory projects. This will include working under the guidance of the project leader on each respective project to ensure all activities of IFC’s project cycle and client deliverables are being completed. This can include analysis and updates of project budgets, documenting of project status and assisting with drafting internal reports, updating of project evaluation indicators, conducting background research on market and client related issues, collecting and analyzing quantitative and financial information, and assisting with drafting project-related analysis/reports/presentations to clients and with implementing client’s project activities, developing client deliverables, supervising project staffing, as well as other related project activities.
• Operational Support for the project: Keeping track, reporting and updating the project development on the IFC internal systems (PSRs, PCRs), including periodic supervision reports, budget and funds tracking, KPIs monitoring, internal reports, Integrity Due Diligence, Legal Agreements, etc.
• Donor and fund-raising efforts: The analyst may assist in drafting fundraising proposals and donor reports which requires synthesis of information on current/potential projects.
• Ad-hoc assignments: The analyst may collaborate with other special projects such as contributing to regional strategy development and budgets, updating regional project pipeline and leads, etc.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Economics, International Development, Engineering or Sciences, or related specialty.
• 2-4 years of relevant experience in the financial sector (commercial and/or investment banking), development finance sector, or consulting sector (finance) providing analytical and research support is preferred.
• Background & experience on sustainable finance will be positively valued.
• Solid quantitative analysis skills including knowledge and experience in analyzing financial statements of financial institutions, and conducting financial analysis.
• Competent in Excel in building financial analytical tools and templates (pivot tables, macros, etc.).
• Strong written and qualitative analysis skills, including in depth market research.
• Ability to present information in an insightful and structured manner, both written and oral.
• Relevant skills in drafting high impact presentations in Power Point and storytelling.
• Result-oriented individual with paramount attention to detail, and solid capacity to synthesize information.
• Ability to communicate ideas clearly, articulate issues, and recommend solutions.
• Ability to manage several work-streams concurrently, effectively, under tight deadlines.
• Experience living and working in different cultures preferred.
• Fluency in English and Spanish.
• Proactive interest for climate action and climate finance.
• Skills will be valued according to the level of education and experience.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.