Hardship Level (not applicable for home-based)
E (most hardship)
Family Type (not applicable for home-based)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
February 6, 2024
Terms of Reference
1. Reliability : He/She must be dependable and able to adhere to schedules. Timely and accurate delivery of messages or packages ,
2. Physical fitness :He/She may need to be physically fit and capable of handling packages or running errands that involve physical activity.
3. Familiarity with Local area : He/She must be familiar with the local area, including streets, neighborhoods, and traffic patterns for efficient and timely deliveries.
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Messenger Clerk provides clerical and administrative assistance to the immediate supervisor and/or the Office as a whole. The incumbent is normally supervised by the Admin Officer or Associate. S/he receives regular guidance and instructions from the supervisor on procedural aspects of the work. As per specific instructions, the incumbent may require liaising with other internal or external entities, to ensure effective delivery of services and achievement of objectives
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– UNHCR Office has sufficient clerical support thus better able to meet its objectives.
– Collect and deliver mail, pouches and other communications from and to the post office, government agencies and other institutions.
– Sort, deliver and pick up mail from various offices on the premises at regular intervals. Keep records as required.
– Pack material received for dispatch, affix labels, insert material in envelopes and frank outgoing mail.
– Operate photocopying and duplicating machines.
– Sort and prioritize all incoming correspondence, reports, etc. and direct to other responsible staff members where necessary.
– Provide general clerical support to visiting staff members.
– Utilize office equipment and computer as required.
– Perform other related duties as required.
– Prioritise tasks in consultation with the supervisor.
– Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
– Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G2 – Completion of Primary Education; or High School Diploma or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance