Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations in Bonn is home to 26 UN organizations, agencies, and convention secretariats, in their entirety referred to as UN Bonn. These UN entities have a personnel complement of about 1000 people in total. All these UN entities are co-located on the UN Campus in the former parliamentary district of Bonn at the Rhine River. The high-quality premises is provided by the Government of Germany.
The Common Services Section (CSS) at UN Bonn is responsible for the joint management of the premises space, central ICT infrastructures, and central services such as safety and security, mail and delivery logistics, system-wide surveys and host country liaison also dedicated conference facilities are provided to the organizations on a common basis. CSS is hosted organizationally and administratively under the framework of the United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme while being funded by all UN agencies in Bonn.
The Logistics Clerk provides support to the Common Services Unit, specifically in operating the common mail office and the UNBonn merchandise shop. He/She carries out general logistical, organisational and administrative support for the delivery of common services at UN Bonn, in close collaboration with other team members of this CSS service areas.
As needed, he/she also engages in the provision of logistical and administrative support to the delivery of conferences and meetings.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide operational and logistical support to the common mail office, ensuring full compliance with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Provide operational, hands-on and logistical support to UN organisations during internal logistical projects, such as office moves.
- Provide administrative and logistical support to the day-to-day operation of the UN Bonn merchandise shop.
- Provide operational, hands-on and logistical services to the common meeting and conference team.
- Provide organisational and logistical support to the operation of building facilities on the UN premises.
- Engage in temporary support of work delivery of other CSS work areas during times of high demand.
- The incumbent performs other duties within their functional profile as deemed necessary for the efficient functioning of the Office and the Organization
The incumbent will be under the supervision and guidance of the Campus Operations Associate, and will work inclose collaboration with the different teams in CSS and other UN agencies staff to ensure consistent service delivery.
- Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility
- Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination
- Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner
- Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion
- Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Customer Satisfaction/Client Management
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs.
- Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy.
- Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests.
- Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns.
Documents and records management
- Overall document (hard or electronic) management; registry and retention policy including storing and archiving
UN travel documents
- Knowledge of regulatory frameworks and processes related to UN travel documents; ability to facilitate the insurance of UN travel documents for UNDP and UN agencies; processing of visas, and ensure oversight and endorsement
Management of shipments
- Knowledge of regulatory frameworks and processes related to management of shipments, including contracting of shipments for staff members who travel on initial appointment, reassignment and repatriation
Events management (including retreats, trainings and meetings)
- Ability to manage events, including venue identification, accommodation, logistics, catering, transportation, and cash disbursements, etc.
- Knowledge of policy & procedures on PP&E; ability to prepare financial statements on PP&E; maintain Asset Management Module in ERP, Asset Dashboard; develop supporting tools for assets certification and further enhancements for AM module; design and run training programs, etc. on assets management and assets recording; run AP-AM interface; perform AP-AM-GL reconciliation; perform analytical review of AM reports and asset information to ensure completeness and accuracy of asset information
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of secondary education.
- Certifications in Administration is desirable.
- A minimum of four (4) years (with high school diploma) or 1 year (with bachelor’s degree) of relevant work experience in administration.
- Relevant experience in a UN or other international public services working environment is an asset.
- Good knowledge of logistical and operational procedures, preferably in an international working environment.
- Good understanding of mail and delivery procedures.
- Experience in the use of computers, office software packages (MS Word, Excel, Outlook etc.) and web-based management systems such as ERP.
- Bookkeeping knowledge.
- Capability to work in a physically challenging environment.
- Readiness and capability to operate an electrical fork lift.
- Fluency in English, written and oral.
- Working German language skills is desirable.
- Valid driving licence (class B)
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted;
- The successful candidate will hold a UNDP personnel service agreement.
- This post is for local recruitment only. It is open to citizens of the European Union (EU) member states or holders of residence and unlimited work permits for Germany.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.