Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
January 31, 2024
Standard Job Description
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Registration Associate is a member of the Registration team and is normally supervised by the Registration Officer. The Registration Associate is responsible for supporting all activities related to registration, and with ensuring that registration is effectively used for the identification of specific protection needs, for the management of operations, and for the achievement of durable solutions.
Depending on the size and structure of the Office, the Registration Associate may provide day-to-day supervision, direction and support to UNHCR staff engaged in registration and related activities (including Reception, Filing and Data Management staff), and monitors the efficiency and quality of registration processes, identity and entitlement documentation activities and population data management. The Registration Associate collaborates closely with Protection, Programme, Operational Data Management and Information Management colleagues as well as with Government authorities and partners on the provision of quality population data for the delivery of registration activities.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Assist in the implementation of registration strategies and methodologies for populations of concern.
– Assist in the supervision and daily running of registration team activities, where required.
– Conduct registration interviews when required in accordance with registration standards and guidance.
– Provide counselling to, and responds to queries from, asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR’s registration procedures and their rights and entitlements.
– Maintain accurate and up-to date records and data related to all registration cases.
– Identify persons with specific needs and ensure timely referral to protection follow-up as required.
– Collaborate with protection staff and/or partners in the delivery of assistance and programming, including provision of identity and entitlement documentation.
– Draft correspondence and reports relating to registration activities in the operation, when required
– Provide statistics and draft reports related to registration data, as requested.
– In consultation with the supervisor, make decisions related to the day-to-day operations of the registration unit and devise registration procedures which are efficient and effective.
– Draft and submit reports and statistics related to registration.
– Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G6 – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Good computer skills, particularly in data management.
Training in basic principles of international protection. Experience in working with UNHCR proGres software.
IT-IT Refugee Systems & Applications
DM-Data Collection and Analysis
CL-Programme/Project Mgmt (formulation, implementation, programme cycles and reporting)
TR-Training – Virtual and face to face
RG-Registration SoPs Design/Implementation
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
CL-Programme/Project Mgmt (formulation, implementation, programme cycles and reporting), DM-Data Collection and Analysis, DM-Data Management, IT-Computer Literacy, IT-IT Refugee Systems & Applications, RG-Registration SoPs Design/Implementation, TR-Training – Virtual and face to face
Information Technology – Other, Mathematics – Other, Social Sciences – Other, Statistics – Other
Accountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Teamwork & collaboration, Technological awareness
UNHCR Salary Calculator
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance