Job Opening ID: 226398
Job Network : Logistics, Transportation and Supply Chain
Job Family : Procurement
Category and Level : Professional and Higher Categories, P-3
Duty Station : MONTREAL
Department/Office : International Civil Aviation Organization
Date Posted : Jan 22, 2024
Deadline : Feb 22, 2024
Org. Setting and Reporting
The Procurement Section is responsible for supporting the procurement requirements of the Technical Cooperation/Assistance Programme in the Capacity Development and Implementation Bureau (CDI), ICAO Headquarters, Regional Offices and other United Nations Organizations, in accordance with ICAO’s Procurement Code and in the best interests of the Organization and Member States. The Section is responsible for procurement planning, conducting solicitation and evaluation exercises, preparing and negotiating contracts, preparing internal reports, liaising with the Field Operations Section (FOS) to meet the procurement requirements of the Member States and with the allotment holders for ICAO Headquarters and the Regional Offices.
Under the guidance of Chief, Procurement Section (C/PRO), the incumbent of the position will assist in the management of procurement projects for ICAO Headquarters and Regional Offices essentially, and undertake some special projects aiming to improve ICAO procurement process in line with UN principles and procurement best practices. The post reports directly to the Chief Procurement Section, but it is expected that the incumbent will be able to work independently on assigned tasks.
Function 1 (incl. Expected results)
Plans, develops, manages, conducts and supervises procurement activities required for ICAO Headquarters (HQs) and Regional Offices, achieving results such as:
• Serve as the procurement focal point with responsibility for the procurement of diverse equipment and services related to ICAO Headquarters and Regional Offices requirements.
• Plan and provide specialized advice and supervising the work of procurement staff to ensure the timely execution of procurement requests and the correct application of administrative policies, principles, procedures and rules governing ICAO procurement.
• Provide specialized advice to requisitioning units and allotment holders and to C/PRO on the full range of procurement issues of ICAO, as well as providing support and guidance to ICAO staff and business owners at all stages of the procurement cycle.
• Establish and maintain a work program and schedule for ongoing and newly-planned procurement, using innovative program management tools.
• Pro-actively interact with the allotment holder at all phases of procurement to ensure the timely, efficient and effective execution of procurement requests.
• Provide training and guidance to newly recruited staff, within the Section and within ICAO, on matters related to ICAO procurement process.
Function 2 (incl. Expected results)
Plans procurement actions, achieving results such as:
• Assist allotment holders to prepare individual procurement plans and propose strategy for its implementation.
• Provide guidance to allotment holders in preparing terms of reference/technical specifications for procurements for Headquarters and Regional Office requirements and reviewing of the same to ensure they are complete and generic and will allow a fair, transparent and competitive procurement process.
• Review, assign and prioritize procurement requests amongst the procurement staff in consultation with H/PRU.
• Evaluate procurement requests and monitor the potential for the consolidation of procurement requirements.
• Conduct market research to keep abreast of market developments, research and analyze statistical data and market reports, search for potential supply sources to extend suppliers data base.
• Identify and recommend alternative sources of procurement or product substitution to ensure a competitive and cost effective procurement process.
Function 3 (incl. Expected results)
Manages solicitation process, achieving results such as:
• Prepare/oversee the preparation and distribution of Sealed Tenders (requests for proposal, invitation to bid) and Requests for Quotations.
• Support the tender process and provide guidance to suppliers in order to maximize the number and quality of offers and to promote accountability of the solicitation process.
• Review the formal evaluation of the offers received before submission to the allotment holder for technical evaluation.
• Review the technical evaluation provided by the allotment holders, prepare/oversee preparation and review the commercial evaluation and the vetting of the recommended supplier and consolidate the evaluation report for C/PRO approval.
• Review the submission to Contracts Board, liaise with Contracts Board members in order to address any of their concerns/queries during the approval process.
Function 4 (incl. Expected results)
Manages procurement purchase orders, achieving results such as:
• Establishes approaches for negotiations and conduct or coordinate all phases of negotiations with all concerned parties, including the negotiation of disputes arising from purchase orders, in coordination with the Contract Unit.
• Prepare/review all purchase orders prepared by the procurement staff.
• Participate with the Contracts Officer at contract negotiation meetings, as required.
Function 5 (incl. Expected results)
Analyzes procurement records, achieving results such as:
• Analyze procurement patterns, monitor use of direct purchase orders issued by the allotment holders at HQs and ROs and propose establishment of Long Term Agreements or similar to save time and money for the Organization.
• Develop the Annual Procurement Report in collaboration with H/PRU.
• Recommend to H/PRU and C/PRO improvement of procurement procedures and internal controls as required to increase HQs and ROs procurement efficiency.
• Assist in developing a variety of procurement–related documents, policies and procedures, instructions, communications, guidelines, data processing and other systems concerned with the work of the section.
Function 6 (incl. Expected results)
Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Professionalism: Ability to develop and implement strategic procurement plans to meet operational needs. In-depth understanding of legal and financial aspects involved in the preparation of contracts. Strong theoretical background in all phases of international procurement operations and in contracting for a diverse range of goods and services. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style, and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Commitment to Continuous Learning: Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
A first-level university degree, preferably in business administration, public administration, sciences, organizational development, law, or in a related field.
An advanced-level university degree (Master’s degree or academic equivalent) in any of the above-named disciplines, or in a related field.
Job – Specific Qualification
• A minimum of six (6) years of progressively responsible professional experience in high volume procurement operations, including experience in private industry and/or government or international organizations is required.
• At least six (6) years of progressively responsible experience in workload planning and overseeing staff assignments is required.
• Experience in designing and delivering training to various levels of stakeholders is required
• Substantive experience in all phases of international procurement operations and in contracting for a diverse range of goods and services is required.
• Experience in an international public environment dealing with complex procurement activities, preferably in the context of United Nations (UN) policies and standards is required.
• Experience in the procurement of digital transformation initiatives and the automation of business processes is desirable.
• Experience in a civil aviation environment, airport or airline is desirable.
• Background in project/programme management is desirable.
Fluent reading, writing and speaking abilities in English.
A working knowledge of any other language of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish).