The Rural Transformation and Gender Equality Division (ESP) coordinates Programme Priority Areas on gender equality and rural women’s empowerment and on rural transformation. The Division works with Members and other partners to achieve resilient and inclusive rural livelihoods for people in conditions of vulnerability, reduce gender inequalities and advance women’s economic empowerment and promote people-centred climate action and equitable access to natural resources. The Division also leads efforts to integrate the cross-cutting themes of gender, youth and inclusion throughout the work programmes of the Organization. The ESP Division structures its work around three core objectives: 1) build sustainable and resilient livelihoods for vulnerable people in agrifood systems; 2) achieve gender equality and women’s empowerment in agrifood systems; and 3) promote equitable, inclusive and sustainable climate action and natural resource management.
The post is located at FAO headquarters in Rome, Italy, in ESP, and more specifically in the Social Protection Team, and largely contributes to the Divisional Objective 3 ‘Promote equitable, inclusive and sustainable climate action and natural resource management.
The Social Policy Officer (Social Protection) reports to the Senior Social Policy Officer/Social Protection Team Leader.
Bring specific technical expertise in social protection to FAO’s work on promoting equitable, inclusive and sustainable climate action by generating evidence, establishing partnerships, engaging in advocacy and policy dialogue and by providing institutional and human capacity development support.
Comprehensive technical, statistical, analytical and/or policy analysis services and the development of specialized tools, methodologies, systems and/or databases to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of the programme of work and related products, projects, publications and services in alignment with the Organization’s Policy on Gender Equality.
• Plans and leads components of multidisciplinary teams and short term work groups, leads and/or participates in divisional teams, participates in Organization-wide committees, project teams and working groups and provides specialized expertise on international technical networks and/or technical policy and standard setting bodies.
• Supports the integration of gender equality and women’s empowerment in FAO’s work, including the disaggregation of data by sex and age where appropriate, in accordance with the FAO Policy on Gender Equality.
• Develops technical, statistical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks and related tools, methodologies, systems and databases, etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work, products, projects and services.
• Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities, from a gender perspective, to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative cross-sector approaches, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/specialist/advice and expertise.
• Responds to requests and provides technical/policy advice, assistance and solutions to Regional, Subregional and Country Offices; provides technical backstopping to field projects.
• Promotes international cooperation and collaboration, advocates best practices and increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international meetings and conferences.
• Collaborates in capacity development activities involving knowledge sharing, the organization of training workshops, seminars and meetings as well as the development of related materials, on-line tools and information kits.
• Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with Corporate Strategy and divisional plans.
• Develops and manages a programme of work at global and country levels that establishes social protection as an instrument for contributing to more inclusive climate action among rural populations.
• Leads quantitative and qualitative policy analysis and the development of technical reports to inform i) the global narrative on the role of social protection in inclusive climate action; and ii) the design of national policies and programmes.
• Designs and coordinates programmes that provide policy support to Member countries in i) climate proofing national social protection systems; ii) directing climate finance to social protection; and iii) integrating the social protection and climate agendas within national policies and programmes.
• Identifies and maintains partnerships with internal and external actors to enhance FAO’s work on using social protection as a policy instrument for inclusive climate action.
• Represents FAO in internal and external meetings and fora involving social protection and/or climate communities to advocate for the use of social protection as an instrument for inclusive climate action among rural populations.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in political science, development studies, economics, institutional development or other relevant social sciences.
• Seven years of relevant experience in social protection, socio-economic analysis, policy assistance and capacity building in relation to social protection.
• Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English and limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of another official FAO language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions, is desirable.
• Extent and relevance of experience in quantitative and/or qualitative policy analysis and publications record.
• Extent and relevance of country-based experience in strengthening national social protection systems and their integration with other sectors.
• Extent and relevance of experience in working on integrating the social protection and climate agendas.
• Extent and relevance of experience in programme coordination.