Under the GCF Readiness and Preparatory Support Programme, the FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific, in collaboration with six countries of Southeast Asia, will implement a three-year project of strategic regional action entitled “Agriculture Sector Readiness for enhanced climate finance and implementation of Koronivia Joint Work on Agriculture priorities in Southeast Asia”. The countries included under this collaborative project are: Cambodia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam. The project will be implemented in close coordination with the respective NDAs and the Ministries of Agriculture through the ASEAN Climate Resilience Network focal points of each participating Southeast Asian country. This regional project will build capacity to access climate finance for the agriculture sector and create opportunities to scale promising models at national and regional levels. The project will also enable countries to share experiences and co-create proposals for sector specific climate action at the regional level with public and private sector climate and agriculture finance experts. Investment plans will focus on facilitating farmer’s access to capacity to access capacity, resources and finance to address climate change risks.
A regional project team and six country based national project teams will be established for the effective implementation of the project. While the regional project team will oversee project implementation progress and maintain communication with the rest of the PMU to ensure a smooth flow of work, the national project team will lead the implementation of the project activities in the country and coordination for the regional activities.
To support the implementation of the project activities, FAO Country Office in Lao PDR is seeking a motivated, dynamic candidate to serve as a National Coordinator and Climate Finance Specialist. The position may require some field visits in the project coverage areas.
The National Coordinator and Climate Finance Specialist will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative and the direct supervision of Assistant FAO Representative – Programme. Additionally s/he will work under the technical supervision of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) from FAO-RAP and in collaboration with the Regional Coordinator and International Agriculture and Climate Change Specialist and Regional Project Team based at FAO-RAP, the FAO-GCF Coordination Unit, and with dedicated project staff and operational partners at country level.
Climate change and Agriculture, Adaptation, Mitigation, Economics, Climate Finance, Project Management
Tasks and responsibilities
The National Coordinator is expected to lead, monitor and coordinate the project activities at the national level.
Most specifically, the incumbent will undertake the following tasks:
• Lead implementation of the project at the national level including oversight of the national expert team and monitoring the day to day implementation and progress of the project activities.
• Collect baseline information and prepare inception phase reports.
• Lead coordination of the agriculture climate change investment planning and project design process under Outcomes 2 and 4 of the project.
• Prepare inputs and materials on climate, climate change and climate change impacts on agriculture.
• Work with international experts to implement national level assessment exercises.
• Coordinate with relevant stakeholders at the national level including PSC members from the NDA and Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry as well as ASEAN CRN members, DAEs, Public, private and civil society actors.
• Support the regional PMU including the monitoring of project activities at the national level, national budget
• Coordinate national participation on national and regional level trainings, workshops and knowledge exchanges.
• Perform other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• An advanced degree in climate change, natural resources management, environmental economics or any relevant topics.
• At least five years experience in project management.
• Demonstrated knowledge of international climate finance, specifically the green climate fund architecture and adaptation and mitigation agendas of the UNFCCC.
• Working knowledge of English.
• National of the country.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Good command of computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Power point, Internet)
• Knowledge of the administrative policies and procedures of the United Nations and International Organizations.
• Effective communication skills that emphasize teamwork.
• Knowledge and experience in institutional capacity development
• Knowledge of and familiarity with agriculture and sustainable natural resource management
• Proven capacity to conduct fieldwork and ability to work in teams and establish working relationships central and local government institutions and civil society organizations
• Prior experience with the UN and/or international organizations is an asset