Job title: Protection Assistant – GBV (3 Positions)
Reporting to: Protection Team Leader
Technical Line Manager: Protection Manager
Location: 2 in Rhino Camp and 1 in Imvepi
Overall purpose of the role:
The purpose of this position is to provide day-to-day case management, participate in GBV prevention, and any other related activities in Imvepi Base Camp, under the supervision of Protection Team Leader.
The Protection Assistant – GBV, with the supervision of the Protection-Officer/Team Leader GBV, undertakes all GBV prevention and response related activities that may include among others; training, awareness raising, forums with opinion leaders and Focus group discussions. He /she works and liaises closely with GBV Officer, on documentation of program activities as per the Donor requirements.
Key Duties and Resposibilities:
- Responsible to develop/strengthen relationships with agencies at the field level in close cooperation with the Protection officer-GBV and the Protection Team Leader
- Under the supervision of the Protection Officer, responsible for representing DRC in relevant field based thematic meetings with stakeholders and otherwise as needed.
- Actively coordinate with the field staff of other DRC sectors and other organizations at Zonel level.
- Actively participate in all regular sector meetings and in-house coordination meetings
- Maintain and strengthen existing networks through other service providers at the zonel level, to ensure that survivors receive quality services and support within the SGBV referral system.
- Work in close collaboration with the response team to ensure ongoing needs of at-risk groups, women and girls are being met in the prevention related activities like, in Women and girl’s centers.
- Strengthen existing referral systems and networks of psycho social service providers.
- In collaboration with other partners, design prevention activities/interventions within the refugee and host community.
- Under the supervision of the Protection Officer, participate in conducting trainings for community, partners on relevant organizational development areas and support peer learning between DRC and other partner agencies.
Project development, implementation and reporting
- Effectively implement day-to-day activities according to planning and technical standards.
- Under the supervision of the SGBV officer, contribute to the writing of concept papers and proposal development in this thematic area
- Support in conducting SGBV-focused assessment and ongoing risk analysis in order to design adequate projects
- Contribute to the identification of any gaps with a view of generating ideas for future projects in this thematic area.
- Under the supervision of the Protection Officer- GBV, Provide technical assistance and guidance to mainstream protection GBV prevention and response to all community based structures
- Under the supervision of Protection Team Leader, ensure that all the IEC approaches and tools are developed in synergy with the other DRC’s initiatives at the program level
- Contribute to daily quality implementation, monitoring and evaluation of community mobilization related projects in Imvepi refugee settlement.
- Make sure that all the designed interventions adhere to protection standards and principles as well as DRC guidelines and accountability standards
- Contribute to the development of advocacy points based on assessment of situation and risks
- Facilitate formation of support groups to enhance community engagement & ownership on GBV Prevention work.
- Identify and strengthen Community structures through engaging community leaders, Camp Management and other stakeholders to ensure that the survivors receive adequate support at the community level.
- Any other tasks as may be assigned from time-to-time by the supervisors
Staff development and management
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership in this thematic area for DRC outreach workers and community-based mechanisms in Imvepi operational area.
- Develop performance measurements, targets and appraise Mentors for Women and girl’s Centers.
- Uphold DRC’s code of conduct and principles of accountability
- Proactively contribute to quality and timely drafting of weekly, monthly and quarterly reports.
Logistics / finance
- Plan and coordinate logistics proactively for movement to and from the different villages
- Support the SGBV officer to monitor financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-ups.
- Follow-up all DRC’s procedures for Security, Finance, Logistics, HR and Administration.
- Responsible for complying with donor’s and internal DRC reporting, accountability policy and procedures
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Contribute to the daily quality implementation, monitoring and evaluation of projects and interventions in Imvepi Refugee settlement.
- Identify, document and disseminate relevant project success, challenges and follow up on implementation of project’s action points
- Assist in participatory needs/vulnerability and capacity assessments of affected communities
- Participate in project evaluations and assist in the analysis of results.
- On request, perform any other additional duties assigned by the supervisors in order to allow the organization to function optimally.
- Adhere to DRC’s code of conduct
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience working with vulnerable communities, basic needs and protection programming experience, and/or advocacy programs.
- Professional training in Gender Based Violence is an added advantage.
- Basic counselling skills and case management.
- Experience in protection interventions in line with Refugees operation with wide Knowledge in SASA methodology and male engagement.
- Experience of working with UN or Non‐Governmental organizations.
- Proficiency in English (written and spoken) is essential.
- Good communication skills and ability to conduct training and awareness
- Computer skills.
- Good self-organization and basic management skills.
- Familiarity with Monitoring & Evaluation for UN-funded projects desired.
- Familiarity with ProGres V4 and GBVIMS.
- Riding license is a strong added advantage
- A University degree in Social Sciences, Social Works and Social Administration, Community Development, Guidance and Counseling or other relevant fields.
- Professional training in GBV is strong added advantage
- Excellent Communication skills in English required.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies. Applications close on 30th January 2024.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels in light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunity: DRC is an equal opportunity employer, we value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethinic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.