Hardship Level (not applicable for home-based)
A (least hardship)
Family Type (not applicable for home-based)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
February 3, 2024
Terms of Reference
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Representation in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Country Office Sarajevo, is currently looking for a talented and motivated candidate, with an outstanding interest in human rights and refugee law and policies, to perform as a Communications intern in the Communications Unit.
UNHCR started its operations in Bosnia and Herzegovina during the war, with one of the biggest relief operations ever organized. Since 1992, UNHCR has been the leading agency with regard to humanitarian assistance and protection of displaced persons in BiH. Today, UNHCR continues to support the implementation of Annex VII of the Dayton Peace Agreement which aims to enable access to their rights for internally displaced people and returnees. UNHCR also supports the rights of asylum-seekers and refugees and assists the authorities in developing a functional asylum system in Bosnia and Herzegovina, in line with international standards. Additionally, the Office assists the authorities to address statelessness issues and works to prevent, identify and reduce statelessness in BiH.
2. Description of activities
The Communications Intern will work in the Communication Unit of UNHCR Representation in BiH, duty station Sarajevo. In particular, she/he will contribute to the following tasks in two major areas of work:
– Help with the content development for websites for UNHCR and for the UN Country Team and social media;
– Using WordPress and other CMS, support in updating online platforms and websites;
– Assist in regular updates of social media;
– As part of the team, the incumbent will assist in maintaining and expanding social media accounts of UNHCR BiH; through the production and posting of a diverse range of social media products, and keeping track of social media analytics;
– Support design and production of visual communications materials, including multi-media assets, photos, brochures, according to corporate branding guidelines;
– Provide support to UNHCR communications team with helping draft information materials and knowledge products for public outreach; ensure proper storage and issuance of the information products and promo materials;
– Assist in preparation and organization of events and campaigns, including providing logistical support as well as PR support in promoting events;
– Support Communications Unit and the UN Communication Working Group in implementation of joint activities with other UN agencies;
– Assist in developing occasional media monitoring reports;
– Update the communication databases such as database of media contacts, partners and influencers who can be activated to help boost the impact of UNHCR’s communications.
– Organize and update the communications filing system.
– Any other related tasks that may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
– Provide administrative and logistical support to the UNHCR Communication Unit and to the UN Communication Group, including with assisting the organization of events, meetings, visits and taking meeting notes;
– Provide occasional translations (English-BHS) when needed;
– Providing occasional support to other units when needed and when agreed with supervisor;
– Perform any other duties as required and as delegated by the direct supervisor.
In order to be considered eligible for an internship, the following criteria must be fulfilled:
– Be a recent graduate (persons who completed their studies within two years of applying for an internship with UNHCR) or be a current student in a graduate/undergraduate school programme from a university or higher education facility accredited by UNESCO;
-Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a field of Communications, Mass Communications, Journalism, Political Sciences, or another relevant field;
– An individual whose father, mother, son, daughter, brother or sister is a staff member of UNHCR, including a Temporary Appointment holder or a member of the Affiliate Workforce, is not eligible for an internship with UNHCR.
4. Time of the engagement
– The internship will be initially granted for a period of an initial two months and could be extended, subject to operational needs, available budget and successful performance, up to a maximum internship’s duration of twelve months;
– The internship is on a part-time basis;
– The starting date of the internship can be immediate.
5. Essential Minimum Qualifications Required
– National of Bosnia and Herzegovina or a holder of a valid residence permit in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
– Good computer literacy (MS Office – Word, Excel, Power Point) and excellent written and oral communication skills;
– Fluency in English and languages in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
– Strong organizational and analytical skills;
– Strong communication skills;
– Autonomy in work, sense of initiative and readiness to work as a team member;
– High level of interest and motivation.
6. Desirable Qualifications
– Interest/experience in Public Relations, organization of events, media relations and similar;
– Experience in websites management using WordPress or other CMS would be an advantage;
– Good understanding and skills in social media;
– Experience in web and graphic design and/or communications is an asset.
– Previous experience in hands-on design works in various formats, proven graphical design skills and previous experience in preparing communication and marketing materials in various formats (Videos, infographics, photo stories, press releases, social media messages etc.) would be highly regarded.
– Experience in creating and managing multimedia content for social media and website, including video and photo-editing skills and access to special software: Adobe Photoshop; Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects or other editing platforms is a strong asset.
– Interest in refugee and asylum-related issues;
– Familiarity with UN and UNHCR work and mandates.
With the guidance of the UNHCR BiH Assoc. Communications Officer, work plans are to be discussed and agreed once the internship begins.
8. Administrative Note
– UNHCR provides a Food and Local Transportation Allowance to those interns who do not receive financial support from an outside party (non-sponsored interns);
– The successful candidate will be based with the team in CO Sarajevo, UNHCR Bosnia and Herzegovina
– Doctor’s certificate attesting to interns’ good health must be submitted to UNHCR prior to the start date of the internship;
– Interns are fully responsible for arranging their own medical insurance covering the full internship period. Copy of proof of a valid medical insurance covering the period of the internship must be provided to UNHCR.
9. Subsequent Employment by UNHCR
An internship with UNHCR does not create any expectation or entitlement to employment with UNHCR at the conclusion of the internship.
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance