Hardship Level (not applicable for home-based)
A (least hardship)
Family Type (not applicable for home-based)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
February 1, 2024
Terms of Reference
Candidates must comply with all eligibility requirements for employment in line with the prevailing legislative prerequisites in the country. Persons interested in applying for this position must be legally present in the country at the time of recruitment.
The United Nations is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. The United Nations recruits and employs staff regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religious, cultural and ethnic backgrounds or disabilities.
Recruitment as a UNHCR staff member and engagement under a UNHCR affiliate scheme or as an intern is subject to proof of vaccination against Covid-19.
Levels of language knowledge:
The Department of Immigration and the Refugee Department under the Office of Prime Minister in Belize require technical support to assist in efforts related to the preparation and implementation of activities to take over the role as 2024 Pro-Tempore Presidency of the Comprehensive Regional Protection and Solutions Framework (MIRPS).
Strengthen UNHCR’s capacities to support the Refugee Department in Belize with the preparation and implementation of secretariat activities related to its role chairing the 2024 Pro-Tempore Presidency of MIRPS, at the national, regional, and multilateral levels.
The LOCAL INDIVIDUAL CONTRACTOR, will support in the activities listed below:
1. Prepare written documentation related to the MIRPS.
2. Development of a broad network of stakeholders and possible donors, following the GRF pledges 2023.
3. Provide secretariat support to the implementation of the MIRPS Pro-Tempore Presidency work plan.
4. Support in organizing meetings in coordination with the MIRPS Technical Secretariat.
5. In coordination with the MIRPS Technical Secretariat, draft and dissemination of minutes, agreements, and other relevant documents related to the MIRPS Platform.
6. Draft of inputs for press releases, reports, and other communications activities within the MIRPS. As well as prepare the draft of the final report of the Pro-Tempore Presidency to be delivered at the end of the term.
7. Support in organizing workshops, meetings, and videoconferences with the MIRPS Technical Secretariat and other national and regional stakeholders, to advance the work of the MIRPS Pro-Tempore Presidency and to prepare minutes of the activities as requested.
8. Follow-up on Administrative and Logistical arrangements to organise press briefings and other events, such as workshop and conferences.
9. Contribute to the production of information material for innovative public awareness campaigns and for the preparation of in-house bulletins, newsletters and information kits by contributing to articles, reports and other information gathered from various sources; liaise with printers concerning brochures and publications published by the office.
10. Draft routine correspondence and texts for the office’s website and maintain information databases.
11. Compile and distribute a daily news clipping service.
12. Distribute press statements and similar information to media, to other offices.
13. Maintain up-to-date filing system and appointments diary.
14. Plan and implement public information events and activities pertaining to MIRPS
15. Any additional tasks related to the MIRPS, as requested by the Refugees Department, the MIRPS team, and the Technical Secretariat.
The Local Individual Contractor will be supervised by the Senior Legal Officer, MIRPS Focal Point at the Refugees Department, in close coordination with the Director of the Refugees Department in Belize.
A monthly report shall be submitted on the activities carried out during the contract.
5. MINIMUM ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Education & Professional Work Experience
For G4 1-year relevant experience with a High School Diploma; or Bachelor or equivalent or higher.
Field(s) of Education
Completion of Secondary education with post-secondary training in International Relations, Journalism, Political Science or related field.
Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Completion of specific training relevant to functions of the position.
* IT-Computer Literacy
* CL-Multi-stakeholder Communications with Partners, Government & Community
* CO-Drafting and Documentation
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Client & Result Orientation
Teamwork & Collaboration
Commitment to Continuous Learning
Planning and Organizing
Fluency in both English and Spanish is required for this position.
LICA 4 position to support MIRPS pro tempore presidency of Belize.This position doesn’t require a functional clearance