|Transport Sector Office
|Asian Development Bank Headquarters
|Thursday, January 11, 2024
|Thursday, January 25, 2024 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Transport Sector Office (SG-TRA) within the Sectors Group (SG). SG aims to deliver impactful sector strategy, initiatives, and integrated solutions that advance ADB’s strategic agenda in the region and with ADB’s clients. The SG, which is comprised of seven sector offices, supports the delivery of sovereign and nonsovereign, and advisory operations; delivers knowledge services; supports regional departments (RD) and resident missions (RM) in engaging with developing member countries (DMCs); and ensures ADB’s technical leadership externally and internally. SG-TRA leads policy development dialogue, knowledge management, project quality assurance, sector analytic work, and loan and technical assistance processing and administration in the transport sector.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Principal Transport Specialist will oversee, formulate, and articulate policy and strategies on the areas covered by the railways and logistics team, and conduct interactions and dialogues with government officials and other stakeholders. The Principal Transport Specialist will assist in building pipelines with innovation, transformation, replication potential, and high technology, and lead in processing and administrating transport sector projects, including projects in the maritime and inland waterway transport sectors and multimodal integration of different modes of transport, technical assistance (TA), and non-lending products and services (NLPS) to support sustainable and efficient transport initiatives. The incumbent will ensure proper project identification, preparation, appraisal, administration, and documentation, in line with ADB’s strategies, policies, operations manuals, staff instruction, project administration instructions, and assistance-related documentations during the development and implementation of loans, TA, and NLPS for transport sector projects. The incumbent will collaborate closely with other sector groups and departments as ONE ADB team under the ADB’s new operating model and externally with clients and supervise critical tasks, as may be assigned. It is important to keep in view that the project focus will include climate change and decarbonization, private sector participation, enabling institutional and policy environment, quality transport services and financial sustainability, and usage of transformational advanced technologies. The Principal Transport Specialist will also lead in identifying, preparing, and disseminating knowledge work, building capacity of agencies, and replicating good practices of ADB’ funded interventions.
The incumbent will report to the Director, SG-TRA and will supervise one or more National and Administrative staff.
• Leads the formulation and articulation of policy and strategies in the railway and logistics team, including on maritime transport, ports and harbors, international container transport, supply chains and multimodal integration of various modes of transport in DMCs.
• Oversees review of sector policies, legal and regulatory frameworks, and assesses progress towards ADB’s strategic operational priorities, including climate change and regional cooperation and integration.
• Conducts dialogues with government officials and other stakeholders of DMCs on transport sector related issues and assist in preparing project pipelines for the transport and logistics sector, particularly with innovation, transformation, replication potential, and high technology, including decarbonizing the sector and delivering quality infrastructure.
• Discusses with country agencies at a conceptual level to frame transport sector solutions and prioritize projects at the agency level with a focus on maritime transport and logistics, in close coordination with country focal of the Transport Sector Office and country management team.
• Oversees and ensures quality and compliance of lending and non-lending projects and operations in the transport sector including maritime and inland waterways transport, ports and harbors construction, multimodal integration, international container transport, supply chains and other related subsectors.
• Leads project identification, preparation, appraisal, administration and documentation of loans, TA, and NLPS for the railway and logistics team with a focus on maritime transport, inland waterway transport, shipping, multimodal integration, regional cooperation in line with ADB’s policies, operations manuals, project administration instructions, and related requirements.
• Facilitates effective liaison and coordination with development agencies.
• Ensures that projects include substantial value-added elements, such as climate change and decarbonization, private sector participation, enabling institutional and policy environment, quality transport services and financial sustainability, and usage of transformational advanced technologies especially in the maritime transport and shipping sector.
• Works with borrowers/clients, provide guidance and assist in formulating, planning, and preparing quality projects.
• Works on, or leads One ADB teams, collaborating with other sector groups and departments, to ensure quality of projects and cross-sector and cross-thematic approaches.
• Oversees, guides and supports other project specialists in the above functions to identify investment opportunities and ensure quality of projects and required documentation.
• Monitors policy, project progress, and document compliance of projects and programs during implementation.
• Actively participates in the network activities in maritime transport and shipping, shares knowledge, and keeps abreast of the latest developments and issues.
• Contributes to activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building around maritime and inland waterway transport, multimodal transport solutions and integration with other modes of transport, international container transport, supply chains, regional cooperation and integration.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Master’s degree, or equivalent, in transport and/or civil engineering, transport planning, public policy, or other related fields. University degree in engineering, or other related fields, combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
• Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level.
• At least 12 years of relevant professional work experience in the transport sector including international work experience and experience in the maritime transport sector.
• Deep knowledge of the maritime transport sector such as ports and harbors planning and construction, coastal and international main-line shipping, multimodal integration of different modes of transport, international container transport, supply chains and private sector participation.
• Proven leadership qualities and strong analytical and interpersonal skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
• Extensive knowledge of multilateral development bank guidelines on project processing, procurement, recruitment of consultants, and disbursements operations
• International experience working in development in several countries
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 6.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.