The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through the FAO Strategic Framework by supporting the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agrifood systems, for better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life, leaving no one behind.
The Infrastructure and Facilities Management Service (CSLI) within the Logistics Services Division (CSL) is responsible for the maintenance of the headquarters premises and for providing services to FAO employees. CSLI also assists FAO Decentralized Offices in facilities maintenance, technical projects, infrastructure activities and technically innovative systems to reduce their carbon footprint. Furthermore, it promotes the implementation of the Corporate Environmental Responsibility Strategy within headquarters and Decentralized Offices.
The post is located in the Facilities Management Service (CSLI) at FAO headquarters in Rome, Italy.
The Architect will report to the Facilities Management Officer.
The Consultant/PSA will independently plan and develop FAO architectural renovation projects applying innovative design criteria, responding to high quality standards, best value for money and efficient implementation timelines. He/she will prepare concept architectural and interior design drawings, technical specification, cost estimates related produce shop drawings and technical specifications in English and Italian ready for bid. The consultant will use the FAO drawing and documental standards for architectural and engineering documents in the Building Information Management systems.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Design architectural solutions and project proposals for headquarters and field buildings, applying UN security rules, safety and architectural standards and codes, and sustainability principles;
• Develop concepts and detailed/technical architectural projects, including construction drawings, technical specifications, bills of quantities and cost estimates;
• Develop 3D rendering and visual presentations to support and explain the design proposals;
• Carry out surveys of architectural and structural elements, as well as electrical, HVAC, plumbing and other systems;
• Develop space planning and office space design proposals, focusing on innovation, functionality, ease of maintenance, value for money, ergonomics and sustainability;
• Design specific building safety and upgrading projects according to local building codes.
• Updates Supervisors/Managers periodically on projects status, planning and design.
• Prepares technical specifications, construction drawings (when needed), bills of quantity and cost estimates for bidding packages.
• Represent CSLI when providing technical support to Field projects;
• Liaise with Italian Authorities including the Italian Cultural Heritage Office and the Technical Team of the Ministry of Public Works;
• Represent CSLI when acting as Work Director during the implementation of construction works in headquarters. A certification in Health and Safety in the construction sites is desirable.
• Update headquarters and field architectural plans and technical installations in the Revit database model;
• Ensure adherence to the FAO drawing and documental standards for architectural and engineering documents.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced University degree in Architecture or Architectural (Building/Civil) Engineering.
• A minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience in in the design and construction of complex projects, including previous experience in projects related to office buildings.
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian. (for PSA it can be required only one language)
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Demonstrated competency in modern building techniques applied to office buildings;
• Capacity to deliver cost estimates and time plans for renovation or new construction projects;
• Experience in the integration of energy-saving and environmental-friendly solutions in office building renovation projects;
• Knowledge of European and Italian building codes for fire safety, workplace safety and furniture ergonomics;
• Experience in space planning is desirable;
• Demonstrated experience in the field of landscaping architecture design is considered as an asset;
• Three years use of BIM software (Revit or similar);
• Demonstrated skill in the use of graphic, 3D rendering and presentation software;
• Full proficiency with computer aided design software (CAD) and proven experience with BIM software (Revit or similar).
• Proficiency in the full Microsoft Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Project).
• Previous experiences in the design and implementation of large renovation or new construction projects;
• Previous experience in the design and implementation of projects on complex office premises;
• Demonstrated proficiency in the use of BIM software (Revit) and computer assisted drawing software (AutoCAD);
• Experience in cost estimates using DEI pricelists and experience in supervision of construction works;
• Italian working knowledge is an asset.