Armed Violence Reduction Specialist – Ethiopia
Location: Addis-Abeba, Addis-Abeba, ET
Starting date: 11/02/2024
Duration of the mission: 4 months
Closing date for applications:
Posting reference: ET-GLV-01-24-8317
Starting date: February 2024 / As soon as possible
Duration of contract: 4 months – potentially renewable
Closing date for applications: 8th February 2024
Handicap International/Humanity & Inclusion (HI) is an independent and impartial international solidarity organization, which intervenes in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflicts and disasters. Working alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, it acts and speaks out to meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights. More info: www.hi.org
At Handicap International-Humanity & Inclusion, we truly believe in the importance of inclusion and diversity within our organisation. This is why we are engaged to a disability policy to encourage the inclusion and integration of people with disabilities.
Please indicate if you require any special accommodation, even at the first interview.
HI has been operating in Ethiopia since 1986, with the provision of rehabilitation services for refugees in the Somali region. HI extended its activities in 1997 by launching a Explosive Ordnance Risk Education project to support the repatriation of Somali refugees living in Ethiopia. HI also diversified its operations to improve quality of life for vulnerable persons/people with disabilities and to respond to emergency situations.
Over the years, HI has worked in the following areas: Inclusive Education, HIV/AIDS prevention, Livelihoods, Disaster Risk Reduction, Child Protection, Disability Mainstreaming, Gender Based Violence, Empowerment of DPOs, Food Security, Humanitarian Assistance for people with disabilities and children with disabilities in Refugee camps and IDPs through physical rehabilitation and WASH interventions. Recently, HI has also included MHPSS and Protection-related activities as well as inclusive governance.
Under the responsibility of the Programme Director, the Armed Violence Reduction (AVR) Specialist contributes to the implementation of Humanity & Inclusion’s mandate and operational strategy in Ethiopia. She/he ensures optimal quality and impact of the AVR projects implemented in the country, through a delegation system with appropriate control mechanisms.
Mission 1. Strategy
• Contribute to the AVR pillar of HI’s StratOp for Ethiopia,
• Lead the definition, monitoring and update of the AVR sectoral strategy for HI Ethiopia and support its dissemination and implementation by the operational teams,
• Ensure the assessment of needs, risks and conflict sensitivity in relation to the AVR strategy and operational activities, and make recommendations,
• Monitor for contextual changes requiring strategic adaptations.
Mission 2. Technical Support
• Ensures technical support to projects in line with the global technical frameworks and standards in Armed Violence reduction,
• Ensure technical learning from projects,
• Ensure the control & monitoring of the technical quality and the relevance of HI’s activities in the programmes under AVR activities,
• Contributes to the Technical Divisions professional channel animation,
• Oversee the development and update of SOPs, tools and guidance materials on EORE, VA, community engagement and synergies with land release (comprehensive approach).
Mission 3. Research, Analysis and Learning
• Conduct regular analysis of project data and external secondary data on AVR needs and interventions in close collaboration with the Chief of Operations, MEAL team and Project Managers,
• Contribute to the development of research and innovation projects in Ethiopia, including KABP surveys, needs assessments and impact studies
• Suggest and steer technical innovation projects
• Identify the priorities of Research and Studies and steer R&S,
• Contribute to the definition and documentation of lessons learned, case studies, stories.
Mission 4. Coordination and Representation
• Contribute to the external prestige and influence of HI’s expertise in the AVR sector in Ethiopia and internationally,
• Represent the technical expertise of HI throughout the local relevant networks,
• Contribute to advocacy on specific themes in line with AVR advocacy priorities,
• Contribute to communication messages locally in line with the global communication priorities,
• Liaise with national mine action authorities and other line ministries and participate in different forums to advocate for policy change.
Mission 5. Business Development
• Actively contribute to the technicalities of development of projects in the AVR sector,
• Ensure the development of major opportunities or new projects in the region under his sectorial scope.
Mission 6. Reporting
• Review and ensure technical quality of any report ( Donors and ministries) related to AVR,
• Ensure that lessons learnt and best practices in your sector of activities are documented and shared with the technical unit and headquarters.
Mission 7. Permissions and Certification
• Ensure relevant permissions are obtained by responsibles for AVR activities, including certification / accreditation.
Mission 8. Emergency Preparedness and Response
• Contribute to the support or implementation of emergency preparedness actions of the programme and, during an emergency, adapts her/his working modality to contribute to an effective HI humanitarian response.
Education and experience
• Master in Social Science, International Relations, Community Development or relevant field,
• Minimum of seven years of experience in providing technical support and strategic guidance in minimum two to three pillars of the AVR Programming (EORE/CPP, VA, land release, conflict transformation) and advocacy,
• Proven experience in strengthening the capacities of National Mine Action authorities or national operators and coordination with Mine Action operators/stakeholders.
Skills and abilities
• Know the international frameworks for AVR (Humanitarian Mine Action, Risk Education, SALW, Conflict Transformation, Victim Assistance specific efforts),
• Know how strategic planning for victim assistance, RE, land release works,
• Solid understanding of the technical issues of AVR, the networks of actors and professionals involved, and the International Mine Action Standards,
• Personifies and promotes the humanitarian principles and HI’s values and principles to the highest degree.
At HI, the conditions offered are up to your commitment and adapted to the context of your mission. https://hi.org/en/join-the-team
• 4 months International contract starting from February 2024 – potentially renewable
• The international contract provides social cover adapted to your situation:
• Unemployment insurance benefits for EU nationals
• Pension scheme
• Medical coverage with 50% of employee contribution
• Repatriation insurance paid by HI
• Salary from 2757€ gross/month upon experience
• Perdiem: 644.29€ net/month – paid in the field
• Paid leaves: 25 days per year
• R&R: according to the level of the mission Level 1: 1 day per month
• Housing: Collective taken in charge by HI
If you are resident in the country: local package