Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Funded by the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety of Germany and implemented by UNDP in partnership with the consortium led by Guidehouse Germany GmbH, COOL UP project’s main goal is to increase sustainable cooling technologies in different cooling segments of the building sector (AC in residential and RAC in commercial buildings) in the MENA countries of Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, and Türkiye; tackle the growing cooling demand while mitigating its adverse impacts on the ozone layer and the climate; promote accelerated technological change and early implementation of the Kigali Amendment to the Montreal Protocol and Paris Agreement in Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, and Türkiye, and is based on four pillars: reducing cooling demand, phasing-down hydrofluorocarbons, replacing and recycling inefficient equipment and refrigerants, and training and awareness raising. In the context of MENA region with low market penetration of sustainable cooling technologies, the development of these technologies is influenced by the regulatory and market boundary conditions. These conditions can be favored towards sustainable solutions by market pull instruments (such as policy instruments, financial schemes) and technology push instruments (such as showcasing new technologies in markets where they have particular advantage) in order to increase demand for sustainable cooling products. Therefore, the COOL UP project aims to apply a combination of activities that utilizes policy instruments, financial schemes and technology push mechanisms, and further supports market transformation with awareness raising and technical trainings. The program aims to create catalytic change in the refrigeration and air conditioning sector and ultimately upscale the deployment of sustainable cooling technologies in the market.
In the view of the above, UNDP plans to mobilize one (1) personnel as Project Associate for the planning, organization and efficient and timely implementation of Programme activities laid out in the Project Document and Work Plan if the conditions are suitable for hiring.
Duties and Responsibilities
The overall duty of the Project Associate is to ensure project activities are administered in a timely and efficient manner in line with UNDP rules and procedures and work in cooperation with National Coordinator, and Project Specialist at UNDP MPU/Chemicals in fulfilling their duties and tasks in terms of smooth implementation of project activities, assisting both Türkiye and regional component of the COOL UP project. The Project Associate will have the following responsibilities:
Support the project team to ensure effective project planning and implementation:
- Planning and organizing the implementation of project activities according to work plan (Annual Work Plan) and project budget;
- Providing general administrative and logistical support to the project management for conducting project activities;
- Monitoring project timeline and performance of contractors (consultants and companies) and making necessary amendments;
- Organizing and coordinating project meetings, reviews and site visits;
- Supporting project experts during implementation and monitoring of site-based joint activities with local stakeholders;
- Preparing inputs to the reports and compile project reports according to the project document (including financial reporting when required);
- Drafting contracts and terms of references;
- Preparing and circulating minutes of the virtual/physical meetings, organizing relevant project files to document discussions, decisions, and key takeaways from all project-related meetings;
- Supporting sound financial management of the Project (including financial reporting) in close cooperation and collaboration with the National Coordinator, Projects Implementation Administrator, MPU/Chemicals Project Specialist and/or the UNDP staff designated for financial/administrative issues;
- Supporting preparation and conducting of procurement related procedures in close cooperation with National Coordinator, MPU/Chemicals Project Specialist and/or the UNDP staff designated for the procurement.
Support partnerships and resource mobilization:
- Coordinating implementation with project partners, ensuring effective information flow;
- Supporting efficient and effective implementation of the project activities and liaise between Ministries and other consortium/project partners, develops, and maintains relationships with partners, beneficiaries and other stakeholders and plans;
- Supporting assurance of the work of consultants and contractors ensuring high quality and timeliness of outputs;
- Implementing project-specific communications plans by preparing materials and inputs for the website and organizing events.
Provide support to the effective monitoring, evaluation, and reporting on progress of project implementation:
- Drafting correspondences, notes, briefs and other types of documents when required;
- Providing inputs to detailed implementation plans;
- Assisting in formulation of budgets;
- Assisting in periodic revision of Annual Work Plans and procurement plans in cooperation with National Coordinator, Projects Implementation Administrator and MPU/Chemicals Project Specialist;
- Filing and archiving all relevant correspondence and project related documents such as: tender dossiers, proposals, technical reports, evaluation reports etc.;
- Preparing inputs to QUANTUM and UNALL project management tools and relevant modules;
- Preparing inputs to ToRs, technical specifications, RFP/RFQ, bills of quantities;
- Assisting in evaluation of bid and offers, compile and prepare documentation (bid opening report, evaluation and selection reports);
- Assuming the assigned finance and procurement-related QUANTUM roles.
Support knowledge building, knowledge sharing and capacity building relevant to the assigned project:
- Assisting in selection of project experts and consultants and participating in selection process if required;
- Preparing inputs to formulation of Annual Work Plans, planning and sequencing of activities;
- Organizing project events (meetings, steering committees, workshops, visibility events, seminars and training).
The incumbent performs other duties within their functional profile as deemed necessary for the efficient functioning of the Office and the Organization.
The Project Associate will report to the National Coordinator and work under direct guidance and coordination of Climate Change and Environment Portfolio Manager at UNDP Türkiye CO and MPU/Chemicals Project Specialist at UNDP HQ level. UNDP National Coordinator will directly supervise the NPSA. NPSA will be directly responsible to, reporting to, seeking approval/acceptance of output from the UNDP National Coordinator.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline.
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements.
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback.
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible.
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident.
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships.
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Business Direction and Strategy – Strategic Thinking
- Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward look like for UNDP
Business Direction and Strategy – System Thinking
- Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system
Business Management – Monitoring
- Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results
Finance – Budget Management
- Ability to support budgetary aspects of work planning process, drawing and management of team budgets
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in political/administrative sciences, or environmental sciences, or any other related field will be given due consideration, but it is not a requirement.
- Minimum 7 years (with Secondary education) or 4 years (with Bachelor’s degree) of relevant working experience.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- At least 2 years of experience working with international institutions/organizations.
- Microsoft Office, Windows-based applications, integrated web-based management systems, spreadsheets and databases.
- Project coordination experience in Türkiye is an asset.
- At least 1 year of project experience in collaboration with governmental organizations is an asset.
- Master’s degree in political/administrative sciences or environmental sciences or any other related field is an asset.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.