IFC – a member of the World Bank Group – is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work with more than 2,000 businesses in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2023, IFC committed a record of more than $40 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
The Economics and Market Research Department (CER) is in the Economics and Private Sector Development Vice Presidency Unit (CED VPU). This new department is a strong hub for the analytical work in support of IFC’s investment and advisory activities and economics research on issues related to private sector development. The department consists of three units:
1. The Private Sector Diagnostics unit is responsible for conducting sector analysis and delivering the newly upgraded and expanded Country Private Sector Diagnostics (CPSD), coordinating IFC inputs to the Country Climate and Development Reports (CCDR), and conducting bespoke sector analysis at the request of IFC Operations.
2. The Economic Research unit is responsible for conducting rigorous economic research that results in a series of IFC flagship reports and academic articles, hosting economic research conferences and forums, and creating databases, surveys, and other data assets.
3. The Macro and Market Risk unit is responsible for conducting country risk assessments, macro scenarios, analysis of market risks, tracking capital flows and capital market developments, creating equity market outlooks, and other macro analysis upon request
IFC is recruiting a Manager to lead the Macro and Market Risk Unit. This unit will include ~15-20 staff and will work closely with IFC Leadership, Operations, and other units in the department. The Manager will be a dynamic and experienced professional with excellent technical and management skills, a proven track record of delivering high-quality macroeconomic and market research, and experience in leading teams that cross institutional boundaries. The position is based in IFC headquarters in Washington, DC, and will report to the Director, CER.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the CER Director, the duties of the Manager include:
• Develop and implement a suite of operationally relevant macro and risk assessment products. Duties in this area include:
o Provide regular independent assessments of macroeconomic and market outlook and risks in IFC client countries for IFC Senior Management;
o Develop and analyze alternative scenarios at the global, regional, and country level to inform IFC Risk models;
o Create and maintain databases, and conduct analyses on international financial and capital flows, exchange rates, modalities and cost of financing for firms in emerging and developing economies. Create scenarios at the request of IFC Operations;
o Lead and contribute to IFC and WBG publications (including join publications with outside institutions) that feature analysis on the topics above.
• Provide intellectual leadership on the macroeconomic and risk monitoring agenda, and oversee the unit’s quality control function. Duties in this area include:
o Collaborate with Regional Economics teams to support macroeconomic assessments in IFC Operations;
o Provide quality control for IFC knowledge products in areas of macro, risk, and financial flows, and actively participate in WBG-wide quality assurance efforts on these topics (e.g., contribute IFC views to country, regional, and global outlooks produced by the World Bank);
o Establish a network of partners across the WBG, IMF, other MDBs, think-tanks, and academia to build productive joint engagements in macro-financial monitoring and research agenda.
• Manage staff and resources. Duties in this area include:
o Build and motivate a high-performing team of financial market analysts, economists, and data scientists.
o Professionally manage the department and its staff to a modern standard and high level of performance, with special attention to diversity objectives.
o Drive and inspire technical excellence within the unit by creating an environment of learning, innovation, and knowledge sharing.
o Deliver the agreed upon work program through cost effective use of resources and ensure timely delivery of high-quality outputs.
In addition to the WBG Managerial competencies, the successful candidate must possess:
• PhD or Masters degree in economics or related field; PhD preferred.
• At least 12 years of experience at successively higher levels of responsibility, demonstrating excellent quantitative and analytical skills in economics and increasing levels of management responsibility.
• Demonstrated substantive experience and publications analyzing macroeconomic, financial, and capital markets developments in emerging and developing economies, as well assessing country risk and carrying out scenario analysis.
• Experience with developing forecasting and macroeconomic models preferred.
• Excellent people management skills and ability to guide staff to excellent business outcomes. Demonstrated ability to effectively recruit, mentor and develop staff.
• Demonstrated teamwork and collaboration skills, including ability to work in a matrix as an integral part of the department and in collaboration with IFC operations and regional counterparts
• High energy, drive, and ability to manage a large portfolio of activities efficiently, proven organizational management skills, strategic thinking, and sound business judgment.
• Proven ability to lead high level discussions with senior management and external stakeholders to inform thinking on important policy, strategy, and operational issues.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to present to external audiences and communicate effectively with high-level stakeholders.
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.