Job Opening ID: 226451
Job Network : Political, Peace and Humanitarian
Job Family : Electoral Affairs
Category and Level : Professional and Higher Categories, P-4
Duty Station : Juba
Department/Office : United Nations Mission in the Republic of South Sudan
Date Posted : Jan 23, 2024
Deadline : Feb 6, 2024
Org. Setting and Reporting
The position is in the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS). The position is based in Juba and is located in the Electoral Affairs Division (EAD). The Electoral Officer (Logistics) will report to the Senior Electoral Officer.
The United Nations Security Council adopted resolution 2567 (2021) deciding that UNMISS’s mandate is designed to advance a three-year strategic vision to prevent a return to civil war in South Sudan, to build durable peace at the local and national levels, and to support inclusive and accountable governance and free, fair, and peaceful elections in accordance with the Revitalised Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in the Republic of South Sudan (R- ARCSS). Furthermore, Security Council Resolution 2677 (2023) called on the UNMISS to provide technical assistance, to include capacity-building, and logistical support for the electoral process, as appropriate, in coordination with the United Nations Country Team and regional and international partners as well as security support to facilitate the electoral cycle, consistent with the R-ARCSS.
Within delegated authority, the Electoral Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Implement, and often supervise the implementation of, electoral programs and processes in the following areas: logistics and administrative support.
• Provide technical assistance and advise in support of logistic operations activities of National Elections Commission (NEC) at both HQ and Field Offices to ensure the planning, delivery and retrieval of election materials across South Sudan in support of electoral activities.
• Advise on the design and assist in conducting assessments of logistics, asset management and warehousing needs of NEC at both HQ and Field Offices.
• Advise and assist in the development of logistics plans for daily activities of NEC and detailed distribution and retrieval plans in support of electoral events (including public outreach, boundary delimitation, voter registration, candidate nomination, polling and counting and result management).
• Assist NEC in determining and drafting technical specifications for electoral logistical support for equipment, materials, transportation and other support contracts as requested.
• Advises NEC on the electoral materials planning, tracking, distribution, storage and retrieval.
• Advise NEC on coordination with the Security Services to determine security support, operational planning in the transportation and retrieval of election associated materials and Staff members.
• Advise NEC’s Assets and Warehouse staff on responsible management of their warehouses by use of best practices.
• Guide and assist in the assessment on availability of warehouse space and assists in the preparation of a report for the Logistics, Asset Management and Warehouse Units on the productivity and operational quality of the warehouse operations to ensure improvement in costs savings in operational needs and processes, man-hours, space, and related costs to the NEC.
• Advise the Warehouse Unit in the preparation of a Warehouse Management Plan to include both non-election and election related goods and materials.
• Support and advise the Logistics Unit on comprehensive logistics, asset management and transport procedures are implemented to support daily and election operational needs to ensure the successful execution of such tasks.
• Contribute, and often supervise the contribution to, capacity-building of national counterparts and strengthening of national institutions.
• If required, supervise and manage the performance of national and international staff assigned to the area of responsibility.
• Establish and maintain professional and productive partnerships with national counterparts and other key stakeholders in the electoral process.
• If required, compile and provide regular briefings and reports in the assigned area of responsibility in close collaboration with other relevant partners.
• Perform other related duties as required.
Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
The Electoral Officer will interact frequently with the United Nations Integrated Electoral Assistance Team (IEAT) members, especially with his/her supervisor, Officers in UNMISS, and other UN agencies (e.g. UNDP), staff of specialized agencies, representatives of the Government, TNLA and other relevant national interlocutors, National Election Commission, Political Parties Council.
• The support of the United Nations in the area of responsibility contributes to credible and inclusive elections.
• The United Nations mandated support in the area of responsibility is implemented effectively, using resources efficiently and minimizing risks to the organization.
• The supervisor has access to accurate and timely information as well as advice on the electoral process and its implications.
• Professionalism: Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter, notably in-depth understanding of and ability to evaluate electoral processes, knowledge of electoral processes and their technical and political implications; takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing; shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
• Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in political science international economics, international relations, law, public administration, or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
Job – Specific Qualification
Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in elections and related areas in at least three (3) countries of which, at least three (3) years of experience in supervising, implementing, supporting or advising on electoral processes in the area of Electoral Logistics is required.
United Nations electoral experience in a peacekeeping operation, political mission and/or a UN agency or other relevant international electoral experience is required.
Experience in electoral logistics is required.
Experience working in developing countries is required.
Experience in managing projects is desirable.
Previous experience of managing teams of different backgrounds is desirable.
Experience in bilateral or multilateral negotiations is desirable.
Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
Experience in post-conflict situations is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required.