Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Temporary > Extension
H (no hardship)
Residential location (if applicable)
Target Start Date
Target End Date
Job Posting End Date
January 29, 2024
Standard Job Description
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Payroll Associate reports to a Payroll supervisor, and s/he is responsible for providing quality Global Payroll services in a timely manner. The incumbent works independently on regular assignments with an oversight from the supervisor, who provides general guidance and work plans for identifying work priorities and appropriate approaches.
The Payroll Associate maintains regular contact on a working level on routine issues with other Units, Sections, Field Offices, UN agencies and third parties. The incumbent is in charge of the payroll data of staff members at different levels, based on alpha distribution among other Payroll Associates, to answer queries and provide information as necessary and appropriate.
The confidentiality of all personnel and payroll matters and the need to deal with clients in a courteous and efficient manner are salient features of this position.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Check the accuracy and validity of input calculations/coding to ensure that such entries are in line with staff and financial rules and/or other administrative issuance.
– Verify and update salary scales, allowances and other payroll master data, banking details of each staff member in the Global Payroll system.
– Maintain statistical reports and queries; check electronic data output and take corrective measures in case errors are identified. These involve payroll reports, earnings and deduction registers, pay slips, and payment details.
– Prepare Account Payable Vouchers (AP Voucher) to staff members for out-of-cycle payments and to third parties.
– Issue separation notifications for the UNJSPF in a timely manner.
– Upon verification of information/documentations in relation to separation of a staff member, calculate the separation entitlements that may be due to a staff member or recover any outstanding debts owed to the Organization by the staff member.
– Assist in the annual reconciliation of the Pension Fund Ledger account; analyse pension reports received from the UNJSPF and act accordingly.
– Respond to queries from staff members on payroll related matters.
– Run and verify reports, prepare calculations, make/amend data entries, submit memoranda/attestations/journal & payment vouchers to the supervisor for approval.
– Stay abreast of changes in human resources policies as they relate to benefits and allowances.
– Ensure proper electronic filing.
– Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
– Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G6 – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Good knowledge in payroll procedures, processes and exposure to provision of support services in an International Organization.
Good communicator with strong interpersonal skills to deal with S/M of different cultural and educational backgrounds.
Experience in UNHCR field operations. Good knowledge in UN Financial rules, pass UN Finance examination.
*IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
Extending the TA or Andrea FIGUEROA MORALES from 01/04/204 to 31/12/2024 against the HRSS ABOD, cc 91312.
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance
CO-Cross-cultural communication, IT-Computer Literacy, IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software
Accounting – Other, Business Administration – Other, Economics – Other, Finance – Other, Office Management – Other
UNHCR Salary Calculator