Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
During 2024 – 2027, UNDP and UNICEF will jointly implement the Project “Advancing Quality Education and Lifelong Learning Opportunities for All”, funded by the European Union.
The overall objective of the joint project Advancing Quality Education and Lifelong Learning Opportunities for All is to contribute to human capital development in the Republic of Moldova, improving quality and relevance of education and lifelong learning opportunities for all, for better matching the labor market demands. To achieve this, the Program will target the following specific objectives:
- Strengthen institutions and system for teacher and school leaders’ professional development and support the implementation of education policies to enhance quality of teaching and learning (Development Strategy “Education 2030”.
- Improve equitable access for all children to quality education, promoting the development of an inclusive, digital, and resilient education system.
- Upgrade learning environments through renovation of selected school infrastructures and facilitate the development of the 21st century skills, contributing to better education opportunities for pupils/students and improved efficiency of the school network.
Under this joint Project, UNDP will support professional development of teachers, promote life-long learning opportunities for adults, and be responsible for implementing interventions under the Specific Objective number 3 mentioned above, that aims at increasing quality, relevance, and efficiency of learning. More specifically, it will support Ministry of Education and Research in enhancing the learning environments and improving the teaching-learning conditions by setting up modern learning spaces, improvement of school infrastructure of 10 model/aspirational schools. It will also aim at redesigning existing STEEAM learning spaces to facilitate better learning, provision of modern technologies and teaching-learning resources and support the roadmaps for continuous development of digital learning space. The activities will ease the accessibility of students from remote areas to the model/ aspirational schools through access to transportation means and development of an integrated national system for school bus management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Cluster Lead, the incumbent provides effective and efficient coordination of the Advancing Quality Education and Lifelong Learning Opportunities for All Program, through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management and monitoring of project activities.
The Project Manager applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations, as follows:
Ensuring effective content and operational management of the project:
- Oversee day-to-day operations and implementation of project activities;
- Exercise close monitoring of project activities and produce monitoring reports;
- Ensure the timely and efficient delivery of Project outputs and products, as per the Project Document, leading to the achievement of expected results;
- Develop Work Plan, periodic narrative progress and final reports and expenditures status reports and submit to the supervisor;
- Ensure the implementation of the activities under the Project work plan according to indicators for achieving planned results, as well as the overall management of the Project in line with UNDP rules, regulations and procedures;
- Support UNDP CO in effectively managing human resources pertaining to the Project, including staff, consultants and short-term experts; conduct periodic performance appraisals; build, lead and motivate a solid team of professionals;
- Support the efficient management of the Project financial resources, including budgeting and budget revisions, as well as expenditure tracking and reporting;
- Continuously record and maintain Project issues and risks and suggest mitigation measures.
- Lead and coordinate the organization of meetings, workshops, conferences, trainings, study visits and related activities relevant to the implementation of the Project;
- Maintain a continuous effective dialogue with the key stakeholders, central and local government authorities, other UN agencies and actors active in the sector, CSOs, partner organizations, international and national experts in the areas of the Project intervention in view of identifying synergies and avoiding overlapping of assistance;
- Maintain a close collaboration with other related UNDP programmes to ensure synergies and complementarities;
- Ensure high quality information and visibility of the programme activities to the mass media and stakeholders and support mechanisms for exchange of information, experience and lessons learned at the local, national, and as required at international levels;
- Perform any other duties connected directly with the implementation and evaluation of the Project as required.
Knowledge Management and Sharing:
- Assist in coordinating the exchange of information internally and between relevant project stakeholders;
- Ensure timely and proper documentation of the programme implementation process and products produced in accordance with the UNDP guides;
- Capture and disseminate good practices locally, nationally and as required internationally;
- Provide required substantive and administrative support in organizing / conducting variety of programme activities and events.
- The incumbent performs other duties within their functional profile as deemed necessary for the efficient functioning of the Office and the Organization
The key results have a direct impact on the overall successful achievement of the Advancing Quality Education and Lifelong Learning Opportunities for All Project. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision-making of the Project Steering Committee, the Beneficiary and UNDP management.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
People Management Competencies
UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies
- Strategic thinking
- Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks and opportunities; linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions
- Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward look like for UNDP
- System thinking
- Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system
- Human-Centered Design
- Ability to develop solutions to problems by involving the human perspective in all steps of the problem-solving process
- Project Management
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and control resources, procedures, and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Digital learning and development
- Knowledge of digital learning methods and ability to design and develop digital learning programmes.
- Digital transformation design
- Practical and strategic skills in digital transformation for governments and organizations
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise, and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media, and other appropriate channels
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in social sciences, development studies, public policy, education/pedagogy, international relations, employment, or related areas is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in the areas mentioned above in combination with additional two years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of Master`s degree.
- Minimum 5 years (with Master’s degree) or 7 years (with Bachelor’s degree) of progressive working experience in the design, management and implementation of programmes, and/or working experience in a relevant position to this post.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as fundamental concepts of related disciplines.
- Progressively responsible experience is required at the national or international level in areas pertinent to the assignment – education, social science, employment, public policy is an asset.
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor/development organization, governmental institutions, UN Agencies, NGO is a very strong advantage.
- Experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects, and leading and managing projects is an asset.
- Experience in managing development projects in partnership with public entities and/or development organization is an asset.
- Experience in working, liaising, and collaborating with UN agencies, governments, NGOs, civil society organizations, and public international organizations.
- Knowledge and experience of capacity building theory and capacity building/assessment methodologies.
- Additional training and certification in project management would be an advantage.
- Fluency in English and Romanian (written and spoken) is required.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Russian, Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language is an asset.
The Project Manager will work under the supervision of the Inclusive Growth Cluster Lead and will ensure the provision of development services and products commensurate with the scope of the Project and assigned area of responsibility of the highest quality and standards to national and local counterparts and clients through applying HRBA and GE approaches. The Project Manager will coordinate the project team, consisting of up to 4 persons, as envisaged in project organizational chart.
The Project Manager will work in close cooperation with the team in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.