Hardship Level (not applicable for home-based)
Family Type (not applicable for home-based)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
February 5, 2024
Terms of Reference
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is mandated to lead and coordinate international action to protect and assist refugees and other persons of concern. The Private Sector Partnerships Service (PSP) sits within UNHCR’s Division of External Relations (DER) and is responsible for mobilizing resources for refugees from the private sector. UNHCR has a fundraising strategy in place for 2018-2025. This strategy focuses on both Individual Giving (IG) and Private Sector Partnerships and Philanthropy (PPH) and identifies priority fundraising markets and regions.
Individual Giving (IG) is targeted at the general public to secure the support of individuals through regular, unrestricted donations, cash appeals and legacies. The aim is to generate both monthly and one-time donations from individuals using various channels and methods including direct mail, face-to-face fundraising, telemarketing, digital fundraising, DRTV and emergency fundraising, with focus on strong donor loyalty and lifetime value.
The Private Partnership and Philanthropy (PPH) section of PSP develops and strengthens long-term partnerships with companies, foundations, and high-net worth individuals. This includes leveraging the capacities of this segment to build long lasting partnerships that goes beyond resources but expands to advocacy, communications, marketing, and public engagement.
PSP Hong Kong has been growing its capacity in Hong Kong and Macao SARs since 2007. To maintain the successful income growth of PSP Hong Kong, it is vital that the UNHCR brand continues to be developed and community managed so that existing donors and prospect audiences understand and view UNHCR positively with a view to providing financial and non-financial supports.
Reporting to the Private Sector Partnerships Officer, this position will sit within the Digital and Communications team of PSP Hong Kong which aims to deliver on UNHCR’s Global Communication Strategy which identifies committed individual donors and the private sector as some of the key partners to achieve the three objectives of: leading the narrative, generating empathy, and mobilizing action in support of refugees and forcibly displaced people.
Candidate is required to have the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China’s permanent residence, and it is the United Nations Office for Project Services position, UNOPS, with a contract which is renewable each calendar year.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
– Provide functional guidance to a small team to develop communications strategy for Hong Kong PSP and ensure all work is progressing to plan as well as defining objectives, reviewing performance, and managing budget, regularly.
– Act as the focal point with the communications functions in Beijing Country Office, PSP APAC and HQs
– Cultivate a keen understanding of our target audiences—including an up-to-the-minute grasp of the methods and tone of voice that resonate deeply, win trust and spark quality engagement.
– Establish close working relationships with relevant online and offline media outlets to promote and ensure the dissemination of UNHCR aims, activities and principle.
– Monitor news and popular trends to insert UNHCR’s messaging into ongoing conversations; identify key moments for proactive communications.
– Assist in development of working relationships with Goodwill Ambassadors and other influencers.
– Co-ordinate fundraising communications and donor acquisition activities through various Individual Giving channels
– Plan and organise on/offline advertisements, exhibitions, training seminars, conferences, meetings, social events and other activities to promote a better understanding of and generate funding for UNHCR.
– Coordinate the response of emergency fundraising and communications opportunities within Hong Kong and Macao.
– Adapt, develop and manage the Emergency Fundraising Standard Operation Procedure.
– Crisis communications related to PSP operations and partnerships in Asia & Pacific are responded quickly, in coordination with relevant internal stakeholders, and minimizing reputational damage.
– Act as focal point of local community such as schools and education institutions, NGOs, to manage public talks and fundraising initiatives.
– Support communications work for Face-to-face, existing donors and PPH teams, through improving the quality and consistency of on/offline communication materials and content through managing style guides, templates and proofreading in line with the UNHCR brand and communications guidelines.
– Perform other related duties as required.
3. Monitoring and Progress Controls
a. Communications, engagement and fundraising KPIs achieved within budgeted expenditure.
b. Define insights and learnings achieved.
c. Fortnight work report to supervisor.
d. Project report and evaluation to supervisor; and
e. Quarterly reports and half-yearly evaluations.
4. Qualifications and Experience
– Undergraduate degree in communications, marketing, journalism, or other relevant fields
b. Work Experience
– 1-year relevant experience with Undergraduate degree or no experience with Master Degree or higher
– Minimum one year of relevant professional work experience including proven track records in marketing, communications, media, fundraising or related field as well as managing budget and integrated communications and campaigns.
– Proven experience in driving the implementation of global communication strategy to local office.
– Proven experience in community management and media relationship engagement.
– Experience in managing internal stakeholders, external vendors, clients, and partners.
– Experience working on advocacy campaigns.
– Experience working with goodwill ambassadors and other high-profile influencers.
– Experience with brand management.
– Experience with measurement and evaluation, especially providing analysis of media coverage, social media engagement, web traffic, etc. Experience reporting, writing, editing for magazines, newspapers and websites.
– Experience using digital asset management systems.
– Experience with digital analytics and performance reporting.
c. Key Competencies
(Technical knowledge, skills, managerial competencies or other personal competencies relevant to the performance of the assignment. Clearly distinguish between required and desired competencies)
• Essential Skills:
– High proficiency in written and spoken Chinese (Cantonese and Putonghua) and English with ability to edit, write and translate communications materials in English and Chinese for external media outlets.
– Vast knowledge of communications measure metrics.
– Strong ability to analyse data for decision making based on data and analysis insights.
– Strong in project management skills.
– Proven ability to deal with multiple tasks in a courteous and service-oriented manner in a demanding working condition that often functions on short-term deadlines.
– Knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 products; and
– Strong public speaking skills.
• Personal Attributes:
– Ability to interact, persuade and negotiate with people from different backgrounds and at all levels of seniority.
– A team player.
– Strong interpersonal skills.
– Discipline and compliance.
– Punctual, confident and motivated.
– Mature and organized, with attention to detail.
– Ability to work under pressure.
– Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends, occasionally; and
– Availability to travel both domestically and occasionally overseas.
Bachelor of Arts (BA) (Required), Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Masters of Arts (MA), Masters of Business Administration (MBA)
n/aThis position doesn’t require a functional clearance